Workplace I got a new job...but it has BIG drawbacks

Jun 28, 2010
So after months of looking for a full time job (not just freelancing), I finally landed a role as a digital marketing manager. I feel like I'd be really successful in the role, but have a few concerns:

1) It pays $15k less than any job has paid me in almost 10 years--and it's a LOT of work. I would be leading the marketing and sales teams. It's not all about the money for me, but what bothers me is that the owner said he felt I was light on marketing exp and feels like I will earn more though meeting quarterly bonuses. I really don't know how to feel about what he said (I have a really extensive resume, and people do tend to age discriminate against me because I look very young).

2) I have to work a year to get a week off! Every job with the exception of one has given me 4-5 weeks plus sick leave for vacation because even they admitted I wasn't making enough (and I was being paid $15k more).

I know the market is bad, and I'm grateful for the opportunity. And everyone there seems very nice, and it'd be a good look for my resume. But I don't know if I should take it if I may end up quitting down the line. I plan to renegotiate but don't want to talk myself out of the opportunity. Any thoughts? I'm happy with either more vacation time or money--I don't need both to be satisfied.

Have you already started the job? Did you sign paperwork?

With regard to the salary, the market is not good right now. I'm getting paid less than I did 10 years ago as well. Just suck it up and wait until the market gets better. Did you just take what they offered? Did you negotiate?

I'm not sure if the company can legally not allow time off. Hopefully people in HR can comment. Did you not negotiate any time off?

Have you already started the job? Did you sign paperwork?

With regard to the salary, the market is not good right now. I'm getting paid less than I did 10 years ago as well. Just suck it up and wait until the market gets better. Did you just take what they offered? Did you negotiate?

I'm not sure if the company can legally not allow time off. Hopefully people in HR can comment. Did you not negotiate any time off?
Hi there! I asked for a few days to think things over, and I plan to negotiate tomorrow morning. Just as it stands, I'm not happy with the offer I received at all. I mean, it's a huge cut :/

Hi there! I asked for a few days to think things over, and I plan to negotiate tomorrow morning. Just as it stands, I'm not happy with the offer I received at all. I mean, it's a huge cut :/

I think employers expect you to negotiate. In many cases women don't negotiate, which is the main reason why they are paid less than men.

Go in there and ask for the moon! You know your worth, go get it. :smile:

I think employers expect you to negotiate. In many cases women don't negotiate, which is the main reason why they are paid less than men.

ITA - I've always thought that was one of the major reasons women are paid less on average. We always just take what's offered! As a rule, I always try negotiating at least 5% more than the offer, and I've almost always been able to get that.

The employer doesn't have to offer you any PTO, but I think it's a pretty crummy offer if they don't. Is it a smaller company? In my experience, smaller/newer companies hardly pay their people anything, but expect a LOT more work out of you than big name places.

I would be really tentative to take the offer, knowing that there's no way you can negotiate up $15k and even if you get some PTO, that's still a huge pay cut. It doesn't sound like you'd have much time to freelance either, and I don't know if that'd be allowed anyway with your contract. Have you had a hard time finding freelance work? If not, I'd do that while looking for a better full time position. That's the boat I'm in right now :/

ITA - I've always thought that was one of the major reasons women are paid less on average. We always just take what's offered! As a rule, I always try negotiating at least 5% more than the offer, and I've almost always been able to get that.

The employer doesn't have to offer you any PTO, but I think it's a pretty crummy offer if they don't. Is it a smaller company? In my experience, smaller/newer companies hardly pay their people anything, but expect a LOT more work out of you than big name places.

I would be really tentative to take the offer, knowing that there's no way you can negotiate up $15k and even if you get some PTO, that's still a huge pay cut. It doesn't sound like you'd have much time to freelance either, and I don't know if that'd be allowed anyway with your contract. Have you had a hard time finding freelance work? If not, I'd do that while looking for a better full time position. That's the boat I'm in right now :/

I could try, but I only have a few clients right now. Plus I'm really trying to save. I will try to negotiate for more and update you guys tomorrow.

every job you've had has given you 4-5 weeks of paid vacation right off the bat?? wow... i'd consider yourself lucky with that.

most places give 1-2 weeks but you have to be there at least 6 months or long to use some of it since usually vacation time is earned.

every job you've had has given you 4-5 weeks of paid vacation right off the bat?? wow... i'd consider yourself lucky with that.

most places give 1-2 weeks but you have to be there at least 6 months or long to use some of it since usually vacation time is earned.

Depends on the field you work in. For instance, 4 weeks is standard in higher education.

Update: So I took the job. They refused to negotiate so I'm definitely ramping up my freelancing and restarting my job search. I do plan to be an excellent employee and maintain my morale while there, though. I know they majorly lowballed me but I will suck it up for now.

Update: So I took the job. They refused to negotiate so I'm definitely ramping up my freelancing and restarting my job search. I do plan to be an excellent employee and maintain my morale while there, though. I know they majorly lowballed me but I will suck it up for now.
That's not the best way to start a new post. Weird how the managers wouldn't even give in a little bit ...

I understand with the job market why you'd be doing that, especially if you're trying to save. Being lowballed is better than not making any money. At least they'll know what happened when you eventually leave for a job that pays you what you're worth.