I hate the stars

justbrowsing

Jan 9, 2007
Someone just gave me a low rating on my shipping and handeling charges and it was free PRIORITY INSURED shipping!! What is wrong with people. She said she thought it was reasonable and not outrageous but yet couldn't give me a 5?? What would I have needed to do? Hand deliver it within minutes of the auctions end? People can be such friggin idiots. Sorry, I had to rant!! Also, I get rated low on my shipping all the time and I would say 9 out of 10 times I don't charge enough shipping. These people don't even look at the box when it arrives to see what I pay.

My starts always seem to stay the same. No matter how low I make my shipping, how much I communicate, or how descriptive I was. Not that there bad they just dont change.

I have heard on the PS boards (or it could have been here, not sure) about people running into buyers who refuse to leave a a five. One actually stated that he only ever gave out 3's. I think the way it is worded is wrong.

How was it described: 3 is neither accurate or in accurate, 4 is accurate, 5 is very accurate......either it is accurate or it isn't but how can it be VERY accurate?? As a buyer I always leave 5 stars. 4 Imo should be the highest star and they should get rid of 5 all together.

The star system is flawed just like the fb! That sucks that they gave you a low star rating on shipping. I would leave note of it in your fb for her if you haven't already left it.

Some people are just

The star system is flawed big time, no one should be 'rating' shipping costs when they are explicitly stated upfront. I mean, that would also be like also 'rating' the price of the item itself when the bidder bid up to that price, lol.

If a seller states the shipping upfront and a buyer does not like the shipping cost, they have the option to not shop and go somewhere else. If it is outrageously expensive, for instance, selling a postcard item for BIN of .99 with shipping costs of $9.99, then that is clear cheating of the system, no one should be buying it, just reporting should suffice.

I have read on the boards that some buyers will rate a '3' any package that does not show the shipping costs on the label. They do so automatically whether the shipping cost was FREE or whether it was exactly quoted by weight/zip code without a handling charge. The buyers rate it as it is (not being able to see the cost on the label) and so they give the seller a 'neutral' (3) rating.

My starts always seem to stay the same. No matter how low I make my shipping, how much I communicate, or how descriptive I was. Not that there bad they just dont change.

Yup, same here.
I have 4.9 on all but a 4.8 on shipping time.
I don't know HOW I can ship any dang faster, I ship the either same or the next day, it's not like I control how long it actually takes for them to GET the package.
It's like I'm supposed to upgrade to next day for free for everything when they only pay for First Class or Media Mail. Ugh.

4.9 on communication- I email when I ship it and ask that they email me when they receive it. What more do they want?
4.9 on shipping charges- um half the time I eat extra shipping charges and I only charge the flat rate prices if I'm using one of the flat rate boxes. I refuse to offer free shipping unless I can put a single first class postage stamp on it.
4.9 on item description- so I put in as much detail as I can in every auction and if someone needs more info, I gladly give it to them. Sooo...why is my rating still 4.9?

I'd seriously bet that my ratings are like that because of that annoying lady who didn't even bother to read my auction about the dvd set that was opened (like I stated 10 times and pictured opened) then said she was going to give me a neutral because she thought it was sealed. Uh yeah ok.

At least out of my 860 (unique) fb comments, I still have 100%.

I have read on the boards that some buyers will rate a '3' any package that does not show the shipping costs on the label. They do so automatically whether the shipping cost was FREE or whether it was exactly quoted by weight/zip code without a handling charge. The buyers rate it as it is (not being able to see the cost on the label) and so they give the seller a 'neutral' (3) rating.

:wtf:
This is exactly why there should be a BUYER star rating system too.

I think if the buyer is happy with the item, it all gets high ratings. If not or if a bit of remorse is bugging them they rate all the points low. I dont hink much thought goes into it.

All of my stars were perfect until my last buyer. I(read:Stupid ebay's shipping calculator)undercharged her by $4+ and I paid it, no problem. She must have left a 3 or lower. The rating system bites! I normally don't really pay attention to anyone elses star ratings though, just the feedback

ebay's new rating system is stupid and unfair to sellers. they try to manipulate sellers into bending over more than backwards to save a couple of cents. to me, it's not worth the headaches, so i just charge whatever shipping i feel like. even if you offer free shipping, some people will still not be satisfied, so you may as well charge something for it... my experiences anyway.

Buyers do not take into account all the factors in shipping. You have to buy bubble envelopes, bubble wrap or wrapping paper, sellotape, large brown tape, time wrapping, petrol to Post Office these are all legitimate costs involved in selling over & above the actual cost of shipping, . Then paypal takes their cut from the money!

The star system is flawed big time, no one should be 'rating' shipping costs when they are explicitly stated upfront. I mean, that would also be like also 'rating' the price of the item itself when the bidder bid up to that price, lol.

If a seller states the shipping upfront and a buyer does not like the shipping cost, they have the option to not shop and go somewhere else. If it is outrageously expensive, for instance, selling a postcard item for BIN of .99 with shipping costs of $9.99, then that is clear cheating of the system, no one should be buying it, just reporting should suffice.

Almost every package that I recieve from any major retail store such as: Nieman's, Active endeavors, office depot, walmart, best buy etc....does not have the amount of the postage on the label.

I have been selling on ebay for 5 years and if a buyer does not like my shipping he can shop elsewhere. I have packing supplies cost, time and gas involoved in shipping.

I dont even look at the stars, I could care less. I am a good seller and give good customer service. I dont look at the stars as a buyer either.

People will always find something to complain about.

^I agree!

I just sold an item and shipped it quickly and on my fb, the lady says "arrived fast, good condition." Um no it's in EXCELLENT condition because it was never taken out of the box and I put it in a much larger box for shipping and padded it to death with bubble wrapping and tissue paper. Oh well. Whatever.

I was going to start a rant thread about this! The DSR ratings are a joke and completely unfair. Sellers are really getting the shaft nowadays and it's maddening! I am constantly getting "dinged" on my shipping costs, even though the majority of the time I don't charge enough and pay out of pocket. I always send with signature confirmation, fully insured and for international shipping I use EMS only. I don't think buyers really understand how much shipping plus insurance costs, but on a $1K-$2K bag, it's a lot. No only that but they may think giving a "3" is fine and fair, and don't think much about it, but ebay looks upon it as a negative thing. I have even gotten an email from ebay about things I can do to "improve" my DSR ratings and how the sellers with the highest DSR ratings will be shown at the top of their new "default" listings. I don't think ebay understands that this system is so flawed and some buyers just don't know or care to use that system fairly. At this point, only if I shipped something overnight, with full insurance, and I PAID THE BUYER for the shipping costs, do I think I would get a 5 Star rating on that. I don't know what to do about it.