I Don't Get Dog People

Echoes

O.G.
Aug 8, 2008
OK, some dog people.

Why do you have a dog? Because it's the thing to do?

You get a dog, or dogs.

You put it (or them) outside in a pen. Leave it there all day, every day, all night, every night, 24 hours a day, 365 days regardless of weather. You let it bark constantly, either not caring about the neighbors, or just totally oblivious. It can be heard clearly at least a quarter mile away, inside with the windows closed, so you MUST hear it 50' out in your backyard.

So, tell me again ... WHY do you have a dog? What enjoyment do you get out of keeping something caged up?

Huh? I doubt the people who treat their dogs that way will respond. I also don't think too many here treat their pets that way either. I hope not, at least.

I would hope that this actually applies to very few dog people, especially on this forum. My dogs are family. They sleep in my bed, go for rides in the car, enjoy hiking, etc.

I'm guessing you have crappy neighbors who treat their dogs like crap, but please don't lump us all in with them.

I'm guessing you have crappy neighbors who treat their dogs like crap, but please don't lump us all in with them.
I said 'some'.

Believe me, it's normal out here in the country. Few dogs are taken inside the house at all. Some are. Most are left outside. Some are hunting dogs, but not all.

Since it's so prevalent, there is no such thing as animal neglect or abuse in these situations. I have at least four that I can hear regularly. Sound travels out here. I know where they are, and all of them are at least a quarter mile away.

They bark all the time, at anything, everything or nothing. I guess they're barking seeking attention from their owners since people rarely go into the yards. Property is anywhere from an acre to over 50 acres, so it's not like the dogs feel threatened or have any need to warn their owners of danger. Deer, racoons, rabbits, oppossums and other such animals don't pose dangers, but dogs bark at them just the same.

I think OP meant her question rhetorically as Buzzytoes said. There are bad pet owners out there which sucks.... My dad's neighbours are not necessarily s$@@@y pet owners but they've never trained their German Shepard and she barks and cries all day and they'll be home and just ignore it. She scratches at the fence and barks all day! Take your dog for a walk and play with her. She obviously wants attention and to have "a job"

Same with some cat owners too.

Let's us be glad there are good pet owners too as well as amazing foster parents and pet parents that adopt :smile:

This is a pet peeve of mine. Dogs want to be with their people. We have some "friends" (not close friends but the guy is an old friend of my DH from years ago) who keep their 2 Rottweilers in the back yard 100% of the time. When we visited them, the dogs were looking in the patio doors, wanting to be with the people. The people didn't want their floors damaged by the big dogs. After these two dogs died, they replaced them with another set. Why do they want them? Watch dogs? Possesesions? Occasional playmates? I don't know.
Then there are our next door neighbors. They got a black Lab - presumably to play with their kids. The dog was outside alone most of the time. Then suddenly she was gone. They said she ran away. We think they got rid of her. I hope she found a better home.

Some people don't realize the responsibility it is having a dog.

:rant::rant:OK rant over.

I have an in-law who treats his dogs this way, according to my son. I've suggested he and his wife report him, since they have the personal knowledge of his neglect, but they haven't so far. I can't tell you how much I loathe the man. He shouldn't be entrusted with a goldfish, much less be allowed to buy a dog.

I agree with everyone else--people like this aren't true *dog people*.

Our next door neighbors have "outdoor" dogs. For the life of me I cannot figure out why, because when they were puppies they were brought inside at night during the winter when it was very cold. One of them now has diabetes and they are out there every night giving her a shot so obviously they care about them. Same with the dog before these two. They take good care of them, they just are outside dogs. I have never really understood that mentality if they are not working dogs.

I have had neighbors like the OP described. They had a Collie, kept it crated all day, then locked it out in the (small) backyard for hours on end, where she would bark endlessly. They never even came out to check on her. So frustrating.

I also dated a guy (jerk) who had a Jack Russell Terrier. He kept that poor dog crated 23 hours per day. He barely let him out for 30 minutes to eat when he got home from work, and then he wondered why the poor dog was insanely hyper and going crazy for affection, so he'd get annoyed & stick him back in the crate. I swear that dog was out for maybe 45 minutes a day between feeding time & going outside to potty. Not even for a "walk" - he'd just take him out on the leash, wait for him to do his business, then back indoors & back into the crate. Makes me mad just thinking about that idiot.

Those are just crappy pet owners IMHO. it can apply to all animals, not just dogs, although for some reason dogs seem to be the pet of choice of these people. I think some people feel like a dog is a necessity to complete their little picture-perfect family, or a status thing (breed), or just what you are "supposed" to have for the kids. Then they get one & don't want to put any effort into actually caring for it. The majority of ladies I have seen posting in here love their animals & treat them accordingly.

PS I'm a cat owner & my pets are like family, always have been. They don't tear up my furniture or mark/potty on my floors, either! :lol:

Last edited:
I have had neighbors like the OP described. They had a Collie, kept it crated all day, then locked it out in the (small) backyard for hours on end, where she would bark endlessly. They never even came out to check on her. So frustrating.

I also dated a guy (jerk) who had a Jack Russell Terrier. He kept that poor dog crated 23 hours per day. He barely let him out for 30 minutes to eat when he got home from work, and then he wondered why the poor dog was insanely hyper and going crazy for affection, so he'd get annoyed & stick him back in the crate. I swear that dog was out for maybe 45 minutes a day between feeding time & going outside to potty. Not even for a "walk" - he'd just take him out on the leash, wait for him to do his business, then back indoors & back into the crate. Makes me mad just thinking about that idiot.

Those are just crappy pet owners IMHO. it can apply to all animals, not just dogs, although for some reason dogs seem to be the pet of choice of these people. I think some people feel like a dog is a necessity to complete their little picture-perfect family, or a status thing (breed), or just what you are "supposed" to have for the kids. Then they get one & don't want to put any effort into actually caring for it. The majority of ladies I have seen posting in here love their animals & treat them accordingly.

PS I'm a cat owner & my pets are like family, always have been. They don't tear up my furniture or mark/potty on my floors, either! :lol:

That ex-boyfriend of yours sounds like a monster. Makes our friends with the Rottweilers in the backyard look like saints. So sad.

I have cats too.....they don't require as much attention as dogs. They have done some damage to the furniture. And they are part of the family.:smile:

Last edited: