I hate snooty customers, that think they are all that

yup my first job was at the gap. i refused to work at the cash registers, blamed it on my height, i'm too short to see over the counter. LOL. so on my first day working on the floor in the women's section this old lady asked me where she could find these black pants. and since it was my first day, i had no idea what kind of pants or even where they could be. i didn't know the layout of the floor yet. so i brought her over to where i saw capri's maybe they were those? and she started yelling at me, and accused me of laughing at her!!! i was completely mortified. i mean, it was my first day!!! luckily one of my co workers saw me in distress and came over to take her away from me. thank god.

but days got better after that. but boy were there some stories i could tell.

I do think some shoppers can be really silly, but I think for the most part the tude you give is the one you get. Some SAs just make it so clear they don't want to help you or act like they own the store. I just don't see why people work retail if they're not a people person. One of my peeves is when the store has like a half an hour to close and the SAs get all p*ssy. If the store closes at 8, it close at 8. Not 7:30. I once in a tech store trying to buy a camera and the SAs were no help. I think I went at a decent time. Needless to say, I didn't buy anything from them.

From 18 to 22 I worked at a couple of record stores (back in the days of vinyl). I'd say hands down my worst customer was a Vietnam Vet who always would come in dressed in fatigues. He was a very pleasant guy - but all his dogs weren't barking - if you know what I mean. Anyway, one morning as I was getting ready to open the store, I hear the sound of a chainsaw outside. I figure the gardeners are trimming the hedges. Nope. It was our little friend "Agent Orange" trimming the hedges and anything else he could find. I quickly called the cops before he decided I needed a little trimming.

bagnshoofetish said:
From 18 to 22 I worked at a couple of record stores (back in the days of vinyl). I'd say hands down my worst customer was a Vietnam Vet who always would come in dressed in fatigues. He was a very pleasant guy - but all his dogs weren't barking - if you know what I mean. Anyway, one morning as I was getting ready to open the store, I hear the sound of a chainsaw outside. I figure the gardeners are trimming the hedges. Nope. It was our little friend "Agent Orange" trimming the hedges and anything else he could find. I quickly called the cops before he decided I needed a little trimming.

lol that's really scary.

my craziest summer was probably the day after thanksgiving - i was there for the morning rush, standing at my station along the line, when this crazy guy comes running and hurdles himself over the chest freezer i was standing next to (we used some of our stock to create disney-style winding lines the day after thanksgiving to keep track of all the folks). turns out he was trying to steal a PS2 by putting it into the box of a $30 crock pot when my boss caught him and he was trying to escape from the police.

amanda said:
lol that's really scary.

my craziest summer was probably the day after thanksgiving - i was there for the morning rush, standing at my station along the line, when this crazy guy comes running and hurdles himself over the chest freezer i was standing next to (we used some of our stock to create disney-style winding lines the day after thanksgiving to keep track of all the folks). turns out he was trying to steal a PS2 by putting it into the box of a $30 crock pot when my boss caught him and he was trying to escape from the police.
yikes! sounds like the kids who used to shove about thirty 12" vinyl singles down their pants and run out the door!

look! I AM a people person, I love working with them in retail, but some people are just effing pushing it, and SA's are only human too. :smile:

ANYWAYS. back to complaining about my customers... :-P

I've had so many customers treat me like a slave, I can't even count to amount of times I've had stuff shoved in my arms ( I'll usually ask if someone wants something carried!) and had someone bark at me to run it up to the register for them.

People tend to get REALLY nasty about returns too. If I ask any questions, they get really defensive. We once had this customer that would consistantly shoplift items and then return them for merchendise credit! A couple girls had literally SEEN her walk out with things, but since we could never catch her in the store we couldn't do anything about it. ( most stores have very few ways to catch a shoplifter- we're not allowed to confront anyone about it when they're in the store.)

I've had people hand me their trash...

hmm, my least favorite customer ever had ot have been this mother/daughter combo ( older, the daughter was easily in her 40s) shopping during our big semi annual sale. I'd been working for a long time at the register, and during sale you literally can stand at a register for 4 hours just ringing and ringing! So, she asked me after I rung up every single product "did it ring up on sale?" and she was SO rude about it. Her and her mother kept making really snide comments and were totally rude to me. So, I finally cracked and said "you two have a NICE night" in my most sarcastically happy voice ever.

