I don't want to tan!! HELP!

lubz

O.G.
Jun 13, 2007
Hi ladies n gents,
I have a big dilemma in my life, which is, how fast I tan!! I am already tanned as it is. Every time I step out in the sun for 15 minutes it looks like I went to the beach and got darker!!! It's kind of annoying because I like my skin color minus the extra tan. I already have naturally tan colored skin. I just bought a spray on SPF 80 sunblock. Just wondering if that will stop the unnecessary darkening of skin? Also, when do I apply it? Right before I go out? How much is enough?
I'm not sure if this is the right section to post this so please feel free to redirect me if not.

I believe that you are supposed to wear sunscreen 30min before you go out into the sun. Reapply every 2 hours and especially if you are going to get wet...at a pool or on the beach. Last summer on vacation my family and I wore spf 90 AND STILL got tan! Good luck though!! The only thing I can think of is try to stay out of the sun as much as you can...

I'm very pale and prefer it that way! Good that you got the spray.

I typically spray myself once I'm out of the shower and dry/hair is dry and I'm about to get ready to leave the house. Then I spray myself from head to toe (don't forget feet, especially if you wear sandals), do make-up, get dressed, and head out. If I know i'll be out ALL day I'll bring some with me to reapply after like five hours. I also try to stick to the shade, I'll wear big hats at the beach or pool, and loose but covering clothing (i.e. instead of shorts, some loose linen pants, etc) if I know I'm going to be massively exposed to the sun.

Lots of people still get tan with sunscreen. The sunscreen should help protect against burning and skin damage. I agree with staying out of the sun a much as possible if you don't want to be any darker.

I believe that you are supposed to wear sunscreen 30min before you go out into the sun. Reapply every 2 hours and especially if you are going to get wet...at a pool or on the beach. Last summer on vacation my family and I wore spf 90 AND STILL got tan! Good luck though!! The only thing I can think of is try to stay out of the sun as much as you can...

ProfNot, posts like this get folks banned. You need to NOT mention your business at all on tPF, this INCLUDES PM. It's not worth getting banned over.

Last edited by a moderator:
use a sunscreen with a "PA+++" rating. Most Japanese brands have this rating as well as SPF. The SPF prevents you from burning not from tanning, the PA+++ prevents you from getting dark.

Girls from Asian countries don't like to have dark tanned skin particularly our face, so I think that's why the Japanese brands are quicker to have something like this available. I am currently using Fancl Sunguard spf30 PA+++. I heard Sofina is a good brand too.

Hi ladies n gents,
I have a big dilemma in my life, which is, how fast I tan!! I am already tanned as it is. Every time I step out in the sun for 15 minutes it looks like I went to the beach and got darker!!! It's kind of annoying because I like my skin color minus the extra tan. I already have naturally tan colored skin. I just bought a spray on SPF 80 sunblock. Just wondering if that will stop the unnecessary darkening of skin? Also, when do I apply it? Right before I go out? How much is enough?
I'm not sure if this is the right section to post this so please feel free to redirect me if not.

First of all apply the SPF 30 min before you go out and use plenty of it (thin film on every inch of your skin). Re apply every 1-2 hours on the skin exposed (read the label on the product, some need less often) Then you should try to cover up, and use a hat (I have a cute straw one that folds). I live in a place where it is sunshine 300 days out of the year, and I can avoid a tan with just spf 50, but I avoid to stay under the sun entirely. I always carry a cardi, to cover my arms and shoulders.

Are you out all day? I used to run in the morning, but after my freckels boomed, I changed that to late evening.
I always sit inside a restaurant, not outside even when it is hot, and I choose to walk under the shadow. These are little things you can do to avoid sun damage.

Wow that's alot of info I didn't know! Thanks guys..! I will try all those tips and check my sunblock to see if it's photostable too. I will also look into getting a PA+++ one. I wish I came here before spending a fortune on the one I just bought. I tried it yesterday but it was greasy and yucky :tdown:

i also tan easily, yet prefer my untanned skin tone. i try to apply sunblock 45 minutes before heading out into the sun; remember that most people don't use enough! it's supposed to be approximately enough to fill one shot glass per application!~ as others have mentioned, don't forget to apply everywhere, like feet, ears, back of neck, etc.

even with sunblock, i still try to stay out of the sun when possible; i sit under an umbrella at the beach, own *many* large hats, and i always bring a light long-sleeved tunic or top; wearing loose-fitting garments that cover the body and protect it from the sun can actually be cooler than having the skin exposed

oh, and always have a long-sleeved shirt for driving, and possibly some driving gloves - i remember one summer i was commuting about an hour each way, and by the end of the summer i had one arm darker than the other . . . whoops!(^(oo)^)v

Sunblock works better than sunscreen...use a high spf and it should help minimize the tanning. Wear dark colors so less UV rays pass thru your clothes, as well as long sleeve shorts and pants.

diorsnow white reveal sunscreen is best ! i have mentioned on this forum before and chanel uv spf 50 is what i wear everyday! i use neutrogena spf 100 for my body. sheisdo spf 55 the thinner formula is really good also and better suited if want to use on face as opposed to the orignal sheisdo spf55. u can do umbrella but in the states can get "crazy" looks so get nice hat like a bucket hat. Yes like the other poster said look at PA+++ sunscreen. use good face wash also and keep skin hydrated as to keep a glowing complexion