I hate this-do you?

Jujuma

O.G.
Nov 9, 2009
Bought a new coat tonight, an Andrew Marc Aanorak, we're getting a storm tonight! The problem? I bought a medium not small. I'm always a small! The small felt like it would be tight with heavy sweaters, so the medium. But now I'm obsessing that it might be baggy and make me look dumpy. I know it's all because of a size. Am I nuts or do you do this too?

Jujuma said:
Bought a new coat tonight, an Andrew Marc Aanorak, we're getting a storm tonight! The problem? I bought a medium not small. I'm always a small! The small felt like it would be tight with heavy sweaters, so the medium. But now I'm obsessing that it might be baggy and make me look dumpy. I know it's all because of a size. Am I nuts or do you do this too?

Yeah I often do that too :shame:

It is amazing how much we can obsess over what the tag says. I often buy something that I'm sure of at the time and then I do the same as you and wonder if it is going to be too big/small because I ALWAYS buy a different size. Fortunately, that feeling usually goes away when I put it on again and check it out in the mirror. Usually my gut feeling was right when I bought it and I can again see why I bought whichever size I bought. I would bet you made the right decision with a winter coat, and you won't look dumpy! I usually find myself reaching for the coats I have that have enough shoulder room when I am wearing a sweater and not the more fitted ones, so I don't think that a size up in a winter coat is necessarily a bad thing.

yeah I hate that. I just bought a pair of pants that I was doing the same thing over. one size fits fine tho the butt is a little tighter than I would have liked however the next size up was huge and I can hardly keep them up. I went with the fitted ones and hope the butt will stretch a little lol.

My DBF has to constantly remind me to not buy my clothes/shoes so big. I always end up with one size too large. It always seems like special last minute purchases never end up quite right. If you can just exchange it and wear something else. If not, try alterations?

Haha, yes I used to! Thankfully I started wearing vintage clothes and the sizes differ so much from era to era that I have everything from a xs to a l in my wardrobe. Now I just go by measurements or feel and stop worrying. Even modern retailers don't have standard sizing and the labels just can't be trusted.

After tossing and turning all night I wore it out to go to the gym in a snow storm and it was perfect. The extra room was good for my sweat shirt. I hate when I worry about dumb things! We are talking about a bad weather coat. Thanks for helping me put things in perspective.

I have a tailor who has done all sorts of things for me. I've had a classic Burberry trench coat altered several times, and a shearling coat made narrower all over with a new belt made.
Like you, I hate it when things are too big, even coats for wearing to the gym. If I were you I'd wear it without altering for a while, then if I want to make it smaller take it to a tailor and ask what can be done. I might decide it's cheaper to buy a smaller coat and keep the roomy one just for going to the gym.
I have a lot of coats and I actually have one just for the gym.