I fought the fake sellers, and I won!

Feb 26, 2006
Late last week, I headed over to a shopping mall about 20 miles from my home to do some holiday shopping. I stopped into the coffee shop to grab a drink when I noticed kiosk selling handbags. I saw a bunch of designer-inspired bags at first, but when I got closer, they had some blatant fakes tucked in among the designer-inspired bags. There was a fake LV Globe Shopper and Alma, several fake Coaches, and a couple of fake Chanels. I was horrified! When I got home, I immedately sprung into action. I went to the mall's website and found the contact information for the mall management. I wrote them a lengthy letter informing them that a seller on their property was selling items that violated federal copyright and anti-counterfeiting laws. I further told them that not only could the seller be fined/jailed, but the mall could be held legally culpable for allowing this activity to take place on their property. I also informed them that counterfeit merchandise is often assembled using child/sweatshop labor and that profits from counterfeit sales often fund organized crime or terrorist activity. I then told them that not only had I contacted them, but I also contacted the International Anti-Counterfeiting Coalition and the copyright owners (which I did).

Today, I went back to the mall. The kiosk is still there, but all the fakes are gone! They still have designer-inspired bags, which are fine, but all of the blatant counterfeits that I mentioned in my letter to mall management were nowhere to be seen. Score one for the good guys! One person can make a difference! :tup:

Yay for you, ArmCandy - there is a kiosk like that here at Rosedale Mall as well - I never thought to 'turn them in', but I may do so now. As you said, there were lots of 'designer-inspired' bags, but tucked in among the crap were a few 'Prada' bags - I looked at one and loudly told my husband "look at the tag, they can't even sew it on right - it's so crooked that alone would give this away"; DH said the employee had just come up behind me and heard everything as I walked away.

Disgusting. <---looking up Rosedale Mall contact info

Excellent! You know how sometimes you think you can't make a difference?
You just proved this to be untrue. We all can.
One voice can be louder than a crowd.
:tup:

Very cool, ArmCandy! Good for you! But you know those fake bags will probably be reappearing in that kiosk so best to keep a watch out. Did you hear from the ripped-off manufacturers by any chance? I hope those manufacturers contact the mall and express their own displeasure.

Again...congrats!