I didn't want to do it, but I did

Ratnapur

Gem rescuer!
Jan 9, 2011
...now, doesn't THAT sound mighty intriguing :graucho:?

In reality, it's nothing exciting, nor gossip-worthy. I spent yesterday cleaning out my attic, and boxing stuff up for a veterans' charity. I have a set of Christmas plates (8 place settings) that I bought about 16 years ago. Since we now seem to have a never-ending conga line of guests (I love that!!!), 8 place settings are no longer enough, and I can't get more of them. When I moved out of Mom's house about 8 years ago, I seldom used them. Two years ago, DH & I spent 2 days de-cluttering the attic, during a bad blizzard (neither one of us could get to work on those days). I had boxed them up for the charity then, but kept changing my mind. I think the real reason I wanted to keep them is: when I was a kid, my Dad was abusive to me; but, the day I bought the plates, he was with me, and was happy I was buying them. It's literally the only warm, happy memory of have of him. I know it's silly, but I just don't want to give those plates away (Dad died in 1999).

However, I've decided that the re-sale of those plates will go toward helping some of our veterans, so it's for a good cause. I've spent the past 2 years scolding myself for being so selfish. I'm usually not the sentimental type about objects; I am about memories, but I just clung to that memory of Dad. I know I'm being silly!

Does anyone else do this?

Sep 7, 2008
I don't think you're being silly at all. I totally understand about hanging on to at least one happy memory from someone who should have given you more. I also think that's very thoughtful of you to give the money to a good cause.
I have one reasonably positive/happy memory of my father, and a few of my mother - all up, not many at all. Both are now dead. My mother died recently from cancer, and my brother and my younger sister and I have been having mini garage sales and have donated the money raised to a charity she used to donate to regularly, Guide Dogs Australia. (My oldest sister, however, insists on her quarter share of the cash. *sigh*)

Sternchen

O.G.
May 16, 2006
I don't think you'Re being silly. I would have held on to those plates for the same exact reason.

Sorry that you and your dad didn't have the best relationship, but do hang on to those memories and think of them often. :hugs: