i did something wrong.. again.

writtenstars

shopaholic :)
Jun 14, 2009
so i listed a bag yesterday, in 2 places - ebay and a local selling website.
so, i had questions from a buyer in ebay, abd had offers etc. i made a counter offer. And then i went to bed.

This morning i was woken up by a phone call, from a buyer from the lacal selling website, saying that she would like to meet up today and trade. So i promised her, like no problem. The time was nearly 0900.

I turned on my computer, and went to take a shower etc. Came back and checked my email. The buyer on ebay had accepted my offer a few mins after i got off the phone with the other buyer.

I immediately wrote a msg saying that i am sorry but i promised someone else that i would trade with them today, and i hope she would understand and cancel the transaction. She declined the cancel transaction request, and said she opened a dispute (i doubt she can do that, its been only 3 hours since she accepted)

Now i am totally screwed. I can't not fulfill my promise to the person on the phone, it is an obligation. And i had no idea that the person on ebay would accept the offer that early, she even had emails asking about the authenticity of the bag(which i haven't replied yet) before she decided to accept the offer.

Another stupid thing i did, adding up to all stupid things i did on ebay. sighs.

Last edited:
We all get ourselves into jams. It seems like the 2nd Buyer is playing hardball. Tell the 1st Buyer that while you were getting it ready to trade with her you noticed something defective, i.e, ripped lining, mark in the leather. Let her back out, this way your not the bad guy. Since you already told the 2nd buyer that you sold it, you can't go this route with her. Then after your safely out of it, go back to the one who is playing hardball, and tell her you felt so bad and apologize and let the sale happen. I wouldn't normally advise someone to lie, but you have to protect your selling reputation. Bad feedback in the long run could cost you money. I'm sure 10 people will respond saying I am wrong, but that is how I would gently handle it. Good luck and don't be hard on yourself, it was an honest error, could happen to anyone.

Why lie? That is not right. She could call her bluff.

You are in for a non-performing seller complaint and a neg in ebay. That is the major problem listing stuff on 2 websites.

elle: thanks for the advice, but i think even doing that wouldnt get her satisfied! after she accepted the offer, she sent me another email saying that since i am a relatively new seller, if she finds anything wrong with the item she receives, she reserves the power to ask for a refund etc. When i read that email i knew i was in great trouble, i have never had a buyer like that before. And i never thought she would buy something if she was asking for authentication and then buying it before getting it authenticated.

applepielicious: i would rather deal with the local buyer now, the ebay buyer won't be satisfied either way i guess. Even if the sale would go on perfectly, she still would find some flaws on the bag etc, and mb buyers remorse. She made it clear that i was a new seller, and she would ask for a refund if she finds anything that doesn't suit her needs/ expectations!

As an ebay seller, you are contractually bound to sell an item that you've listed for sale if a buyer wins or buys it.

On the other hand, while I don't know the other site you listed on, if it's something like Craigslist or a local Penny shopper, there's no obligation to follow through.

As a new seller a negative feedback will kill you because I assume you don't have high feedback and if she also dings your stars, you're toast. And if she reports you as a NPS, you risk suspension.

I would recommend that you cancel with the local buyer and bend over backwards for the ebay buyer and follow through. Explain to her that you made a mistake and want to make it right. Be humble and hope she doesn't turn out to be a PITA.

ALso, I think it was wrong to ask her for a mutual because you made a mistake and sold the same item to two people. She wouldn't have accepted your offer if she didn't want it, so to ask her to agree to a mutual so you don't get your account dinged or so you don't have to pay a FVF is like adding salt to the wound.

Agree with BeenBurned.

As I read the OP, the sequence has the eBay buyer first to be active in this sale and first to accept a counteroffer. That means, first. I can't see why you figure that honoring the local person, who was second up, is where your ethics should lie. Not as I see it.

Do the right thing on eBay. I think her second email about reserving the right is, frankly, fair.

Well, i honored the local person, as she called me first, technically, and i got the email from the ebayer after i received the call. The time on my email account clearly states that, the local buyer isn't second up. so i think that is ethical, and i don't have a problem with that.

Its only because that the selling is on ebay, thats why it is concerning, about the feedback people give and etc. i think i did something to heart, and i don't regret that i did.

If it was different, like selling on bonanzle and ebay, and both listings are sold at the same time, i don't think any of you will say that i should honor the ebayer first, because ebay has feedback, but so does bonanzle. Its just first come first serve. The ebayer did not accept the counter offer before the local person called, and i don't think i did anything wrong but honoring the person that sealed the deal first.

As an ebay seller, you are contractually bound to sell an item that you've listed for sale if a buyer wins or buys it.

On the other hand, while I don't know the other site you listed on, if it's something like Craigslist or a local Penny shopper, there's no obligation to follow through.

As a new seller a negative feedback will kill you because I assume you don't have high feedback and if she also dings your stars, you're toast. And if she reports you as a NPS, you risk suspension.

I would recommend that you cancel with the local buyer and bend over backwards for the ebay buyer and follow through. Explain to her that you made a mistake and want to make it right. Be humble and hope she doesn't turn out to be a PITA.

ALso, I think it was wrong to ask her for a mutual because you made a mistake and sold the same item to two people. She wouldn't have accepted your offer if she didn't want it, so to ask her to agree to a mutual so you don't get your account dinged or so you don't have to pay a FVF is like adding salt to the wound.
Agreed

Stars, you've already made your decision, so that part of it is done.
Why don't you at least contact the ebay buyer and tell her what happened. Apologize to her and see if you can come to a mutual cancellation of the transaction. It might not work but try it.
If you leave her out there twisting in the wind, she is going to be much angrier and her feedback will be worse.

cats: i've apologized to her twice, and in a very sincere manner too, right after i got the notification. i've explained to her, very nice tone ofc. She just said she opened a dispute with ebay.
She denied the request, and has already left me a negative.

To be completely honest, I would have given you negative feedback too. I don't think it's a good idea to try and sell on ebay, where things are automatic, in addition to other places. Like, if you were just selling in two places - a forum and craigslist for example, that would be different, because it's not automatic.. but when it's Ebay, it's probably smartest not to try and sell elsewhere at the same time.

after she accepted the offer, she sent me another email saying that since i am a relatively new seller, if she finds anything wrong with the item she receives, she reserves the power to ask for a refund etc.

She has that right, anyway. :yes:

If there is anything wrong with the item, that wasn't mentioned in the description (and obviously, if it turned out to be fake), the item is SNAD and therefore, she is entitled to a refund.

When i read that email i knew i was in great trouble

Why does that email suggest you're in great trouble?

Is there something wrong with the bag, that you know you haven't mentioned, or could it possibly be fake, do you think?