I finally found the perfect Appia nappa bag for me (reveal tonight + questions)

Jun 4, 2006
Hi all,

So a few weeks ago I started a thread asking for opinions on which style I should get in Appia as I just love that color. After I tried on a large veneta and a north south tote bag and not really feeling the love, I finally found the style I love and would go perfectly with my wardrobe -- the brick bag! Yes, the price is steeper than the other two styles, but I love the brick bag so much that I had to get it.

I am not home yet so I will post pics tonight. But I do have a couple of questions:

1) While I did own a few BV nappa bags in the past, most of them are of darker colors so maybe it wasn't as easy to notice some "imperfection" on the nappa leather (although appia is not that light either)...but by now I have seen quite a few appia nappa bags, and I noticed that on each bag (whether is the veneta or the tote or the brick bag), there are some imperfection on the nappa leather, like a dent here and there, very tiny ones that you really need to get up close to see them, and maybe just a couples of them on the entire bag....maybe they are scars or hair follicles since leather is indeed a natural product. And since I am super picky (I don't want a display bag or a bag that has leather variation that is too obvious). Anyhow, the small brick bag in this particular color is even harder to find multiples for me to compare since it seems to me that only the boutiques carry them, not NM or Barneys...so I visited two different boutiques in my area and find one out of the four that I have seen in person that seems to be in the best condition. But when i got home last night I saw a little dent on the handle (will show you pictures tonight). I want to know if you nappa bags also have similar dents/marks here and there, again, they are very tiny, and not that many, just 2 or 3 places on the leather....

2) I don't recall I treat/spray my old nappa bags with water repellent spray but I guess coz the bags I had were of darker colors (think baltic), but with appia, I am not sure if I should treat it before using it. Should I spray it? I have Vectra, Apple Guard, and collonil water repellent/UV protection spray at home.

Thanks so much! I will definitely post pictures tonight!

Here's my bag! Sorry for the bad lighting since it's night time here.

On the two close up pics of the handle, can you see that one dot on the handle? That's the little dent I was talking about, which seems to be just how the leather is naturally (it doesn't look like a scratch to me). Plz tell me that I'm crazy and should not be bothered by it! :P

Attachments

• image-1263446005.jpg
    image-1263446005.jpg
    567.6 KB · Views: 676
  • image-3794772348.jpg
    image-3794772348.jpg
    631.5 KB · Views: 662
  • image-1653241617.jpg
    image-1653241617.jpg
    688.2 KB · Views: 750
  • image-2532066570.jpg
    image-2532066570.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 639
All I see is a gorgeous Brick bag :smile:

Honestly, if it were mine, I probably wouldn't have noticed the tiny mark you circled on your photo. Even if I did notice it, it wouldn't bother me because it doesn't look like damage, and I'm sure no one would be looking at it that closely (as one does when presented with an enlarged photo on a computer screen). I hope you can enjoy it the way it is. It looks great on you!

As for whether this has occurred on any of my nappa BVs have similar marks, I'm sure they do now, because I've been using them! I haven't expected them to remain pristine, even if they were "mark free" at the beginning. I don't remember if they had any when they were straight from the boutique, but then again, maybe they wouldn't have been noticeable on the nappa colors that I have (nero, ebano, orchid).

As for whether to spray, I'd consult your BV SA. I've worked with several SAs over the years, and all have said that treating the leather is totally unnecessary. But then again, one of the SAs (who no longer works for BV) did say that her boutique did spray some items for their clients anyway. Maybe those were for lighter-colored items, I'm not sure.

All I see is a gorgeous Brick bag :smile:

Honestly, if it were mine, I probably wouldn't have noticed the tiny mark you circled on your photo. Even if I did notice it, it wouldn't bother me because it doesn't look like damage, and I'm sure no one would be looking at it that closely (as one does when presented with an enlarged photo on a computer screen). I hope you can enjoy it the way it is. It looks great on you!

As for whether this has occurred on any of my nappa BVs have similar marks, I'm sure they do now, because I've been using them! I haven't expected them to remain pristine, even if they were "mark free" at the beginning. I don't remember if they had any when they were straight from the boutique, but then again, maybe they wouldn't have been noticeable on the nappa colors that I have (nero, ebano, orchid).

As for whether to spray, I'd consult your BV SA. I've worked with several SAs over the years, and all have said that treating the leather is totally unnecessary. But then again, one of the SAs (who no longer works for BV) did say that her boutique did spray some items for their clients anyway. Maybe those were for lighter-colored items, I'm not sure.

Thx blueiris! I really love the brick bag!! It has been a while since a new BV style gets me excited!

I was an SA with BV
the only colors we ever really sprayed were light colors
we only sprayed when requested
that little dot spot looks to me like the dye just grabbed a tad more in that spot
I myself would not worry about it and would just enjoy the bag
it is beautiful
use it in good health

Last edited:
I was an SA with BV
the only colors we ever really sprayed were light colors
we only sprayed when requested
that little dot spot looks to me like the dye just grabbed a tad more in that spot
I myself would not worry about it and would just enjoy the bag
it is beautiful
use it in good health

Thx, so is BV leather treated already? I'm not concerned about water stain as I live in So Cal we don't have much rain. I'm more concerned with color transfer from denim/dark color clothing, and hand oil on the handles. So should I worry about that?

BV bags are not treated
it has been my experience that only the very lightest colors get color transfer
denim is a big culprit for color transfer
denim will transfer color to your bag

Thx, so is BV leather treated already? I'm not concerned about water stain as I live in So Cal we don't have much rain. I'm more concerned with color transfer from denim/dark color clothing, and hand oil on the handles. So should I worry about that?

I'm just struck by how you focus on the negative aspects -- the dent", the variation, to spray. It makes me sad. We are all imperfect and the things around us are imperfect. To expect perfection means a lifetime of disappointment.

But there is so much to be joyful about. It's a lovely bag, you're in a financially able position to afford it. Try to focus on the positive, not just with this bag but with all things.

I'm just struck by how you focus on the negative aspects -- the dent", the variation, to spray. It makes me sad. We are all imperfect and the things around us are imperfect. To expect perfection means a lifetime of disappointment.

But there is so much to be joyful about. It's a lovely bag, you're in a financially able position to afford it. Try to focus on the positive, not just with this bag but with all things.

LOL! Actually, I am only like that when it comes to expensive bags, trust me, I have made some VERY BAD choices in the past on handbag purchases and lost lots of money due to my bad choices (and sometime, bad luck, ie. buy a $3000 bag, don't love it after 2 weeks, sell on ebay then got scammed and of course losing the dispute with evil PP).

Ever since my hubby died unexpectedly 4 yrs ago, I learnt the hard way that this world is indeed imperfect and many things are out of our control...maybe this handbag addiction is my subconscious way to find some perfect things in my imperfect life situation.

Last edited: