I don't have 'the privilege yet to sell branded items' but I have sold LV before

revitalise

O.G.
Jan 11, 2009
My first post on eBay forum! I didn't realise TPF had this forum

I need to rant about how annoyed I am with eBay this week. I've never had any serious issues with eBay before.

Until 2 days ago, my LV alma bb listing got removed. I've been back and forth with eBay customer service via email today

• I receive email title 'Trademark Violation -Unauthorized item' and my listing for an LV Alma BB was removed
  • I call up eBay to ask for their help. They said the policy team can only be contacted via email. So with the person on the phone's help I manage to find the button to email the team (it was not easy)
  • I email the policy team same day
  • 2 days later, I receive an email reply stating I don't 'have the privilege yet to sell branded items' and recommended me to 'list items that are not branded'
  • I reply and tell them politely, I have sold 2 Louis Vuitton bags last year (Eva and Totally GM) and received positive feedback for both items. Can I get an appeal?
  • eBay replies it is due to other factors and it is because I 'failed to maintain such a reputation, you do not have consistency with your sales, then eBay has to prevent you listing more branded items' and 'you have sold more than 3 branded items ...for the last 6 months without any bad feedback...'
  • I reply and ask how do I sell more than 3 branded items if you ban me from selling branded items. I feel they are penalising me as a small seller (sell 1-2 branded items over 6 months). I also emphasise I have 100% positive feedback, sold a >$1000 bag with positive feedback and been selling for years
  • eBay replies 'this is not a penalisation to the seller since you are not restricted to list items'. I'm just not allowed to list 'excessive' numbers of branded items
For context
  • eBay member since 2008
  • 93 feedback
  • 100% feedback. No negative feedback
  • Sold 5 items in past 6 months
  • Sold 2 LV bags in 2016. Have never sold anything higher value than this ever
I'm beyond my wits. Has anyone come across a similar situation...any comments will be appreciated

Usually they won't restrict you at all unless you have a listing that is removed. Once you have a listing removed, you have to earn their trust, which could take years.

At the top of your ebay sales page is there something called "Monthly Selling Limits"? http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/sellinglimits.html
Hi thank you for your reply. I will take a look

I've logged into my mobile eBay but can't see anything but will check on desktop too

The good news is they haven't removed my lower value (<$500) listings. Just the 1 listing

I'm just frustrated they are not willing to reconsider. I feel the customer rep just keeps justifying the decision no matter what I say. I don't know if I'm bothered to keep trying. I may wait for any other replies and do some more research over weekend

I checked my seller limit and I have not reached my limit

Selling limit is $5,000 or 1000 items. I'm nowhere near this limit

I haven't replied to eBay yet. I just don't understand why they took my alma bb listing down.

The only thing I can think of is maybe someone reported the item or eBay implemented a new policy in the last week or so.

I checked my seller limit and I have not reached my limit

Selling limit is $5,000 or 1000 items. I'm nowhere near this limit

I haven't replied to eBay yet. I just don't understand why they took my alma bb listing down.

The only thing I can think of is maybe someone reported the item or eBay implemented a new policy in the last week or so.

They take listings down of authentic items all the time.

Reactions: revitalise
They take listings down of authentic items all the time.
I wouldn't say it's "all the time" that authentic items are removed but it does happen occasionally.

And when it does happen, there are ways to respond, appeal the takedown and if item is proved authentic, authorization is given for reinstatement of the listing.

If it's an ebay takedown (often done when there are many reports submitted for the same listing), the seller appeals to ebay, often submitting a professional authentication.

If it's a VeRO takedown, there's VeRO contact information in the ebay email message and the seller has to contact the rights owner. The rights owner may request additional pictures or sourcing information to verify authenticity. In a case of VeRO reporting and removing a listing, a professional authentication isn't going to help because only VeRO can give ebay (and the seller) permission to reinstate the listing.

I wouldn't say it's "all the time" that authentic items are removed but it does happen occasionally.

