I can't Bare It ! Why Can't We Dress Modestly Anymore?

"you know, you can either wear the low cut shirt, the really short skirt, or the really high heels. you cannot choose all three. that's when regular girls start to look like hookers."

I must say I completely agree. I've never been one to show a lot of skin (the one time I wore an open back blouse my dad wouldn't let me out til I changed) both because my family look down on it and I don't feel comfortable being almost naked. I rarely wear low cut tops because of my big boobs; I don't like people staring at them.

I guess it's a matter of confidence. Maybe some of the girls out there scantily clad feel the NEED to have people looking (or more like staring) at them. Or they may think this is gonna make them more "attractive" to guys. Personally I don't see what's so great about being approached by men who are merely interested in your body.

Woman are just so clueless when it comes to looking decent now. It's awful, that women and girls can't dress themselves with taste and class. I'm too critical of people's clothing to get into it, but needless to say I can't even stand it when women have a wardrobe that is over 60% jeans. But this is coming from someone who would rather die than leave the house in anything other than kitten heels, diamonds, a skirt and a lovely top/jacket combo, so I'm pretty biased, lol.

i think most things (jeans to low cut tops to short skirts) can be sexy and classy if done right and the woman walks with confidence and has fun doing it. if they don't fit or she goes overboard with showing too much cleavage/skin, then it gets trashy. i'm also on the rule that if my cleavage is out, my legs are covered, etc. fit is definitely way important. also, dressing for one's body type.

if you can't wear a proper undergarment under it, and your girls don't sit up like they once did, you shouldn't wear it. if you have fear of falling out of it, don't wear it. if you sit down and you can feel your bare flesh against your chair, it's too short. if it rides up, it's too tight and trying to escape off of your body.

sometimes, the desire to be seen as sexy and young overrides our common sense. if we could all just stand back and look in the mirror with a little bit of objectivity before we leave the house, i think we could have both cleavage AND decorum.

OMG! Amanda you hit the nail on the head :P I love the "and your girls don't sit up like they once did, you shouldn't wear it." So so true :yes:

I think the problem is that people have no concept of what is appropriate for any occasion anymore. I hate seeing people in nice restaurants in jeans, and I don't understand why the restaurant even lets them in (OK, I DO understand profit).

I think it all begins with how parents teach their kids. When little girls are allowed to wear pants with sayings across the butt and short tops to school and boys are allowed to wear sweatpants and ripped t-shirts, they learn nothing about what is appropriate. Add to that fewer people even attend church, so there is no education going on to kids about how to dress for church or even IN a church for other occasions (weddings or funerals).

All girls and young women need a mirror and a mother who tells them, kindly, what they can and cannot wear, and who explains to them that while their friend might look great in one thing, they do NOT. And likewise, of course, they look great in things their best friend ought not wear. Style isn't about trend; it is about dressing to flatter what YOU have, not what trend dictates you ought to have!

[vogue];3168773 said:
There's a thin line between sexy and trashy. Seems to me that many have crossed that line.

^ ITA. also, whatever happened to classy and lady-like? in a thread in the celeb forum there is a pic of Elle MacPherson and she looks so cheap hooker it is shocking.

also, I agree that there is showing skin and there is flashing parts that are just too much to be elegant or necessary. and whoever thought that showing your thong is really sexy?

So true. I have a hard time finding a v-neck that isn't designed to show my cleavage. If guys walked around showing off their chest-hair I would think it was gross.

for me i already wear modest clothes outside the home as per my religion and the same for most ladies in my country. while in the home i can wear anything suitable ^_*

Regards

LOL Everything always seems to come back to culture!

There are some parts of the world where it is considered extremely inappropriate and unacceptable for ladies to expose even the lower part of the leg - or cover her bosom! :smile:

Someone else said that folks seem to have lost a sense of what looks good on their bodies and just dress to trends, no matter how bad it looks on them. I think that person is right... which would explain BS. Sad, sad, sad

I agree with this point. Many people are so concerned about the trend or the label that they don't look at what it does to their bodies.

Since the rules have relaxed a bit, I also think there is also a lot of confusion about what is appropriate where. For example sweats or skimpy things to work is a no no I see too often now.

This article reminds me a lot of something one of DH's friends said to him recently. He said that all the girls out there now are so slutty. While I understand many of people women want attention from men, I dont think they realize that it's the wrong type of attention and what the difference is yet. I admit I used to wear tight tops and short skirts when I was a teen but when every guy that took interest in me was only after one thing, I fiqured out that I need to put out different signals and changed my style of dress. It's still young and sexy, but it's also covered, put together and polished. I get a much different reaction from people now.

I think a lot of it is the idea that if you aren't sexy/attractive, then you won't be worth paying attention. And espeically now, being ignored is akin to social death.
IMHO, Young women dress this way because they've been taught that their sexuality is the best way to attract attention and praise, and (sadly) older women dress this way because they feel they must compete with their younger counterparts in the same way.

I'm all for celebrating the human form, and for the freedom to dress as one chooses, but I must agree -- thongs and backless dresses in church? Miniskirts at worK? There's a certain allure to an amount of modesty as well -- leaving something to the imagination. But I don't really think that we as a society are willing to invest the effort needed to have imagination anymore...

:shrug: