I do not accept returns, buyer wants to return anyway..

awong10

O.G.
Nov 30, 2006
New York City
I have a problem on my hands. I sold an item to a buyer who insists on returning the item. I told her that my auction clearly states I do not accept returns. I did ask her if there was a problem with the purchase. She does not tell me why she's unhappy but again insists on returning the item.

What will happen if she send its back to me? Will PayPal make me refund her?

Apr 15, 2007
well, they could possibly open a pp/ebay claim.. they can contact their cc company

and dispute the charge.. what exactly is not right about the item..

ask your buyer to be upfront with you and perhaps be given the chance to

rectify the situation.. or perhaps is it buyer's remorse..

pippaWA

Jan 30, 2009
Pacific Northwest
I have a problem on my hands. I sold an item to a buyer who insists on returning the item. I told her that my auction clearly states I do not accept returns. I did ask her if there was a problem with the purchase. She does not tell me why she's unhappy but again insists on returning the item.

That depends. Will she open a claim? Will she send the items back to you via a trackable shippping method?

If you don't wish to deal with return then tell her that you are so sorry but you don't accept returns and leave it at that. You don't have to keep communicating with her any further.

If she opens a Paypal claim then she will have to provide a reason as to why she wants to do a return. She will also have to send the items back to you via a trackable shipping method. This is expensive and time consuming, so she may simply change her mind.

p-WA

bag-princess

Spoiled Princess
O.G.
Jun 17, 2007
South
I told her that my auction clearly states I do not accept returns.
someone told me that means nothing anymore! if the buyer make a good enough case - they can return and get the money they paid back. it's just like saying in a listing "once the item ships i am not responsible for it if you don't by insurance!"

AmbassadorBri

UPS <3's TPF, too!
Jul 23, 2009
Sadly, you are screwed on this one. Even if you have a "don't accept returns policy," as long as she/he is not happy with the item, they can file a dispute and you have to accept the return anyway. It stinks.

coutureinatl

Jan 31, 2010
you can say no returns until you are blue in the face and the buyer can still return the item.

It is best to just accept the return and not upset the customer. Fighting it will only make them upset which will most likely lead to a negative feedback and a case open with you having to refund them anyway.

shinymagpie

vintage bag lady
Mar 29, 2008

In addition to the points from others. How experienced a buyer are they? Do they have a low feedback score? Click on their feedback and look at the feedback left for others.
Was your item exactly as you described it?
Did it match the photos?

When I have had queries from buyers, it has sometimes been when they didn't realise that there were 24 photos down below. They only looked at the top one and the shipping details. They didn't actually see the description because they had no idea it was there. After showing this to them, things get much better.

If the person has a lot of feedback but leaves none for other people, maybe they are a reseller and has decided that the item won't work for them.

If they have any feedback from sellers saying 'deal didn't go through', that might be a red light. Or if they have left a lot of feedback saying 'very understanding' seller, that would be a red light too. That means that they do this a lot, which is a pain for both the seller and for eBay/PayPal because it is a net loss to everyone.

Personally I have only ever felt like returning something once, but I didn't. I re-wrote and rephotographed it and sold it for more!

I have also had people ask me if I will take a return and I have said "no, but you are welcome to sell it and would you like some hints on how to do it? Usually they say "thank you" and do ask for the hints.

The key is communication. Communication is golden. But hard if they won't tell you what is going on. That is when reviewing their feedback really closely will tell you more about who you are dealing with.

Ideally, if you say no returns and your item is as described and photographed, you should make them formally complain if they really want to push it.

If that scares you, then go with the return option. But, it won't stop them from leaving you negative feedback if they are the grumpy sort. It also won't stop them doing it to someone else.

here's the words from eBay

For "item not as described" claims, sellers may protect themselves from losing a claim if they provide clear documentation that the item was described properly. For example, claims may be resolved in the seller's favor when the seller provides documentation of any of the following situations:
  • the buyer complains that the item is used, not new, and the listing clearly describes the item as used
  • a defect in the item was correctly described by the seller
  • the item was properly described, but the buyer didn't want it after they received it
  • the item was properly described but did not meet buyers' expectations
  • the item has minor scratches and was listed as used condition.

Good luck with however you decide to go with it.

him8nce_momma69

designer diva
O.G.
Dec 20, 2009
Our designer closets...

Sounds like buyer's remorse to me too. I don't accept returns either, and state as much in my auctions. Unfortunately, the system set up by eBay is geared more towards the buyers, so, in the end, you're most likely screwed and will have to accept it. GL!!

fashion_mom1

Apr 28, 2009
I would just try to fully understand what the problem is that way you can resolve it. If she does not have an answer then it is just buyer's remorse. Unfortunantly you will most likely have to take the return no matter what. Maybe better to let her do it now and get it out of the way.

Apr 15, 2007
you are between a rock & a hard place.. if your buyer decides to open

a dispute.. more likely than not she will return the bag .if you can resolve it

for what ever the reason is.. which she hasn't disclosed.. it very well could be

buyer's remorse.. and for the reasons listed above by shinymagpie pp usually sides

with the buyer...

Joannek1717

Nov 9, 2009
Connecticut
I'm having a knock-down, drag out fight with a buyer today too....maybe it's in the air. She sent me three pictures of a little crease and insisted that there were HUGE water stains in her case to Ebay. Basically, she wants me to pay return postage - PRIORITY - so that she can BUY ANOTHER BAG. I told her she could return the bag and get all her $$ - including return postage - the minute I saw her feedback. She said "I'll decide on feedback after I have the $$." My momma didn't have no stupid children, LOL. Actually, that last line sounds like something she would say - her grammar is horrible.

Sooner or later, somebody is gonna neg you, no matter what you do. She asked me to send it ASAP, so I sent it PRIORITY instead of parcel post as was stated in the auction. Apparently, she then saw something she wanted more. And out of 13 transactions, she's already left another neg.

Sooooo, let PP give her the $$ - she won't get return shipping. And she won't get it in time to get "the other bag." She's gonna neg me anyhow, so why should I give her extra money???

The system stinks, but it's all we've got. Sorry, I just vented on your dime.

shinymagpie

vintage bag lady
Mar 29, 2008
I think there's a typo here Hotshot....!!:wondering

here's the words from eBay

For "item not as described" claims, sellers may protect themselves from losing a claim if they provide clear documentation that the item was described properly. For example, claims may be resolved in the seller's favor when the seller provides documentation of any of the following situations:
  • the buyer complains that the item is used, not new, and the listing clearly describes the item as used
  • a defect in the item was correctly described by the seller
  • the item was properly described, but the buyer didn't want it after they received it
  • the item was properly described but did not meet buyers' expectations
  • the item has minor scratches and was listed as used condition.
you are between a rock & a hard place.. if your buyer decides to open

a dispute.. more likely than not she will return the bag .if you can resolve it

for what ever the reason is.. which she hasn't disclosed.. it very well could be

buyer's remorse.. and for the reasons listed above by shinymagpie pp usually sides

with the buyer
These are the reasons why PayPal and eBay would side with a seller to protect them from a claim of Significantly Not As Described (SNAD)

If the OP has described and photographed it well, she should have protection under the user agreements.

The same thing should apply to JoanneK1717, if she has described and photographed her item well, the buyer should have no ability to claim SNAD. JoanneK1717, maybe you will need your own thread for your story.

OP any new developments?:smile: