I got a job offer and still can't believe it...

sandra

Sep 20, 2006
I had posted my resume on Monster some time ago and actually had forgotten that I had. Then, out of the blue, I am contacted via email from a company looking for my qualifications. They set up a phone interview, followed with an in-person interview and gave me a verbal offer on the spot! I know I should be ecstatic, and I am, but I just can't help feeling they are going to change their minds after looking at my resume more closely and find that maybe I'm not the person they want for the job.

I used to have a fantastic resume - great education, excellent employers and a desire to climb the corporate ladder all the way to the top and then I found that special someone, got married, quit my job and moved to the U.S. Timing was not good on our part (9-11) and the application process for getting my landed immigrant status moved at a snails pace resulting in my having a 3 year gap in employment which I followed up with a part-time retail job for a lot longer than I had anticipated (we were not happy in the city we were living and were ready to move as soon as my husband got a better opportunity). Now, with the huge gap and under-employed work history as my most recent experience, I just can't imagine anyone would want me. My husband thinks I'm crazy and can't stand that I sometimes think so little of myself and to just get on with it....it just seems like this position fell into my lap too easily and that I'm not worthy given all the other people out there looking for work for months on end, how getting a job with gaps in a resume is tantamount to winning the lottery (according to one site I visited) and the fact that I had had very little interest in my resume before now.

Sorry for the long post - I just needed to let that out somewhere as my hubby doesn't want to hear anymore of my babbling :rolleyes: Don't get me wrong, I am thrilled to have this job and am eager to prove my worth - it just seems to good to be true.

Thanks for reading. :smile:

i'm sure that they can understand the complexity of your situation and they don't see to be holding it against you, so don't question it (as long as the place is legit of course), and be happy that someone noticed your obvious qualifications despite the legal red tape you had to deal with!

Way to go! Don't doubt yourself!!! They wouldn't have offered you the job if they didn't think you'd be a great fit.

I got my job from Monster.com too! :smile: I've been with this same company now for almost 7 years (my longest employer history ever) and I love it! I don't plan to ever leave.

Ahh sandra don't doubt yourself! If they had contacted you after looking over your resume, asked you to come back for an in-person interview even after a phone interview, and then immediately offered you a position, then of course they feel that they've found the right person for the job!

I'm sure that they understand the situation, and must have felt that you, at the very least, met the standard (even with the 3-year hiatus), and so had no qualms in offering you the position.

Besides, they picked YOUR resume out of the thousands of resumes (I don't actually know how many are on monster.com), so you must have what they're looking for!

Congratulations, Sandra! Go and celebrate with the hubby :yahoo:

People get jobs cause they are "liked." Congrats!
They liked you, they really liked you!

So true.

Congratulations on your job. Don't worry about the hiatus part, they have probably already looked at that before contacting you in the first place. They offered you the job and you are going to do great, that's all that matters!