I had a nightmare...

Status
Not open for further replies.
^something tells me that this has already started. Especially with recent talk about Birkins readily available on the shelves, decline in quality, and the planned opening of countless more stores plus expansion to other countries.

Wow, good insight from so many members, thanks for that. i like to know what you think and you all make a lot of good points. i don't buy my bags hoping to resell them later, my fear is more based on feeling like i made a mistake later on and have wasted cash on a whim. it hasn't been a whim so far, but i may feel it was whimsical if their value bottoms out. this might sound contradictory but it's hard for me to pin it down in words i guess. i never expect to want to sell any of them. but if they become worthless, i will probably feel very foolish. but then i'll still carry what i've got.

Read this thread again and I would have to say that I am taking a wait and see attitude. I have just about everything that I have wanted to get. I have never nor will I ever be paying the absurd inflated prices of certain resellers. If Hermes starts churning out sub-par products then it will only make the existing bags that we all own more valuable. I know that is certainly the case with other designer brands like Louis Vuitton.

I look at the bags as I look at my jewelry. I buy it because I like it, not because I think it will go up in value. If it goes up because I have had it a long time, fine. I am not buying to sell it, but to enjoy it. This sentiment has been stated by just about all the women writing on this particular thread and it is the most rational. Unless you are in the bag reselling business, or can't afford these bags and need the cash ASAP I don't think there is cause of alarm.

Whenever I make a high purchase I do consider it both as money well spent ie and investmant, and something I enjoy, I am a single person with just one income but all the outgoings of two, eg mortgage, council taxes etc.

So personally I have to spend money wisely, I am also self employed and it can be feast or famine, so I like to think if the chips are down, I could sell my H, items for the amount I paid for them, just makes me feel more secure re my spend. I also do this calculation with any art or antiques I may splash out on.

Life is short, and must never be taken for granted, so I say enjoy, be wise, and spend according to budget, and be happy with that dont't envy others, because its not important if others have more, or better.

well i see my bags as toys they may hold their value better then other brands but essentially as with all toys one should buy them to enjoy them and so write the money off. if the bring back monesy or even gains money fabulous if not fine too if you buy them just as an investment bad idea invest your money in better ways.
and i agree markets go up and down constantly so sometimes it is better to just relax and sit it out. ah and btw all what you said could be appplied to nearly everthing (art jewellery real estate etc) everything we put a value on is only worth something because another person is willing to pay for it. take a van gogh it maybe worth millions but if nooone is willed to pay for it is is worth nothing heck not even cold hard cash is a gurantee . so i do not take anything for granted and if the world dooms one day and we go back to hunting or collect berries in the wilderness hey i can still look good using my birkins as cute baskets lol

LOL! I agree with everything Lilach said!

It's my philosophy that luxury goods are more likely to be depreciating assets, not investment-grade appreciating assets. A nightmare for me would be if the stock market fell into a heap right when I was getting ready to retire.

And to top off this off, i have started to worry about them putting birkins out on the shelves too. we all want to be able to buy what we want but part of the lure of them is their exclusivity and how difficult they are to obtain. that's not why i collect them - but they do make me feel special in a little bit of a shallow way. if hermes changes its pattern and to make more money they let the floodgates loose and stock birkins left and right out in the open, think of the flood of customers that will run in and buy it all after all the hype. what then? i won't love mine any less but their worth may go down. sigh. the kelly is probably what got me started thinking on all this. it's 6-7k in the store. once you bring it home, nobody wants to pay above 4 or 5 to take it off your hands. thank goodness i love my kelly bags anyway.
You must have eaten cheese before you went to bed. It always gives me nightmares!

Status
Not open for further replies.