I got an anonymous letter in the mail about my dog...

As upsetting as that letter was, you do have a responsibility to keep your dog quiet, even if it means extra work for you. You may not agree with or understand their point of view, but they are at least reaching out to you for a resolution.

My mother's neighbor sued her over her dog barking, and the legal ruling was that she had to either pay for her dog to be debarked or face removal of the dog by animal control...

Wow harsh. Why couldn't hiring a professional trainer be an option to atleast try? Was she warned several times or did this neighbor just jump into a lawsuit? Debarking is horrible.

Wow harsh. Why couldn't hiring a professional trainer be an option to atleast try? Was she warned several times or did this neighbor just jump into a lawsuit? Debarking is horrible.

Yeah, my parents bought a sheltie who had previously been debarked. She sounded horse everytime she would try to bark, it was so sad. Over the years she got her bark back so either it's not a permanent "solution" or the vet that did it was bad.

mangoshimmer- he was in his crate and simply did not want to sleep. he's barked before and knew he can get out of his crate if he barks. everyone says to ignore the barking and the dog will learn that way. so after that 1 night, he did learn and now even if he barks twice he knows it won't get him out so he stops and sleeps. honestly, i don't know how you would have taught him or quieted him down because i've tried everything under the sun and ignoring him for that amount of time was the only thing that permanently worked.

surferchick2- i fully understand that people work or go to school or just want some peace at night so of course i felt bad for letting my dog bark but i think it would be far worse for him to never learn and to bark all the time and have people give in to his wants.

dallas- i think it is odd to have someone get so upset when a dog literally steps onto their grass for 5 seconds. wandering on their property is different than stepping foot on their grass. my dog was less than 6 months old at the time and the man knew he was just a puppy and always leashed. we have other neighbors who do not leash their dogs and their dogs are unfriendly; i would think that is a bigger concern than my puppy's curiosity...

Yeah, my parents bought a sheltie who had previously been debarked. She sounded horse everytime she would try to bark, it was so sad. Over the years she got her bark back so either it's not a permanent "solution" or the vet that did it was bad.

OH, no I agree- it was a terrible choice to have to make. She did have a trainer coming once she knew the neighbors were upset, but once their lawsuit was in effect (the neighbors just jumped into it without much willingness to work out a solution ahead of it), the judge rejected my mother's proposal of allowing the training to be the solution. The ruling was that she either had to get rid of her 2 dogs, and remove them to another county OR keep them, but have them surgically debarked. She couldn't get rid of them, so with alot of tears she went the debarking route.

That's sad. One of my poms was a 12 y/o rescue who had been debarked. The previous owner was an elderly lady who had to go into a nursing home, so maybe she was in the same situation. I felt so bad for her, her barks sounded like peeps. I don't know what I would have done. Luckily my parents live near by so I would have taken my dog there for the time being and try to train him then, but not everyone has that option. That judge sounded unreasonable and had no compassion for animals. He/she could have dismissed the case without prejudice and give her a timeframe to have her dog trained first I think (not sure if that can happen in this case). She had already started the ball rolling and what's another month or two if it could mean avoiding the removal of his vocal cords for the next 10 to 15 years.

From the times you stated they seem a little upset over nothing, however, I think the letter is better than them going to the local law office ( not sure what they are called where you live).
I am dog lover (and owner) who can also see where the complaint writers are coming from. My DH ( who used to do shift work) and myself were almost driven insane by the people next to us who bought a working breed and threw it the back yard. Of course it was bored witless and barked and barked and barked outside our bedroom window - non stop day AND night. When I kept explaining to them nicely they just laughed.:cursing:

I have to tell you that I myself wrote an anonymous note to a neighbor once about their barking dog. It was last summer and I happened to have one day off during the week from work. It was a beautiful day out so I decided to go outside in my yard with my own two dogs and work in my garden. Well about a half our into gardening I could not take the noise anymore from the barking dogs down the street. I walked down the road to see these two lil terrier dogs just having at it for no reason whatsoever. My dogs were tagging along by my side but they were not barking because they were "trained". I saw that there was a car in the driveway so I knew someone was home. I walked back home and went inside and thought about what to do. Even in my house I could hear the dogs so on a nice day I had to shut the windows. It was ridiculous. I was a prisoner in my own house because some irresponsible person didnt give a care about the people they had to live near. How unfair. One day off and I had to be subjected to this. If I can hear the dogs they certainly could too. How would they like if I just sat in my car in the driveway and just honked my horn for hours on end? That wouldnt fly I can guaruntee you that. So I sat down to write a letter. Because you know...in this screwed up world we live in...if you personally go to a person and ask politely to quite the dogs down, they will get all spiteful and probably do some damage to your house or just let the dogs out even more. You see this is the world we live in. People are so damn inconsiderate. Instead of feeling shame, they retaliate. Go figure? So I wrote my note. And as of today....those dogs are still barking. They dont care. I know my summer is going to be a living hell. So what am I do do? Move? Because someone cant train there dog? Yes dogs do bark from time to time. For a reason. If you have an animal ...train it! Would you let your kid scream for no reason outside for 20 min at a pop? No ...cause you would train it not to. I cannot stand people that get an animal and do not teach it write from wrong. Why bother? I think what your neighbor did is completely valid. And that you should feel bad for causing this disturbance and furthermore train your animal. Unfortunately there are more inconsiderate people in this world such as yourself out there then not. I pity your neighbor because I have a feeling this is not the end of your dog barking. Shame on you :[