They went and complained to my manager, saying that they didn't like my tone and that I was a very rude SA.

I told my manager the story, and she laughed, she knows I'm an angel 99% of the time, so she didn't care. haha, I'm getting aggrevated just thinking about those two! lol

PS. I LOVE when kids come into the store ( unless they chew on things, then that's icky!) They're usually so cute, and I'll try to entertain them while helping their parents out. We actually get trained on how to best accomodate shopping mommy's!

i hate "snooty people" in general lol,but at times SA are a pain in also,just as custumers. Last thursday night my dad drove me to Staple's to get ink for my ink eating printer(I had a project due the next day)Staples closes at 8 pm.. by 7:20 the doors where closed.. I drove 20 min for nothing... I think its rude when custumers treat the SA like they are under them,it gets me sick. My mom is a SA at a jewlery store.She has been works at a custom jewlery store that is wholesale & Retail(alot of Tv stylists come there,and people who own businesses around the world. This one lady came in,and started bothering my mom because she wanted wholesale price for one pair earings (you must buy 12 items to get wholesale price).... she started cursing,and screaming... some people in the world are just plain stupid.

I work at the St. George Theater in SI, right by the ferry terminal. Most of the times I'll be an usher, but sometimes I may have to sell light up toys. These things break 90% of the time, but of course when they break I'm supposed to give them a new one, or if they ask, a refund. I don't argue, I know they break, I've dropped them before. But I've had people come up to me yelling at me, saying how could I sell this to them, their kid is upset. I'm just like calm down, here's a new one. But one day we had this little kids show, Calliou there, and they had their own merchandise including $10 lights (ours are normally $3-$5), shirts, stuff like that. I was working with a friend of mine and we were getting the lights out, and most of them weren't working! Parents were yelling at us, at one point, it was the middle of the show so some lady came to get one and we were looking for a working light and I go "I'm terribly sorry for the delay, we're trying to find one that works" and she goes to me, in this snooty tone "Well I don't care, its for my daughter!". And then some parents wouldn't buy them cause the stringy part of the light was curved, I'm like, it still works, its fine. But that wasn't pleasant.

And over the summer I worked at a neurologists' office and one of my jobs was to call the patients to confirm the appointments. One guy I called started yelling at me about something that happened, so one of the older women told me to transfer him to her so she could help him cause she saw I was getting upset. So I was sitting there going "Sir, I'm going to transfer you now", being nice, and he goes to me "Do you speak English" and started making fun of me, so I basically yelled him "I'm transferring you now" and slammed down the phone because I was so upset.

I work part-time at a more of a high end department store, we get all sorts there too...

I work at the glassware department and about once or twice a month there comes this really sleezy lookin man, in his late 40's and totally stares all the women SA's.... Like creepola stare, the he usually picks one to help him and stares (and tries to grope) some more... he usually buys one glass.. and different every time. We figured he already has about 40 missmatched mugs and glasses... :weird:

During Christmas it's usually the worst, everyone is so stressed out. But there was this elderly woman who got really crossed with the personnel... She was searching for a designer lamp we had on a loyal customer discount. We searched everywhere and came into conclusion that we didn't have any although we were quite certain we should have had some. I checked from the computer that we had some in another of our dept. stores. The woman was in a hurry and just left her name and told me to reserve one of those for her to pick up and rushed off. When after 30 min. of trying I got someone to pick up the phone all the lamps were sold. I couldn't even phone the woman since she gave me no number...The woman called us later having had a useless trip to the other store completely pissed and it happened so that the lamps we were sure we had received were found at the other side of the our store, which made the woman even more angry. The next day she came to pick up the lamp (I was lucky enough to serve her again :suspiciou ) she practically screamed to my face that she wanted some kind of compensation and that we were very bad at our jobs... After I had given her a couple of café coupons (the best I could do) she just couldn't settle it at that... But finally we got into an agreement and she paid for the lamp and when she gave me her loyal customer card I nearly fainted.... she was personnel herself :amazed: No one working at the department store would have been that mean... they know how things can get messed upand all... My collegues, who were as much spooked by her behaviour, couldn't believe that she actually worked in the same department store...

Whoa, it felt good to vent a little :amuse: