I bought a new machine!

Forget the baby serger I've been wanting, I want your machine now!

Wow!

Thx for posting.
If you can afford it, go for the good stuff! A good sewing machine or serger is an investment well worth researching and will give you many years of good service and returns...unlike a lot of things these days.

That's pretty cool. I took sewing classes back in high school and did okay, but didn't stay in the class long enough to learn how to make actual clothes. You did a really great job though. Wish I could learn to sew again.

I took a class in school, back in the day they made girls take Home Ec. Didn't do too well in it, either. But, sewing captured my imagination and later taught myself how to sew when Dad bought Mum a brand-new top of the line (at the time) sewing machine and she never even took it out of the box. I asked if I could set it up and use it. After several months of saying "no" Mum finally said "yes". I think Dad had some input. The machine cost several hundred dollars and wasn't being used. My first garment was a 50's replica poodle skirt for a part in a play. Then came some tops, shirts, dresses, pillows...the list is endless. There are even two quilts in my portfolio and the possibility of more.

WOW! That looks great. Congratulations on your new machine. You must be so excited to start some projects.

I had a unexplainable desire to sew when I was pregnant. I decided I was going to make curtains for my baby-to-be's room. I took me like 6 weeks! I thought they looked great, but my MIL still cringes when she sees them. lol

I tried:shrugs:

Wow! Sounds like a handy machine. I don't know how to sew (just basic handmade stuff like buttons and some hems, etc) but I'm sure my aunt would love it! She used to make clothes for my cousins when we were little, and sometimes I'd get some too! Congrats and enjoy!

I have no idea how to sew!! My son was going to honored today with a gift during mass for passing to 1st grade. I bought him a new pair of pants and when we got home (yesterday) they were a bit too long. Of course I didn't have time to take it to a tailor so I bought some material tape to re-hem it?:shrugs: I ironed the new hem?:shrugs: and ta-da!:nuts: I felt bad that I could hem my son's pants:Push: but oh well! It was too short a notice! I admire your ability to sew!:yes:

One of the best things about knowing how to sew is also one if it's biggest drawbacks. It's great to be able to repair and alter clothing for oneself, but friends and others also think you're willing to drop whatever to do their stuff. And, for free! But, usually it's only the ones who do not appreciate what a skill and talent it is to sew that are not willing to pay for my time and skill. After all, it's just some simple sewing. If it was so simple, why are they not doing it?
Admittedly, I do give my close friends a discount, but I still do not alter or repair their clothes for free. Most are happy with that arrangement.

I love how the sewing machines and sergers are made to last a long time! Granted, it's nice to look at and possibly buy the greatest and the latest, but my sewing machine I bought 8 or 9 years ago does just as good a job now as when I first bought it. A couple of repairs and the usual maintenence and my machines run like new. And, I don't have to buy the "newest" thing whenever it comes out. I cannot afford to, anyway.