I got "the speech" at an outlet

With that said, I think Coach should just change the policy instead of lecturing or making customers feel bad. I am sorry that happened to you.

+1

I am not a regular returner either (only ever returned one item that I can recall, and it was a mini skinny to exchange the color), so the policy doesn't really affect me much. But it *is* one of the most liberal I've ever seen. Every day that they keep it, continues to amaze me. And more importantly, it *would* prevent things like this from having to happen so unexpectedly and subjectively. :sad: :sad:

If Coach is actually trying to get some data points to use to make decisions, I don't think having the SAs ask these questions is going to be effective. Are the SAs really going to take the time to type in the customer's response? And if they do, is it reliable or some paraphrased version? If they are just clicking canned responses, then let the customer do that on their own time. I don't see outlet employees having time to do this anyway. I understand trying to make operational improvements to the process/customer experience, but let's first start with the basics, i.e. recording the correct return code and analyze that data. The majority of my returns have been due to defects, however I don't think any of the receipts noted this, but rather said "changed mind". Then the survey could be a good idea, or even targeted calls or requests for information to specific customers.

On the other hand, if Coach is asking these questions rather than directly allowing a manager to "ban" someone, then I am all for this. I would rather have an opportunity to explain my actions than be publicly banned in the store. I don't know at what point you become a "Chronic returner", but I would be put off to be called this, considering I own a pretty substantial $ of their products and I am not a reseller, but yes I have returned some things. The bags I have returned have all had their tags on, and never been used and I have never even put my things in them and are exactly as I have received them with paper on the hardware and all. I don't take anything off of them or out of them until I am ready to use the bag, however if I notice a defect then it gets returned as soon as possible. I think Coach's own actions and policies perpetuate returns in that in late 2012 I made a few fp pce purchases of legacy bags but did not use them because I was waiting for better weather and within 2-3 months, a majority of these bags were at the outlets, so having not used the bags I did return and rebuy. I learned my lesson that time though and have since not purchased FP unless it was something I absolutely had to have and was committed to using right away. Coach obviously has discretion in how they allow customers to use their return policy, so if they wanted to give me a talking to for doing this, that would be fine with me, again I would rather have them do this than ban me outright. Also, many SAs do urge customers to buy the bag and take it home and see how it works out, letting them know they can always return it if not used, so there is probably some training that should occur as well.

I also think it's a good point to make that changes to the return policy could increase the reselling, so I guess Coach is just going to have to weigh those options and understand which action is hurting their brand the most, but if people are following the return policy as it is currently written, I don't see how taking negative action towards those customers is warranted. I'm not saying there was negative action taken in this case (although, yes, I would be offended to have this conversation with an SA because in my mind, I am a good customer!), but it seems like that might be the direction they are heading. I think their problems are much bigger than this as seen in the other thread on the sinking NA sales, so is this really where they want to start? Potentially rubbing good current customers the wrong way? It seems like they are going out of their way to get rid of some of their current customer base. If they see a problem with the return policy, then change the policy and move on. I'm curious to see how any customer feedback on why they return would lead to any changes, which is why in some ways I do see this as a good idea, but the execution is lacking.

I got sent two boroughs from two separate stores due to some miscommuncation on the SAs part and now I'm worried to have to return this $500 bag that I will be put on some list. The one SA did offer to call my local store to explain the situation before I returned, which is nice, but I'm sure it will still be recorded as a return. Things like this just make me more hesitant to spend money with them!

OMG I can't imagine any other store questioning you like that in public. And was this person going to solve the issue for Coach with whatever information you provided? :nono:

I'll get ready for my next return as sometimes I change my mind...although the SA's at the store I go to seem very professional.

I think the word "chronic" was inappropriate.

I have done two returns to outlet, none to FP.

The first was an obviously defective item and I don't remember that being an issue.

The second was a perfect FP bag that I decided I didn't want. I ordered it from FOS to get free shipping for the shoes I wanted, I thought I would like it, but I couldn't make the color work.

The return process was lengthy. A manager was asked to help with the return. They said they could not find the items in the system, and kept asking me questions about the other item that I was keeping and were there other items in the order that were not on the packing list. I really don't know what the issue was. They were not rude or inappropriate, but it did seem strange that they were having so many problems with the return and asking me questions that seemed unrelated since I brought all the original packaging (except the shipping box) and more than enough paperwork. I returned the item the same week I received it.

After reading this thread, I am more likely not to order from FOS for two reasons:

(1) I am getting the impression that returns are not welcome at outlets, therefore I'm not going to order something sight unseen, because I'll never know if I'll like it.