And when it does happen, there are ways to respond, appeal the takedown and if item is proved authentic, authorization is given for reinstatement of the listing.

If it's an ebay takedown (often done when there are many reports submitted for the same listing), the seller appeals to ebay, often submitting a professional authentication.

If it's a VeRO takedown, there's VeRO contact information in the ebay email message and the seller has to contact the rights owner. The rights owner may request additional pictures or sourcing information to verify authenticity. In a case of VeRO reporting and removing a listing, a professional authentication isn't going to help because only VeRO can give ebay (and the seller) permission to reinstate the listing.
I wasn't aware LV had a VERO presence on ebay; they certainly never used to have.

The OP seems to have conflicting information - the email she received seems to provide a different reason to that given to her when she raised a query.

The professional authentication doesn't always work either. I had to do that once. Paid for it and submitted it with the receipt and ebay still said "do not relist." Think it depends who you are and which ebay rep you get at the time!

LV is certainly removed all the time (items regularly disappear from my watch list). This is UK sellers though so not as many items listed as in the US.

I am a very occasional EBay seller...maybe 3 or 4 bags per year. I have successfully sold 22 luxury purses on EBay mostly Louis Vuitton, Chanel, but also a few Dooney and Coach bags. However I am still restricted to two branded bags per month because I don't yet have a seller feedback score of 25 or more. ( I think I have seller feed back of 20...two buyers left no feedback because some people simply will not leave feedback. However I have a 100 percent seller feedback score )

EBay told me that once my seller feedback score is 25 or higher I can sell as many branded items as I want.

I've called on occasion trying to get them to make an exception because even a non payer will prevent EBay from allowing you to relist a luxury bag as it still counts toward one of your two allowed branded items even though the sale was unsuccessful (crazy) I think they made an exception once but typically they will not budge.

They have never removed my items but If I attempt to sell a 3rd branded item before 30 days has passed, I get an error message saying I've reach my limit with this type of item. so I've been frustrated by this as well. Your issue doesn't seem exactly the same but it seems similar.

Last edited:
I wasn't aware LV had a VERO presence on ebay; they certainly never used to have.

The OP seems to have conflicting information - the email she received seems to provide a different reason to that given to her when she raised a query.

The professional authentication doesn't always work either. I had to do that once. Paid for it and submitted it with the receipt and ebay still said "do not relist." Think it depends who you are and which ebay rep you get at the time!

LV is certainly removed all the time (items regularly disappear from my watch list). This is UK sellers though so not as many items listed as in the US.
Yeah I agree that the reason that I was given is so different from the first email I got

I'm going to email them again and ask how to appeal the decision

At least I can know for sure what was the reason my listing was taken down

Thank you for reading and replying to my post

Last edited:
I have successfully sold 22 luxury purses on EBay mostly Louis Vuitton, Chanel, but also a few Dooney and Coach bags. However I am restricted to two branded bags per month because I don't yet have a seller feedback score of 25 or more. ( I think I have seller feed back 20...two buyers left no feedback 100 percent feedback score )

EBay told me that once my seller feedback score is 25 or higher I can sell as many branded items as I want.

I've called on occasion trying to get them to make an exception because even a non payer will prevent EBay from allowing you to relist a luxury bag as it still counts toward one of your two allowed items even though the sale was unsuccessful (crazy) I think they made an exception once but typically they will not budge.
Thank you for reading my post and replying

Yeah I have 90+ positive feedback and my selling limit is $5k a month

I've only sold 2 LV bags in the last 6 months

I have a few branded bags listed right now. But none have gone through to a sale

So even if same rules were applied to my situation. It still doesn't make sense (ie 2 LV bags sold in 6 months is hardly passing any limits I would guess)

I'm in Australia. Im sure the same applies here though

Thank you for reading my post and replying everyone! It's given me some background information which has been helpful

I'm going to email eBay for an appeal and we'll see how it goes