I got my dresses back...but a bit of a problem

SuLi

O.G.
Nov 1, 2005
Hi everyone!

I posted a thread a few weeks ago about purchasing my eloping dress and a beautiful Zac Posen dress at Bergdorf's. I couldn't believe my good luck with finding the eloping dress and being offered a discount on it because of some quality issues.

Both dresses were delivered back to me from Bergdorf's. They did an amazing job fixing the snags on my eloping dress. I was more than pleased with the outcome. I also had them tailor the Zac Posen dress because the "straps" (not quite sure if you could call it that) were falling off my shoulders. Here's a picture of the dress in red so you can visualize it:

(Picture from Saks.com)

I believe they had to take the dress about two inches in. While they did an amazing job (you can't even tell the dress was altered), there was a slight problem when I tried it on. It didn't even occur to me at the time, but with the dress on now and given that it was taken up, my chest area now looks pointy (like cone boobs). I don't know if you can tell that the chest area of the dress is pleated (from the picture above). Somehow, post alterations, it hits my chest area strangely, because proportionately, the chest area was also "raised". I'm a 32B, so not overly busty. I don't know what to do now. I'm a little embarassed to post pictures.

Does my explanation make some sense? Does anyone have suggestions on what I should do? Is this something fixable, especially since I would imagine it would be difficult to ask them to let it down another inch.

Thank you for your help! :flowers:

I would go to your tailor and see what their opinion is. In the D.C. area, we have many expertly trained dress makers to choose from that are used to "working magic" on mistakes. Luckily, you have more than enough time before your wedding. Good Luck!

I would go to your tailor and see what their opinion is. In the D.C. area, we have many expertly trained dress makers to choose from that are used to "working magic" on mistakes. Luckily, you have more than enough time before your wedding. Good Luck!

Any particular recommendations? The most I've ever had to take care of, tailoring-wise, is pant hemming. Nothing as complicated as a designer dress. I don't want to go to just any tailor/seamstress with it. I don't know if I should just wait to go back to Bergdorf's and see if they can fix it for me. And, it's not my eloping dress that's the problem. The Zac dress is just for more formal/fun occassions. Thanks for your input!

I've had most of my dresses either altered or hemmed because they were too big. The one in Montgomery Mall in Bethesda does a really good job. They are kind of expensive, but my dress fit perfectly after. My bf also goes there to get his suits taken in.

I've also had my dresses altered at a dry cleaners in gaithersburg, they also do an amazing job taking dresses in. I had a T-bags dress altered here because the Montomgery Mall one wouldnt work on the jersey material. I think it's called D&D Cleaners. Let me know if you need more address info since I don't know where you are.

I'm so sorry to hear that, SuLi. I agree with the other posters. There are great tailors in this area who should be able to address the issue! Actually, you could even take the dress to Neimans to see if they can fix it for you locally. I would try asking NM first before taking it to a tailor. They will either fix it for you or recommend the tailor that they employ for alterations, etc. Good luck! I'm sure it will work out fine. :flowers:

That's a good idea to try Neimans. They should fix it. I would go that route before someone else because then if it doesn't work out I don't think you could return it. Maybe that dress just can't be altered that way? Or it was a bad job.

I've had most of my dresses either altered or hemmed because they were too big. The one in Montgomery Mall in Bethesda does a really good job. They are kind of expensive, but my dress fit perfectly after. My bf also goes there to get his suits taken in.

I've also had my dresses altered at a dry cleaners in gaithersburg, they also do an amazing job taking dresses in. I had a T-bags dress altered here because the Montomgery Mall one wouldnt work on the jersey material. I think it's called D&D Cleaners. Let me know if you need more address info since I don't know where you are.

I agree with this - they've done some great work for us.