I can't recall the names... who has filed SNAD for off-eBay transactions using Paypal

coachfreak

Looking for LVOE
Oct 27, 2007
I am trying to remember who did this and can't.

If you have filed SNAD for off-eBay transactions (we don't need to know where the sale was conducted) what was the outcome?

I am trying to remember who did this and can't.

If you have filed SNAD for off-eBay transactions (we don't need to know where the sale was conducted) what was the outcome?

do you mean paypal provides buyer protection for non-ebay purchases? i wasn't aware but am interested because i am considering purchasing an item from a store that accepts paypal. can anyone else confirm?

I just had it out with them. If it's not an Ebay item, Paypal will do NOTHING. Thank goodness I did use American Express and I contested the charges with them. Paypal sucks:cursing:
This is the message they sent about 30 seconds after I filed the claim:

You have chosen to escalate your dispute to a PayPal claim. By ending
communication with the seller, you are asking PayPal to investigate the
case and decide the outcome. As part of our investigation, PayPal reviewed
any communication you may have had in the Resolution Center.

Our investigation into your claim is complete. As stated in our User
Agreement, the claims process only applies to the shipment of goods. It
does not apply to complaints about the attributes or quality of goods
received. Therefore, we are unable to reverse this transaction or issue a
refund.

Last edited:
I just had it out with them. If it's not an Ebay item, Paypal will do NOTHING. Thank goodness I did use American Express and I contested the charges with them. Paypal sucks:cursing:
This is the message they sent about 30 seconds after I filed the claim:

You have chosen to escalate your dispute to a PayPal claim. By ending
communication with the seller, you are asking PayPal to investigate the
case and decide the outcome. As part of our investigation, PayPal reviewed
any communication you may have had in the Resolution Center.

Our investigation into your claim is complete. As stated in our User
Agreement, the claims process only applies to the shipment of goods. It
does not apply to complaints about the attributes or quality of goods
received. Therefore, we are unable to reverse this transaction or issue a
refund.

Thanks... I just saw another person who had this trouble today. I was trying to make sure I was correct about the buyer complaint policy and just couldn't remember any of the specifics.

WOW... 30 seconds? Were you successful in getting your money back from AMEX?

do you mean paypal provides buyer protection for non-ebay purchases? i wasn't aware but am interested because i am considering purchasing an item from a store that accepts paypal. can anyone else confirm?

You only have protection against non-receipt and not if the item is the wrong one or significantly not as described.

If it is a store though they may have other return policies in place.

For me, yes.

What happened to me about 3 months ago was I saw this necklace that I wanted from a website located in France. I ordered the necklace directly from their website and luckily they accepted PP. I paid and waited. No e-mail confirmation, nothing. This was strictly out of eBay as it wasn't an auction, just a merchant with an online account and they were accepting PP for their CC payments, which I do on my website, as well.

I tried several times to contact the merchant through their "contact us" link on their website after about 3 weeks, and nothing. No replies, nothing.

After about a month and a half of waiting for some sort of confirmation of payment, shipment, tracking—anything. I never got it.

Since I paid with PP, I filed a claim. Waited about 2 weeks, and the merchant still didn't respond to the claim after that. So I escalated it to a dispute (or vice versa—I can't remember which is first).

After the allotted 10 days PP gave to the merchant, they STILL didn't respond so of course, PP refunded me 100% of my money (which included the conversion, as well)—and PP closed it.

Funny thing is, about 2 weeks after that, I received the necklace in the mail. No joke. The merchant contacted me about a week later and said "where's my money? You paid and took it back." I was like, are you kidding me???

I was so mad about how he/she handled the situation, that I shipped the necklace back to them because I was so sour after all of that, that I didn't want it.

So to answer your original question, because this happened to me, PP will still cover you regardless of it being outside of *bay or not. I don't think it matters if *bay is involved—as long as you use PP for a method of payment, you're covered, just like a regular CC.

So to answer your original question, because this happened to me, PP will still cover you regardless of it being outside of *bay or not. I don't think it matters if *bay is involved—as long as you use PP for a method of payment, you're covered, just like a regular CC.

In your situation, they ruled in your favor because you never got the item ordered. If eBay isn't involved, that's all they will do. If there is a confirmed delivery of _something_ to you, that fulfills their obligation to you. So for SNAD issues, it doesn't do you any good.

ok, let's say i order a bv bag from a store in singapore and pay via paypal which debits my amex. what happens if i receive a snad pair of vans with delivery confirmation?

am i sol because paypal just requires delivery confirmation regardless of the box's contents? i think my amex would allow a chargeback but just to make sure, please advise. thanks.

In your situation, they ruled in your favor because you never got the item ordered. If eBay isn't involved, that's all they will do. If there is a confirmed delivery of _something_ to you, that fulfills their obligation to you. So for SNAD issues, it doesn't do you any good.

No, but I would imagine most merchants would accept a return? If not, I would never purchase from them again. I guess with a small owned business like this, it would be difficult to complain as there really isn't anybody to complain to other than the owner.

ok, let's say i order a bv bag from a store in singapore and pay via paypal which debits my amex. what happens if i receive a snad pair of vans with delivery confirmation?

am i sol because paypal just requires delivery confirmation regardless of the box's contents? i think my amex would allow a chargeback but just to make sure, please advise. thanks.

I think as long as you use your AMEX, you'll be just fine! :yes:

I have heard AMEX is one of those cards that will actually cover their customers.

No, but I would imagine most merchants would accept a return? If not, I would never purchase from them again. I guess with a small owned business like this, it would be difficult to complain as there really isn't anybody to complain to other than the owner.

Many might, but the problem with using PayPal for an outside of eBay transaction is that you are opened up to another version of scamming - someone could send you anything, and PayPal won't do much to help you. It is true that you would still have whatever protection your credit card offers, presuming you used a credit card on PayPal, but it will make the whole process a little more difficult.

Yes, you would be screwed via Paypal, but you would still have chargeback rights on AMEX.

You are talking about a legitimate merchant... what if they aren't so legitimate?

My original point is Paypal off-eBay only covers you for non-receipt [which is why they found in your favor originally]. If you had received a different necklace or something that was fake [not real gold, silver, etc...] and the delivery confirmation showed it was delivered Paypal would NOT have found in your favor for a SNAD claim.