I have to tell you that I myself wrote an anonymous note to a neighbor once about their barking dog. It was last summer and I happened to have one day off during the week from work. It was a beautiful day out so I decided to go outside in my yard with my own two dogs and work in my garden. Well about a half our into gardening I could not take the noise anymore from the barking dogs down the street. I walked down the road to see these two lil terrier dogs just having at it for no reason whatsoever. My dogs were tagging along by my side but they were not barking because they were "trained". I saw that there was a car in the driveway so I knew someone was home. I walked back home and went inside and thought about what to do. Even in my house I could hear the dogs so on a nice day I had to shut the windows. It was ridiculous. I was a prisoner in my own house because some irresponsible person didnt give a care about the people they had to live near. How unfair. One day off and I had to be subjected to this. If I can hear the dogs they certainly could too. How would they like if I just sat in my car in the driveway and just honked my horn for hours on end? That wouldnt fly I can guaruntee you that. So I sat down to write a letter. Because you know...in this screwed up world we live in...if you personally go to a person and ask politely to quite the dogs down, they will get all spiteful and probably do some damage to your house or just let the dogs out even more. You see this is the world we live in. People are so damn inconsiderate. Instead of feeling shame, they retaliate. Go figure? So I wrote my note. And as of today....those dogs are still barking. They dont care. I know my summer is going to be a living hell. So what am I do do? Move? Because someone cant train there dog? Yes dogs do bark from time to time. For a reason. If you have an animal ...train it! Would you let your kid scream for no reason outside for 20 min at a pop? No ...cause you would train it not to. I cannot stand people that get an animal and do not teach it write from wrong. Why bother? I think what your neighbor did is completely valid. And that you should feel bad for causing this disturbance and furthermore train your animal. Unfortunately there are more inconsiderate people in this world such as yourself out there then not. I pity your neighbor because I have a feeling this is not the end of your dog barking. Shame on you :[[/quote]

Not that this is in any way comforting....but my dogs are barkers...inside, outside, etc...all the dogs in the neighborhood are too! I think they are all talking to each other. I wish I could stop my girls, however, I read about the breed before we got them and I knew they were vocal. Hey, dogs bark, birds chirp, cats meow, etc....whatever. I know the letter is upsetting and I would feel the same way as you...but I would just disregard it, and knowing me...I would encourage the barking just to piss them off more for being such cowards for not coming to you face to face. (wow, can you tell I have PMS?) HA!

xxx
check our rules. . . the part about being respectful towards others here.

Last edited by a moderator:
i realize you are new here, but that does not give you the right to call someone ignorant. I think you find that we have respect and courtesy for each other here at the forum. If you cannot deal with that, then maybe this is not the place for you to be.

Did you read the letter I was replying to? You talk about respect and courtesy? The letter I was replying to the woman spoke of letting her dogs out even more to piss off her neighbors? That is what kind of respect and courtesy this world has to offer. I did not use any offensive words to describe this person did I? I was stating a fact of pure ignorance. This is why there is so much rage in this world. Because people dont have respect. Now she is going to leave her dogs out to piss off the neighbors....what good will that do? It will escalate a very small problem into something maybe regretful.
I think that I can personally express my feelings on this forum like everyone else. Everyone else here is stating how they feel. I am not insulting anyone here. I am stating a personal opinion of an individual who is clearly acting like a child on a matter that can be resolved by sitting down like an adult and assessing a situation and make it better all around.

My daughter had friends over this summer and had her music playing loud. The neighbor across the street kindly phoned me and asked me to turn the music down. I felt terrible to have disrupted his evening. I promptly went outside and told the kids to turn the music down. Now if i would have disregarded his feelings and turned the music up louder (to piss him off) what do you think would have happened? Cops would come probably, we would be in a war with the neighbors. Would you not feel that was an ignorant approach to a situation? Reply to this scenario please I would really like to know.

Did you read the letter I was replying to? You talk about respect and courtesy? The letter I was replying to the woman spoke of letting her dogs out even more to piss off her neighbors? That is what kind of respect and courtesy this world has to offer. I did not use any offensive words to describe this person did I? I was stating a fact of pure ignorance. This is why there is so much rage in this world. Because people dont have respect. Now she is going to leave her dogs out to piss off the neighbors....what good will that do? It will escalate a very small problem into something maybe regretful.
I think that I can personally express my feelings on this forum like everyone else. Everyone else here is stating how they feel. I am not insulting anyone here. I am stating a personal opinion of an individual who is clearly acting like a child on a matter that can be resolved by sitting down like an adult and assessing a situation and make it better all around.

My daughter had friends over this summer and had her music playing loud. The neighbor across the street kindly phoned me and asked me to turn the music down. I felt terrible to have disrupted his evening. I promptly went outside and told the kids to turn the music down. Now if i would have disregarded his feelings and turned the music up louder (to piss him off) what do you think would have happened? Cops would come probably, we would be in a war with the neighbors. Would you not feel that was an ignorant approach to a situation? Reply to this scenario please I would really like to know.

what she did or did not do has nothing to do with you and certainly does not merit you calling her ignorant. you know nothing about her and it IS an insult...something we don't do at this forum...you called her an ignorant person...you insulted her as a person. i don't care what the circumstances are and even what your point it...that was uncalled for...period :nogood:

simply me, you WERE disrespectful. Calling members here ignorant or anything of the like isn't tolerated. Either respectfully state your opinion, or please don't post.
Thanks!