(2) I am not willing to pay for shipping, and it's unlikely that I'll find $150 worth of stuff I want to keep in one flash sale.

When you order online, you are likely to return. It's unfortunate that you have to buy something just to look at it in person, but that's how it works. If the SAs are going to have "problems" with online returns, they need to find a new job, or accept that that is a reality of doing business today. I'm not going back to a store where I don't feel welcome, returns or no returns.

I think this kind of thing is definitely a precursor to them getting ready to change their return policies. Many other stores/brands have reduced their return time frame, and I won't be surprised if Coach follows suit. They also need to get their act in gear because their stock is not doing well. They have to answer to their shareholders and this might be one of the things that they are tossing around.

I feel bad for you OP. The SA was out of line....bad wording... bad timing.....all around bad. The day a company, any company, asks me why I return something that has tags on and within time frame of returns would be the day I quit shopping there. I'm returning it...it's obviously unused... and within timeframe of returns....because I don't want it!

Just wanted to share a story. I was at one of my Michigan outlets doing an exchange and one of the managers that rang me up started the following annoying conversation with me:

Her - "Is there something different we could do to help you with your purchases?"
Me - "I don't think so. Why do you ask?"
Her - "Well you seem to change your mind a lot, and I was just wondering if there was anything we could do to help you."
Me - "No, you guys are very helpful and nice, I just see things I like better, and I can't have everything I want, so I have to chose sometimes."
Her -"Oh ok. It's just that we are trying to understand the chronic returners, it's really a low percentage of our customers, but they are a target for this year, something we really need to work on as a company."
Me - "Oh, ok."

I was the picture of sweetness and nice, but I wasn't happy. If it's such a low percentage of customers then why worry about it?! And if I'm within the return policy then why should they care if I exchange? It's not like I'm asking for a refund, I'm getting a different bag - I realize it isn't a sale for them if its an exchange - I work in retail and I get that - but I would never ask a customer about their returns if the tags are attached and they have the receipt and they are are within the return policy!! Obviously they changed their mind! UGH has anyone else gotten this recently?!

Thanks!

Based on where we live I'm pretty sure we both shop at the same outlet(s). I have returned and bought a good bit of Coach and I would say that their stupid pricing policy leads to a lot of chronic returns. If I buy a bag full price or PCE or even outlet a full season ahead of when I am going to use it (summer bags are out now) and it shows up $50 or $100 cheaper before I get to use it, you can bet I'm returning it to rebuy!

If it is the outlet I am thinking of, they are extremely hard sell with the buy it, take it home (some even say, put your stuff in it) and bring it back ANY time there's no limit.
As a matter of fact the SA I posted about in the other thread pitched the hard sell at me with the bring it back any time "close the sale clincher."

In my opinion if Coach doesn't really want that, then change the policy. They would, I think, need to give notice, though. And I can tell you if they do, I will be scouring my unused bags to make sure I don't have any I want to return. I predict they would get dumped on then and their bottom line wouldn't like it.

I'm sorry but you hit a hot button with me... if they don't want liberal returns stop using that policy as a selling point. They cannot have it both ways.

In my personal case, I have become much more selective about what I buy. Yes, I cut my returns, Coach is happy, but I also cut my purchases. I cannot keep what I walk away from in the first place. Lately I have been walking away.

Seems like a great strategy-- encourage purchases with a liberal return policy, then slap people when they follow it. (sarcasm font)

Based on where we live I'm pretty sure we both shop at the same outlet(s). I have returned and bought a good bit of Coach and I would say that their stupid pricing policy leads to a lot of chronic returns. If I buy a bag full price or PCE or even outlet a full season ahead of when I am going to use it (summer bags are out now) and it shows up $50 or $100 cheaper before I get to use it, you can bet I'm returning it to rebuy!

If it is the outlet I am thinking of, they are extremely hard sell with the buy it, take it home (some even say, put your stuff in it) and bring it back ANY time there's no limit.
As a matter of fact the SA I posted about in the other thread pitched the hard sell at me with the bring it back any time "close the sale clincher."

In my opinion if Coach doesn't really want that, then change the policy. They would, I think, need to give notice, though. And I can tell you if they do, I will be scouring my unused bags to make sure I don't have any I want to return. I predict they would get dumped on then and their bottom line wouldn't like it.

I'm sorry but you hit a hot button with me... if they don't want liberal returns stop using that policy as a selling point. They cannot have it both ways.

In my personal case, I have become much more selective about what I buy. Yes, I cut my returns, Coach is happy, but I also cut my purchases. I cannot keep what I walk away from in the first place. Lately I have been walking away.

Seems like a great strategy-- encourage purchases with a liberal return policy, then slap people when they follow it. (sarcasm font)

Ridiculous! No one should be intimidated to buy or return!

I think this kind of thing is definitely a precursor to them getting ready to change their return policies. Many other stores/brands have reduced their return time frame, and I won't be surprised if Coach follows suit. They also need to get their act in gear because their stock is not doing well. They have to answer to their shareholders and this might be one of the things that they are tossing around.

They at least need to put a time limit on when an item can be returned. There's a thread of an outlet reveal posted just yesterday of a tPFer who found a bag that was released proabably 2 or 3 years ago. It's speculated that this FP bag, (Audrey Tote) was a return. While I'm happy that the person loves the bag and got a great deal at $67, WTH was someone doing holding this in their closet all this time?? Couldn't they decide if they liked it or not? Ridiculous! You know she walked out of that outlet with whatever she paid for that bag several years ago. No wonder Coach's stock is doing poorly.

I would have been mortified! I'm probably one of those that could be labelled a chronic returner. I have returned a lot of things, but I buy more than the average consumer too. I rarely return anything else, just Coach items. I've never used an item before returning, but I might keep something for months before deciding I'm never going to use it. A couple of years ago when I didn't have a local Coach store, I would keep a bag until we were traveling near a Coach store. Even now that we have an outlet somewhat nearby, it still takes some time to go there so I don't return immediately. Plus I'm terrified I'm going to get the speech so I put it off.

If you buy things online or over the phone, you can't be expected to know that you are going to like it until you get it. Also, if Coach would take more care in packing things, I wouldn't have received so many things that were damaged.

The return policy is one of the reasons I feel comfortable buying Coach over other brands. One time I bought a purse at MK and a few days later saw it in another color I liked better. Even though I hadn't used the one I bought, they wouldn't let me exchange it.

I'm thrilled when I find a bag at the outlet that someone returned after 2 or 3 years. That is how I ended up with my favorite bag, and at a fantastic price too.

If Coach wishes to change their return policy, then it is their responsibility to do so. Perhaps they should consider that instead of making rude comments to customers. If there is no return policy in place that is being violated, what is the problem, Coach?

First, the manner in which the issue was addressed appears to be in poor taste. The wording alone is spurious.

Second, if indeed this is new procedure to engage in querying customers, there'd better be more procedure to go along with it or the data that's being collected will be contaminated by lots of variables! For example, is the manager asking these questions immediately going somewhere to jot down , verbatim, what was stated by customer? Or is there a lag and activity in between that could impede upon someone's ability to recapture a conversation correctly? And if the customer responses are "verbatim" how sure is she that she got it captured correctly? And it's essential that when using questions to gather data, that consistent use of similarly worded questions be used. There's other issues with this method as well, but these examples expose the weakness here in a potential "procedure" like this.....

Third, knowing that Coach has some pretty skilled corporate talent in New York leading insights and analysis, it's doubtful that this is new procedure because in a busy setting, like a high volume / traffic outlet, that managers are being assigned the task of gathering insights and reporting back on them. OR, if they are, then the data they are gathering is contaminated and certainly not very useful!

Oh no...I had plans to return a bag to the outlet today and now I'm not. Maybe tomorrow. ha ha

I haven't returned too many things over the years. Only one bag to the FP store and the same plus a few smalls to the outlet. Oops, and a few items from the factory on-line store.

But I'm going tomorrow for sure. If I get the lecture I'll let the SA I can shop elsewhere. I'm within the return policy guidelines. Hmmm This is troubling at best. I do tend to buy more because of the liberal return policy and now have more bags than I've ever had before. So it seems like a win for Coach to me.

I'm so sorry that happened to you, Loveformitch! If it had been me with my social anxiety issues (when returning things to the store is stressful enough) I probably would have smiled though it then had a mini-breakdown in the car. What horrible wording! Coach has REALLY got to get their act together - there's a lot of not-great things happening on a lot of levels and it's driving customers away. Why can't they just act like a normal retail store instead of making things so complicated?

Thanks everyone! I would not blame them if they changed their return policy, but in the meantime don't blame the customer for your problems. I didn't mind her asking me at first but then she lost me with "chronic" and that I'm being "targeted." Poor choice of words. She has made a few teasing comments in the past that were fine like "ohhh what are you returning, I might want it!" I have never felt weird or had any comments at another outlet here in MI so I may be just going there from now on. Thanks for everyone's comments!!