I cut the store tags off and I wore it...now am I stuck with it?

Omaha_2072

Back At Square One
Aug 1, 2008
I have a question about Victoria's Secret return policy that I hope you all might be able to help me out with...

First, let me start off by saying that I rarely ever return items back to the store. I'm the kind of shopper that researches products before I make a purchase. I rarely ever shop on a whim, and I am not financially able to either. I rarely ever have time to casually shop. When I go to the mall or to the department store, it's for a specific reason.

So on 11/5/10 (this past Friday) I purchased (2) VS "Incredible" bras @ $45 a piece plus tax. I had seen them online and I liked the racer back style of the bra the most. I even tried one on in the store and had a sales associate double check the fitting for the bra for me before I purchased them. They seemed to be comfortable, which is the most important thing for me when buying bras.

The next day I cut the tags off one and wore it for about half the day. The back was super comfortable like I had hoped. However, this may be TMI, but somewhat often it felt like my boobs were popping out of the bra cups. And I had to keep stuffing them back in. At times you could even see a "poppin fresh" look through my shirt. Almost like a "muffin top" witch jeans. So I decided to give the bra a whirl again the next day. Same problems. Actually to the point that it was terribly annoying and I felt like I was constantly adjusting myself. So either the size of the bra is incorrect (which is my best guess). Or this style of bra just isn't right for my body.

Obviously I can still return the other bra that still has the tags attached. But I wonder what my options are with the $45 bra that I've worn that is hellish? I've saved the store tags for it. And I still have the receipt. I have not tried calling the store yet. I don't want to come across as the sicko that tries to return a used bra, ya know? :thinking:

Well...I did wear it. My plan is to be honest with them about that fact. Wonder if I should call the store 1st, or just show up to discuss my problem?

I think they will accept it if you do it soooon. The more time you wait, they might think you have worn it and it will seem suspicious..

I think if you go back right away and explain the situation they may let you return or exchange. I mean, it's one thing to wear something once to a party and then return it because you couldn't afford it, but it's another thing to find out that an item clearly doesn't work for you. Just be totally honest that you were fitted and you did wear it, but that it's very uncomfortable.

ETA: I would call them first, just so that if they say no, you didn't waste a trip to the store.

Since you have to return the unworn one anyway, I would just bring the worn one to the store with you. As long as you explain the situation, I think they should allow you to return both if they have any inkling of customer service. At least for store credit, KWIM?

Just make sure they know which one you wore and which one you didn't, so they don't accidentally put the worn one on the floor (^(oo)^)v

Since you have to return the unworn one anyway, I would just bring the worn one to the store with you. As long as you explain the situation, I think they should allow you to return both if they have any inkling of customer service. At least for store credit, KWIM?

Just make sure they know which one you wore and which one you didn't, so they don't accidentally put the worn one on the floor (^(oo)^)v

It is my understanding, that VS is notorious for putting worn items back on the floor for sale. There was some media on this recently where they went undercover and found that they were even putting underwear back on the floor for sale.
I don't believe that retailers should take undergarments back that have had the tags removed for that very reason. The exception would be if the item was defective - like in the post above where the seams ripped.

Last edited:
This question blows my mind. In the UK returning something worn would be totally impossible unless the item was defective or misrepresented. And it is gross if the retailer puts it out on display again for resale.

IF the retailer is willing to write off the cost of the bra as a gesture of good customer service and dispose of it then that's up to them. But for you to ask them to do that? You do realise the cost of these write offs is eventually passed onto future customers, right?

It is my understanding, that VS is notorious for putting worn items back on the floor for sale. There was some media on this recently where they went undercover and found that they were even putting underwear back on the floor for sale.
I don't believe that retailers should take undergarments back that have had the tags removed for that very reason. The exception would be if the item was defective - like in the post above where the seams ripped.

In the UK panties are NEVER returnable and bras are returnable only with tags for this very reason. Swimwear is returnable only if the "safety" sticker is intact.

I guess my biggest complaint is that i was specifically "fitted" by a VS SA before I bought the bras to make sure I was buying the right size that I needed. Maybe this particular bras runs differently size wise compared to the VS basic cotton underwire bra? I feel like I took the precautions I needed to make an honest effort to purchase bras that would fit me & that I would keep. But I do feel like its a fit issue with these bras that makes them not work for me. I think maybe I wasn't fitted properly in store. Maybe the SA was new? Who knows? It's mere speculation I guess. Hence why I would like to return them (even the worn one) and purchase 2 other bras that would fit me better. I don't think that an unreasonable request to be honest.

This question blows my mind. In the UK returning something worn would be totally impossible unless the item was defective or misrepresented. And it is gross if the retailer puts it out on display again for resale.

IF the retailer is willing to write off the cost of the bra as a gesture of good customer service and dispose of it then that's up to them. But for you to ask them to do that? You do realise the cost of these write offs is eventually passed onto future customers, right?

Last edited:
I guess my biggest complaint is that i was specifically "fitted" by a VS SA before I bought the bras to make sure I was buying the right size that I needed. Maybe this particular bras runs differently size wise compared to the VS basic cotton underwire bra? I feel like I took the precautions I needed to make an honest effort to purchase bras that would fit me & that I would keep. But I do feel like its a fit issue with these bras that makes them not work for me. I think maybe I wasn't fitted properly in store. Maybe the SA was new? Who knows? It's mere speculation I guess. Hence why I would like to return them (even the worn one) and purchase 2 other bras that would fit me better. I don't think that an unreasonable request to be honest.

Then that's different because you were sold a product which does not match its description. I would call them and explain that you are falling out a bra you were fitted for and see what they say.

It was your responsibility to check for fit but if they took that responsibilty from you then they are liable.