I don't get it.......

Shallow obsessing strongly encouraged.

do9zdx.gif

^That ad bothers me so much. "People have a lot of misconceptions...but none of them are really true...". UH...WHAT??? Did they purposely do that to her?

to say that I and everyone else in "the west" {by blanketing us as "the west"} is reduced to that is offensive.
I don't want to even remotely grouped w/ her :nono:

ITA...it's pretty offensive and completely disregards anything positive about "the west" (which, given the context here I take to mean the US). I mean, I know Steve Jobs is dead now, but heck, reduce us to free thinking and a mac book next time. While Michael Phelps may like a little " recreational relaxation" I'll be supporting his London efforts as will the rest of the country I suspect....reduce us to a six-pack and a speedo.

While I don't really understand the need for starting this finger-wagging thread, I get the sentiment behind respecting those who have gone before. But I do have to support those who keep the Kim thread going, that is hand's-down the most hilarious thread on TPF, and they don't take themselves (or Kim) seriously, anyone who thinks otherwise clearly hasn't read it.

And yes, I like abstract art. Give me a canvas with a black dot over a pastoral farm scene or a bowl-of-fruit still life any day.

Art is essentially a form of communication. An artist knows what impression he/she wishes to have on an audience when producing the work. A Slayer song is not meant to be warm and tender, and a Monet painting is not intended to be a mirror-like reflection of reality.

Offensive to whom? And for what reason?:confused1:

I'm a westerner who comes from a long line of westerners, btw.

An artist cannot dictate the interpretation of their work by the viewer or listener, which is why not everyone likes classical music, punk music, pop music, and others do. It's all about how your own personal experience affects your tastes.

As for the comment about westerners, I too find that offensive. I come from Australia, a "western" country. But we're multi-cultural to the nth degree with influences from all over the world, so to try and pigeon hole countries as well as individuals is just ???

To keep with the art theme I'll say this, generalisation is my pet hate and you're trying your darndest to paint everyone with the same brush, in the same colour. For what end? And all this started because someone has a problem with the Kardashians and lack of the required reverance for actors/writers who were at the peak before many posters here were even born?????? OK.

And yes, I like abstract art. Give me a canvas with a black dot over a pastoral farm scene or a bowl-of-fruit still life any day.

That's OK. If pretentiousness were altogether undesirable, it wouldn't have a place in the human make-up.:P

An artist cannot dictate the interpretation of their work by the viewer or listener, which is why not everyone likes classical music, punk music, pop music, and others do. It's all about how your own personal experience affects your tastes.

An artist seeks to transmit an idea, sentiment, mood, theory, etc. through his/her work. A talented artist needn't dicate anything. His work should do it for him.

As for the comment about westerners, I too find that offensive. I come from Australia, a "western" country. But we're multi-cultural to the nth degree with influences from all over the world, so to try and pigeon hole countries as well as individuals is just ???

Oh, I see. So beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but offensiveness isn't in the interpretation of the interpreter? By your reasoning, you are simply interpreting my comment as offensive, rather than the comment being offensive in itself.:smile:

To keep with the art theme I'll say this, generalisation is my pet hate and you're trying your darndest to paint everyone with the same brush, in the same colour. For what end? And all this started because someone has a problem with the Kardashians and lack of the required reverance for actors/writers who were at the peak before many posters here were even born?????? OK.

If I say 'OK' will you make it stop?

to say that I and everyone else in "the west" {by blanketing us as "the west"} is reduced to that is offensive.
I don't want to even remotely grouped w/ her :nono:

This is an understandable objection.;)

SkylightTonight said:
That's OK. If pretentiousness were altogether undesirable, it wouldn't have a place in the human make-up.

Hmm... :thinking:
pretentious (adj)
attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed.

When scientists find why we like art and what constitutes good art, we'll be able to say "this artist is better than that artist". I look forward to this day, because then we can go up to people who pretend a canvass with one black dot in the corner is a masterpiece and say "Look at this research, buddy. This is officially bad art".:biggrin:

Oh. Now it makes sense.

I'm not sure if you are calling me pretentious for liking abstract art, or if you think the art itself is pretentious, but either way your seeming dislike for those whose views differ from your own is pretention in it's purest form.

As a scientist I can say with a degree of certainty that we will never determine what constitutes "good" art. Science works in absolutes and traditionally dichotomous pairings....not subjectivity and free-form expression. Just because you don't understand an art form doesn't mean it has no value or place in society.

New question to ponder....why did Jennifer Lopez feel the need to make a statement on Tom and Katie's divorce? I thought it was not her place and IMO she was seeking some press. Girlfriend has just been messy with her own divorce and her little boy toy.

Bzemom said:
New question to ponder....why did Jennifer Lopez feel the need to make a statement on Tom and Katie's divorce? I thought it was not her place and IMO she was seeking some press. Girlfriend has just been messy with her own divorce and her little boy toy.

Maybe she wants us all to remember and be mourning her exit on AI :rolleyes: