I Don't Feel Comfortable Meeting With My Buyer

morgan20

Happy
O.G.
Jul 21, 2007
I sold an IPhone yesterday on Ebay and the buyer who is a man, would like me to meet up with him to do the transaction. I said that would be fine, however I am feeling very uncomfortable at this moment.

He gave me his number because he has been duped before. He phoned me only half an hour ago..... but know I feel sick!

What should I do bearing in mind he does have a good seller and buyer feedback?

I don't know just a gut feeling. My partner would go mad if a) I sold my phone on Ebay and b) If I was going to meet with the buyer. It was going to be some where public, but something does not feel right!

What is exactly not making you feel right?? Did you have a previous unpleasant

experience??

Definitely, meet him someplace public... a coffee shop like Starbucks

and if you are really feeling that uncomfortable, just refund the buyer.....or tell

him you will have to ship the item... something unexpected came up & you are

unable to meet ...and why would your partner be so upset that you are selling

your phone... is that upsetting you more because he doesn't know & he'll be

annoyed with you that you sold it???

What is exactly not making you feel right?? Did you have a previous unpleasant

experience??

Definitely, meet him someplace public... a coffee shop like Starbucks

and if you are really feeling that uncomfortable, just refund the buyer.....or tell

him you will have to ship the item... something unexpected came up & you are

unable to meet ...and why would your partner be so upset that you are selling

your phone... is that upsetting you more because he doesn't know & he'll be

annoyed with you that you sold it???

Hi,
I sold an ipnone last year and I had a non payment buyer (who happened to buy about ten phones in four days) It was a very unpleasant experience. Anyway back onto this buyer he probably is genuine, he has not paid yet, would rather pay tomorrow in cash! Once he checks the phone is in good working order.

My partner does not think I should use Ebay for any thing....he has never used Ebay. My partner is not the problem at all. I would meet him if I did not feel unsure......he seemed okay on the phone. However my instinct is telling me something else!

What is making you nervous exactly? I would go with your spouse or a friend, don't meet him alone!

Or meet him somewhere in public.
^^^ Above, except AND meet in public. Go with someone AND do it in public if you decide to go through with it.

Personally, for a phone, i think meeting and having him be able to test it is better than sending it because he can't pull "doesn't work," or "can't activate," of some other BS switch excuse.

In this case, why not meet at the Verizon/ATT/Sprint, etc. store? It's public and they can validate the phone.

^^^ Above, except AND meet in public. Go with someone AND do it in public if you decide to go through with it.

Personally, for a phone, i think meeting and having him be able to test it is better than sending it because he can't pull "doesn't work," or "can't activate," of some other BS switch excuse.

In this case, why not meet at the Verizon/ATT/Sprint, etc. store? It's public and they can validate the phone.

Thanks for that......I think I started to panic when he sent a message and he had not paid yet! He has phoned again and did say I would not meet up.....he will phone back once he has discussed it with his partner. Maybe I am being a bit too cautious :shrugs:

Thanks for that......I think I started to panic when he sent a message and he had not paid yet! He has phoned again and did say I would not meet up.....he will phone back once he has discussed it with his partner. Maybe I am being a bit too cautious :shrugs:

If you were planning a meet, it would make sense that he would not pay in advance. It actually works against you if you accept a Paypal payment and then hand over the item in person. You would have no proof of delivery should a scammy buyer file an INR. Cash is the only sensible option here.

If you meet in a well populated public place, there is probably not a great deal of risk. There is nothing in his communication that would suggest he has bad intentions. But, having said that, if you feel uncomfortable doing it, don't do it.

Bring someone with you if you're feeling unsure. Other than that, I've found that in-person transactions can be a lot more pleasant than online transactions...at least in my case, when selling jeans, the buyer can try them on and choose the best-fitting pairs, so she can't say they don't fit and ask for a refund/exchange...plus, when they pay you in cash, PP and Ebay can't take their cut :smile: I usually meet with buyers at the local community college, since one of their buildings has an ATM and ample space to try things on (except most of the time I'm only home on breaks when they're closed, or my buyers want to meet at times when the building's closed, which created some interesting scheduling over Christmas break...)

^ This is a great idea.

I would also vote to meet at the phone store. On a side note be aware of what is going on. My friend's daughter sold a necklace on Craigslist and met with the buyer in person. The buyer distracted her and switched the necklace for a fake one. She did not know of this until weeks later. She had the necklace in her hand and claimed to want to take a better look at it with a mirror from her purse and probably switched it when she reached for the mirror. She then said she did not like the necklace. I am not sure if things like this are even common but they can happen. I would also bring a friend or two.

a public place, a bank and bringing a friend are all good options... however, if

you don't feel comfortable, why subject yourself to something when you are

not feeling good about it to start off with???

*Update* Thanks ladies for all your replies.....he will pay tonight and I am going to post the phone.

I don't think I will be selling anything on Ebay again...I know this may be over dramatic, but I just want a plain sailing transaction. Am I asking for too much??

Also the poor guy is probably genuine :thinking: