I bought the agenda, now I want to shoot myself

if selling is what you really what you want to do, then we'll all support you, but i'd say sit on it for at least 24 hours so you don't do something you might regret later. moms are good at the guilt trip, and sometimes it's for no other reason than they see that you're growing up and making your own decisions and you're not under their control anymore (my mom is my best friend in the world and she still does this occassionally - it's a hard transition for all of them). be patient with her, she's probably feeling like this, particularly since you're getting married and leaving the country soon. if you can afford the things you bought and you enjoy them, then keep them. if you can't and you don't really like having them, then sell them, but your mom's viewpoint is probably about much more than the agenda.

and if you decide to ebay, post the links in the marketplace so your stuff might end up in the loving home of a fellow purseblogger. that would at least be some comfort, right?

I'd sit on it and think about it too! but if you choose to sell it, you are doing it for the right reasons! i know of way too many girls who spend every last bit on a new bag only to have ten bucks in it! at least it seems like you've got a good head on your shoulders!

I'd wait at least 24 hours on selling the agenda and speedy. I think you might be reacting a little too quickly and out of hyper-guilt. Is it too late to return the agenda? I know in the US, you have 2 weeks to return to LV for a full refund... That's something to consider INSTEAD of selling, since you're less likely to get back the full amount you paid.

As for the Speedy... This is my opinion and I don't know if the other ladies in this forum agree with me or not.... So feel free to disagree, this is just my observation.

I'm still single, but I have quite a few married friends. I've noticed that most, if not all, of them have new spending habits now that they're married. They all work, bring in at least a decent income into their marriage, but they still feel like they need "permission" to buy stuff. Part of it is that they're mostly newly married with mortgages (maybe more than what they can or should have really gotten...). But I guess they don't feel like they have any freedom now. I think finances once you get married can be difficult--it's one of the big reasons why couples fight.

So... Would it be so terrible to keep the Speedy? It might be a good reminder NOT to splurge on things without first thinking. But it'll also let you have something nice while you wait until you and your hubby get settled and have more financial security. Don't sell it just b/c your mom is mad. That shouldn't be your only motivation.

I totally understand the guilt...I too think you should sleep on it before you make a big decision, and don't bother selling the agenda on ebay unless it's unavoidable - get your money back at LV.
And are you POSITIVE you want to sell the Speedy? you may not have a shot at a Louis Vuitton bag for a long time...

Oh, Swedie, take a day or two to think about it before you get rid of your agenda and Speedy. There will be plenty of opportunities in the future for you to scrimp (spelling???) and save, and while you're doing that you'll at least have one bag that you've splurged on and enjoy!

I think it's pretty, but if you have other bills and the money was given for that, I agree with your mom. Not a good purchase, BUT I think you should keep it. What's the point of resaling? You will not get a 100% of what you paid anyway. So, if you're "loosing money" either way, I say might as well have LV to show for it.

***hugs***

yeah i agree parents are pretty good at putting the guilt on!

i agree with what some people have said, totally sit on it for at least 24 hours!!! just because they've said something it doesn't mean its true!

i just hope you don't end up selling these 2 beautiful pieces - because when you look back you might feel regret and thats not cool at all!

good luck! :amuse:

If you got the agenda recently, you can still return it. You had that Speedy more than 14 days I think though. You might as well sit on that one at least for a while.

(((hugs))))

wickedassin said:
They all work, bring in at least a decent income into their marriage, but they still feel like they need "permission" to buy stuff. Part of it is that they're mostly newly married with mortgages (maybe more than what they can or should have really gotten...). But I guess they don't feel like they have any freedom now. I think finances once you get married can be difficult--it's one of the big reasons why couples fight.

I totally agree with Wickedassin...as a nearly married woman (see ticker below AHH!!) I'm already starting with the "permission" thing. I spent my money on my LV damier Ribera and still felt guilty when my Fi knew the price. It started a discussion for us to look at what each of us values, etc, but I'd say to enjoy it while you can, because it may be a while before you get the opportunity again!

I think the moment you feel guilty or uneasy, you should take approriate measures to erase that feeling. That could still mean you may keep it, or let it go. Either way, its no fun. I hope you resolve this issue.

Ladies, you are all amazing :love: I appreciate your support more than you know.
I have quite a bit of savings, and I have more money coming in. It's not like I'll starve from buying this agenda. What I do feel guilty about however, and the part where I do feel my mom has a point, is that they're really giving me a lot of money right now. They're paying for my wedding, they're buying me a car and are helping me with other things. So, when she sees me spending it on what she feels is "stupid stuff", she gets upset. I totally understand that, and I feel really spoiled right now. My parents didn't grow up having a lot of money, they worked extremely hard for their wealth. I have always been good about spending and I've been saving my money. However, it's hard not to spend it on things like this when the money IS THERE and I don't see it hurting my income much. I know there will be plenty of things my future husband and I will need soon, and money will be tight as we're planning on buying a super nice town home. We communicate well about money, he's extremely supportive and a wonderful wonderful man. He wants me to have nice things (even more than I think I should have!!) and he was horrified when I told him I would sell my speedy!! He said I should keep the agenda as well and ENJOY it, because it will be tighter for us later on.

However, I don't feel right towards my parents if I keep it. I feel like spoiled brat if I keep it. So I am going to try to sell it (even though it hurts, this agenda is so beautiful!!). If I don't get my reserve met, I will try again.. but if I can't get decent money for it, I am not going to sell it. Because that wouldn't be right to the agenda, I want her to have a good home :P and I don't want to lose money too much money on it if I can't keep it.

Thanks again, this place really made a world of difference to me these past 24 hours :P

Btw, I have my immigrant VISA now!! No more paperwork, they're sending it to me next week!! :biggrin: This was part of why I bought the agenda as well, to celebrate my last trip to the embassy :P

Wow that sucks, I guess its hard since she gave you the money, but the fact is that she gave it to you. It should really be up to you what you buy with it. Unless of course she specifically said that this money needs to go to a certain item. I'm in that boat as well, I'm a student without a real job basically at the mercy of my family money wise. I'll buy what I want, but if there is a conflict they usually win out...oh how wonderful it'll be when its all mine :lol:

Swedie said:
Btw, I have my immigrant VISA now!! No more paperwork, they're sending it to me next week!! :biggrin: This was part of why I bought the agenda as well, to celebrate my last trip to the embassy :P
Horray to immigrant visa approval for you! I am on my working visa right now and will probably get married to BF before my 3 year term is up. COngrats!