I don't mean to be the devil's advocate but...

baybay0359

O.G.
Mar 26, 2010
Does anyone think that the Chanel classic flaps will change once Karl Lagerfeld isn't at the helm of Chanel? I want a classic flap so badly, largely because I am hopeful it will never go out of style. But, there is this small worry at the back of my mind that whoever takes over will want to put their own spin on things.

Correction: There is no rumour that he is leaving so don't get the wrong impression. I am simply inquiring about what will happen when, eventually, someone else takes over. Hopefully that makes sense.

Thoughts?

Well the classic is truly a best seller and that is why they don't display it for the public to view and make it look so exclusive. So although we cannot predict the future, it will be dumb for the future person to change it entirely. Although it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a few that is tweeked in addition to the old classics. I wouldn't worry too much ans if u are worried, run to saks to buy one! They offer free financing for 12 months on purchases over $2000 but u have to open that major purchase acct in person. If u need a SA to save on tax, let me know!

Even if Lagerfeld leaves, they won't change the classic flaps or reissues. I do think Boy bags may not have a future once another designer takes over but not the classics. Hermes has changed many designers in the past, but you don't see their best seller birkin or kelly go away.

Even if Lagerfeld leaves, they won't change the classic flaps or reissues. I do think Boy bags may not have a future once another designer takes over but not the classics. Hermes has changed many designers in the past, but you don't see their best seller birkin or kelly go away.

That is a relief!

i think the classic flap could possibly change under someone else. not wildly, but very slight improvements. there is room for improvement. perhaps a longer chain, for crossbody options, or a chain that can be removed. Chanel developed the interlocking CC's herself, but it was KL who developed the CC turnlock and stuck it on flaps, so he pretty much made that bag iconic. Chanel's bag was the reissue, which they completely didn't touch. if anything it is the reissue that would remain forever the same. someone else wouldn't be expected to maintain KL's design parameters forever. no company can survive w/out some degree of change, even to their top-line item. but classic flaps as we know them will always be on the open market so you could always grab one pre-loved anyway in the look and color you prefer.

i think the classic flap could possibly change under someone else. not wildly, but very slight improvements. there is room for improvement. perhaps a longer chain, for crossbody options, or a chain that can be removed. Chanel developed the interlocking CC's herself, but it was KL who developed the CC turnlock and stuck it on flaps, so he pretty much made that bag iconic. Chanel's bag was the reissue, which they completely didn't touch. if anything it is the reissue that would remain forever the same. someone else wouldn't be expected to maintain KL's design parameters forever. no company can survive w/out some degree of change, even to their top-line item. but classic flaps as we know them will always be on the open market so you could always grab one pre-loved anyway in the look and color you prefer.

I agree. I want a size between the medium and the jumbo! Medium is too small for me...jumbo a bit heavy.

I agree with other posters that it is possible for new designer to put their little tweeks to the classic flap the way Legarfild put his. However, I think that classic will remain a classic. I mean the vintage classic flaps that were made pre Legarfeld change are still classics and a lot of people prefer them. To me personally, a pre Legatfeld change classic flaps or single flaps are in no way dated. I think it is a matter of personal preference and lifestyle fit, but regardless of tweeks classics will remain timeless.

I agree. I want a size between the medium and the jumbo! Medium is too small for me...jumbo a bit heavy.

Wouldn't it be nice if there are more sizes available for the classics and reissues? I remember seeing pictures of the various sizes they come in. I think the reissues used to come in 5 different sizes and the classic had more than 3.

If there are to be tweeks, I wish the make the back pocket a little bigger/deeper (to fit the new phones) or have removable straps for the WOC. :biggrin:

Well they even changed during Karl, look at the jumbo from 12 years ago, so different! I think a new designer will definitely want to make the bags more 'them' and perhaps add a new model. But I don't think Karl's going anywhere soon!