I can't believe this is happening to me...

ibezj

Nov 3, 2008
I am a small volume seller - mostly sell from my closet clothes that don't fit or I haven't worn.

I sold someone this designer dress for about 80% off retail and listed the dress as having flaws (minor and not related to the fit...so I listed the item as new with defects) and also noted that the dress ran much smaller than the sizing would indicate (and I encouraged any potential bidder to contact me before bidding if they had questions about the fit). I packed it very nicely and sent it the day after I received payment.

She receives it after two days and contacts me to tell me that the dress is defective because it does not fit her. I told her I explicitly said that I do not accept returns especially for fit reasons and encouraged her to resell the dress if she does not want to keep it but that I cannot accept it.

She gets really angry and accuses me of knowingly selling her a defective item. She opens an SNAD case and I responded by escalating because I had already discussed this with her and she doesn't seem open to any type of resolution I would offer her.

Did I do the right thing? What else do I need to do? I feel like I acted rashly by escalating but she typed to me in nearly all caps and I don't really want to deal with someone who can't even reason with me.

Thanks in advance for your help.

p.s. I wanted to note that I have only sold like 20 or so things ever on *bay (I don't know if I even quality as a small volume seller) and this is the first time that someone has been this unpleasant to me because I always ship the packages next day and pack it beautifully. I hope I don't come off as making a big deal out of this but I am just a little unsettled by everything that's happened.

Last edited:
You did the right thing. As long as your auction clearly stated the information about te sizing I believe eBay/PP will side with you!
Good luck!

Ugh. Really an Item shouldn't qualify as SNAD if it does not properly fit someone (given the measurements were correct in the auction). Im not sure if you will win an ebay case against her, as they tend to side with the buyers. But I would hold my ground were I you.

Last edited:
I think you've done fine so far, I'm not so sure the buyer would win this dispute. Though, you will likely get a negative from the buyer, if you're willing to live with that then hold your ground.

Linda

Thanks everyone for your helpful advice. I think I may run into trouble because I failed to list measurements...I merely asked the bidders to contact me if they have any questions about fit. I did mention in two instances in the listing that the dress ran really small and cautioned them against it.

I should've provided measurements but I left my measuring tape somewhere where it couldn't be found when I put up the listing and then forgot to add it later on.

Do I still have a solid case or am I just a lost cause at this point?

Thanks again!

OP, you might be out of luck if you didn't list measurements. You did say it ran small, but the question is how small? Make sure you list measurements on all clothing and accessories. Oh and shoes too.

This is exactly why selling clothes/shoes on ebay is so tricky, especially with buyers like this one who didn't read the descriptions carefully or did not ask questions before buying.

I'm sorry about your situation, OP. Hope PP rules in your favor.

We can't tell you whether or not you have a "solid case" kuz something like this could go either way. You say you pointed out the dress ran smaller than it should twice on the listing. I would stress that in my response to her dispute (though I take it you already responded).

It will be up to whoever is handling the case at eBay or PP to decide what to give more importance to--the size of the dress or the warning you posted that the size does not accurately describe the dress.

To be honest, I'm not sure why someone would sell or buy something that did not fit true-to-size without the measurements. Technically your description was not inaccurate - it is not like you provided the wrong measurements and you did note that the fit was small. I agree that this one is too close to call.

I am not sure if it's too late to do this since you already escalated this to claim.....My advice to you is offering the full refund, take the item back and relist it. Even if you did win (in this case, it is very slim), the headache of going through the dispute plus the NEG feedback from buyer (this is for sure) are not worth it.

Thanks ladies for your helpful advice. I think the consensus is that since I already escalated the claim there is nothing further that I can contribute to the story aside from waiting for *bay to make its decision.

I guess I am just disillusioned as I feel that I have done my due diligence in describing the item and that the buyer should bear most of the responsibility of asking questions if she can't be sure it would fit her. I have more than on one occasion received something that is described incorrectly but have let it go because I felt that I didn't do my due diligence in extracting all the information from the seller. I feel like *bay has turned into a case of rabid buyers who can't be bothered to read listings accusing people of trying to scam them out of their money.

Sorry to vent on here and I know I have read enough threads to know that *bay favors buyers in most instances but I am still shellshocked by the turn of events.

I guess it was partially my fault for missing the signs. The winning bidder had contacted me about conducting the transaction off *bay and lowballed me an offer about 40 percent less than the winning bid. I should have blocked her when the offer came in but I thought I'd give her the benefit of doubt here and let her bid if she wanted to.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Wow this is a good lesson because I've sold clothes and have never put the measurements down. I've indicated the size and then was descriptive, like: "Size 0 but fits like a 2." I've had bidders ask and then I've measured and given it to them, but I haven't measured unless asked. I've not had any problems, but good to know going forward.