I feel self-conscious about this...

Mar 27, 2009
I have had a hard time trying to decide between 3 different pieces that I wanted to get from Tiffany's. When I heard about the price increase, I wanted to pick up one of the pieces, so I initially picked up a mini gold Elsa Peretti open heart charm.
It was over my little budget, so I exchanged it for the Paloma Picasso dove disc charm.
But now... I want to go back in and take a look at the tiny 9mm bean necklace.
I know for sure I don't want the gold heart.
I just want to take a look and make sure which one I like better. I feel bad that I have come in already to exchange what I bought once. If I end up exchanging it again, (and I would make sure that this is my final exchange), would this be rude on my part?
I can only choose one, because this is an unexpected purchase; I had planned on buying one of these pieces later on this year, but I am speeding it up to save some $$$.
Do you think this makes me look disrespectful? I know I will look like I am an indecisive silly, but I guess I just wanted some reassurance that I am not pissing off the SA's.

Can you go to a different Tiffany's to exchange? sorry I don't know what their policy is. I am indecisive like this too, and I do feel bad about it. But at the end of the day it's your preciously earned $$ and you should get something you really like. I just think, embarrasement will only last 10 min or so, but I will have the necklace for a looooong time.

Don't be embarrassed. It's a lot of money and you're probably not the first person to do this. They're not perfect either! They once sent me a necklace with a defect and were very apologetic when I had to order an exchange.

Dont let the price increase rush your decision.
If you really really know the bean is what you want - end of story, then exchange it.

If you think you might have doubts again once you've had the exhange, then dont let the price increase rush you into making a decision you'll regret. Better get the one you really really want after the price increase than one you wish you'd never bought....

Relax and just do it. They are performing their job, so that's that, and it makes no sense to settle for something you don't want, especially something expensive.

maybe the experience I made makes you feel better: one year ago I ordered a custom made solitair ring (diamond/whitegold). when the ring was ready to be mine, I did not like it. custom made! The jeweler took it back and I could order something else for the value of the ring. The other jewels (pink saphiere ear studs) cost a bit less, so he handed me the difference in cash.

If a small jeweler in the outskirts in Vienna can do so, Tiffany can for sure!!! :okay:
I think I know exactly how you feel - I was feeling really bad before I returned the ring.

In the end everything will turn out fine, as long as you don't keep jewelry you don't love.

:hugs:

I understand how you feel, but agree with others who've said you deserve to get what makes you happiest and that this is your hard-earned money being spent. I don't think it makes you look at all. I'm sure this type of situation happens more than you think! The SA should be happy to help you, as you're doing a return/exchange rather than a full-out refund...she or he will still get their cut.

Totally agree with the girls above... I know I'd probably feel sheepish too but there's nothing wrong with changing your mind as long as it's new, no one is losing out! Especially on an exchange. The worst anyone can think is that you're indecisive and that's not such a bad thing! Plus Tiffany's is a MASSIVE company - they must get returns ALL the time. Don't stress about it! It'd be so much worse if you kept something you didn't love b/c you were afraid to exchange it!

Its a big corporation. They are about to raise their prices.

If you have the same 30 day return policy that we have here:

Buy all the pieces you want before the increase. Look at them at your leisure. Then after a few days, return what you don't want.

I wouldn't feel embarrassed, they have a return policy, it is part of their everyday business, and you should get what you want.
That is true. I have to remember this!

Don't be embarrassed. It's a lot of money and you're probably not the first person to do this. They're not perfect either! They once sent me a necklace with a defect and were very apologetic when I had to order an exchange.
With a defect? That stinks! What was wrong with your jewelry?

Dont let the price increase rush your decision.
If you really really know the bean is what you want - end of story, then exchange it.

If you think you might have doubts again once you've had the exhange, then dont let the price increase rush you into making a decision you'll regret. Better get the one you really really want after the price increase than one you wish you'd never bought....
Thank you. I totally agree with this!

Well, since it's an exchange, not a return, the SA isn't out any money, so I wouldn't worry too much. What can they do anyway? Throw you a little side eye?
Ha! Well, it is a little less expensive than the dove disc, but not by much!

Relax and just do it. They are performing their job, so that's that, and it makes no sense to settle for something you don't want, especially something expensive.
True. I have to remember that this is their job!

maybe the experience I made makes you feel better: one year ago I ordered a custom made solitair ring (diamond/whitegold). when the ring was ready to be mine, I did not like it. custom made! The jeweler took it back and I could order something else for the value of the ring. The other jewels (pink saphiere ear studs) cost a bit less, so he handed me the difference in cash.

If a small jeweler in the outskirts in Vienna can do so, Tiffany can for sure!!! :okay:
I think I know exactly how you feel - I was feeling really bad before I returned the ring.

In the end everything will turn out fine, as long as you don't keep jewelry you don't love.

:hugs:
Wow thank you for sharing this with me! This does make me feel better, thank you!

I understand how you feel, but agree with others who've said you deserve to get what makes you happiest and that this is your hard-earned money being spent. I don't think it makes you look at all. I'm sure this type of situation happens more than you think! The SA should be happy to help you, as you're doing a return/exchange rather than a full-out refund...she or he will still get their cut.
Thank you for this!

You should exchange it if you don't like it! Don't worry about going there again
I know, I shouldn't worry, I just get a little self-conscious, you know?

Totally agree with the girls above... I know I'd probably feel sheepish too but there's nothing wrong with changing your mind as long as it's new, no one is losing out! Especially on an exchange. The worst anyone can think is that you're indecisive and that's not such a bad thing! Plus Tiffany's is a MASSIVE company - they must get returns ALL the time. Don't stress about it! It'd be so much worse if you kept something you didn't love b/c you were afraid to exchange it!

That is true, they do get returns all the time! I gotta remember that!
Its a big corporation. They are about to raise their prices.

If you have the same 30 day return policy that we have here:

Buy all the pieces you want before the increase. Look at them at your leisure. Then after a few days, return what you don't want.
That is the way I work. I need to take something home and look at it for a bit to know for sure whether or not I want it. :smile: