I did it!!! Got my first LV bag (the elegant Damier Ribera MM) & some accessories

LaciGirl007

Jul 30, 2007
Well, I finally did it!!! I figured that what with frequent flier miles becoming more and more useless due to all the restrictions the airlines are putting on them, I wasn't going to be able to use my AmEx reward points for any trips I really want to take. So a few weeks ago, I cashed in most of my AmEx reward points (which I'd been "saving" for about twenty years -- yes, I'm a latecomer to LV) for Saks gift cards, and got a MC Noir small agenda, a mini golden pen for the agenda, a MC Noir business card case (which I'm using basically as a wallet for my credit cards, driver's license, insurance info, etc.), and a white MC Pochette wallet.

Since then, however, I've been so paranoid about color transfer that I've been too scared to even taken the poor Pochette out of her pouch. So a few days ago, I cashed in the rest of my AmEx reward points for more Saks gift cards, and today I returned the Pochette (she'll have a happier life with a braver soul who will actually use her) and used the store credit and the GC to get the only LV bag that really sang to me: the lovely, demure, classy Damier Ribera MM!!!

I never would have thought to do this, but for finding tPF, and spending many hours this past month reading through the LV forum. Many thanks to all of you for opening my eyes to the beauty of LV!!

Last edited:
Well, I finally did it!!! I figured that what with frequent flier miles becoming more and more useless due to all the restrictions the airlines are putting on them, I wasn't going to be able to use my AmEx reward points for any trips I really want to take. So a few weeks ago, I cashed in most of my AmEx reward points (which I'd been "saving" for about twenty years -- yes, I'm a latecomer to LV) for Saks gift cards, and got a MC Noir small agenda, a mini golden pen for the agenda, a MC Noir business card case (which I'm using basically as a wallet for my credit cards, driver's license, insurance info, etc.), and a white MC Pochette wallet.

Since then, however, I've been so paranoid about color transfer that I've been too scared to even taken the poor Pochette out of her pouch. So a few days ago, I cashed in the rest of my AmEx reward points for more Saks gift cards, and today I returned the Pochette (she'll have a happier life with a braver soul who will actually use her) and used the store credit and the GC to get the only LV bag that really sang to me: the lovely, demure, classy Damier Ribera MM!!!

I never would have thought to do this, but for finding tPF, and spending many hours this past month reading through the LV forum. Many thanks to all of you for opening my eyes to the beauty of LV!!

Wow! What a haul!
Pics??? :tup::heart:

I'll get pics up as soon as I can, hopefully tomorrow. (I'm such a dinosaur that I still prefer my trusty 35mm, but DH will take some digital pix & email them to me so I can post them here.) I was almost embarrassed to ask him to take the pix for me, since he thinks my LV interest is shallower than shallow, but he readily agreed to take the pix. He actually said he likes the Ribera!! He said it had nice clean lines & styling. An incredible response from a totally-non-fashion guy, and a testament to how amazingly designed this bag is!

And to think that just a few short months ago, I didn't "get" bag lust at all!:shame:

Wow you must have had some kind of American Express point balance. Are you speaking of the blue American Express. I spend a lot on my AX card each month I should probably check into this. Your selections are fabulous and I think you did the right thing exchanging the pochette for the damier bag, for you will get so much use from the bag and this is what its all about, enjoying them!

Thanks! It was the plain ol' green AmEx card -- actually two: I got an AmEx card as soon as I graduated from college, then a few years later when I went into business for myself, I got another AmEx card for business purposes, so every dollar spent (and paid on time) turned into an AmEx Membership Reward Point. I use one or the other of those AmEx cards for everything I possibly can (groceries; business travel; even my daughter's pre-school tuition payments). For the past 20 years, I've hardly paid for anything any other way than with my AmEx. (I'm sounding like a commercial, aren't I?) So after 20 years of this, there were about 225,000 points just sitting there....a Louis Vuitton boutique just sitting there in my local Saks....and Saks gift cards available for 100 AmEx points per dollar...and the cartoon light bulb above my head just lit up when I realized what all that meant!

(I did have a scare when, after I ordered the gift cards -- an irreversible process, according to the AmEx Reward rules -- I learned here on tPF that there was some question about whether the LV boutique would honor the Saks GC. I then called AmEx, which said LV would not, and I also called Saks, which said LV would not, but I figured since I couldn't turn the GC back into AmEx points, I might as well take a chance, so it was with my heart in my throat that I turned up at the LV boutique in Saks to get the SLG and asked, oh so casually, "You take these, right?" holding up the GC. "Uh huh," said the LV SA, as if there were no question about it. Whew!!!)

I feel like I found some miraculous loophole in the system.

Last edited:
Congrats on the bag! But too bad about the white multicolore wallet... I've had mine for almost three years and no color transfer at all. They are so durable and made to be used, though of course also cared for. I hope you find another wallet you like. And you are under no obligation to post pictures, btw.