I bought a fake stam from a store....WHAT DO I DO?

I'm so upset right now!

I went to a local consignment store and bought a Stam there earlier today. I paid in cash and the cashier didn't hand me a receipt. I've purchased from them before and can't recall getting a receipt of any sort. I still have a price tag attached with only the price on it.
I had it authenticated and it's FAKE.

I called them and they said all sales are final.

I'm thinking of going back tomorrow or Sunday to ask for my money back. I think I can threaten to call the BBB HOWEVER I do not have a receipt to prove that I purchased it. I'm stuck...I don't know what to do. This CAN'T be legal...

is the price tag from their specific store?
i would talk to them tomorrow and let them know that it's a fake and you'd like your money back since you thought you were purchasing an authentic stam.

i can see how not having the receipt would pose a problem though...

my guess is that they didn't know (and/or didn't care) that the bag was fake. :sad:

good luck, i hope others have better advice :heart:

i bought a fake stam from my consignment store recently too
i was little suspicious on the authenticity but the casher/store worker reassure me it is authentic and if not she will refund me.
i did get a receipt and i returned it after authenticated on purse forum confirmed it was fake.
i'm sorry that you didn't get a receipt hope the threaten part will work and they get scare and refund your money.
i found that no matter how "trusthworthy" the consignment/store is, there are possiblility that they do not aware the item is fake, it's best to know how to authenticate ourself for each particular brand or try to take pictures and have it authenticate here.
hoping things will work out for you.

^ dyyong is absolutely right. Unless it's a boutique or a department store (fakes have only been sold in these stores as mistakes and have been incredibly rare), there's no guarantee it's authentic - especially if it's a consignment store where the people have no expertise. I think the other tPFers dispensed some great advice. Go back there and DEMAND your money back!

i bought quite few bags from the same consignment store before, i was lucky that those were the brands i was able to authenticate myself and didn't had any problem until i saw one particular bag.
i was shocked and open my big mouth (i was the only customer) told the store keeper it was fake, but they assure me it is authentic because the original owner have the "receipt"!!!
and since i am very new in MJ do not know how to authenticate yet, I was lucky again i got lots of help from lovely MJ girls.
do threaten the store, I wouldn't surprise if authority come there will be more than one fake bag in the store

thanks a lot for all of your advice! i'm feeling a little more relieved. hey, maybe we go to the same consignment store -- there's a few well-known ones here in NY!
i have a gut feeling that the workers there did not know it was fake and unintentionally sold it. i'm sure they'll believe me that i purchased it. tag is still attached so that's my only proof of purchase. i have a good feeling about this. i think my chances of getting my $ back are high. i just hope i play my cards right!
next time i'll definitely ask for a receipt + ask the workers if refunds are availabe in the event it is counterfeit.

i'll keep you all updated!
thanks again!

I am so, SO sorry this happened!!! Ugh! My heart just sank when I read your story! They should have given you a receipt, and although it would have been a good idea to ask for one when they didn't, it was up to them as an honest and responsible merchant to give you one. What kind of business doesn't give receipts? You may want to go back there and put up a huge stink and say that you fully believed and trusted that they, as the good business people that they are, put the receipt in the bag, and you were surprised when you got home that you could not find one!

Now back to my rhetorical question: What kind of business doesn't give receipts? Now, unless this was a random act of inadvertent spaciness, which I am doubting, because you said they have omitted receipts on other occasions, I am thinking that they are trying to run a cash basis business....... This would be a BIG NO-NO, and they can get into all sorts of trouble if they are not properly recording and reporting their sales! I don't know what state you are in, but I cannot imagine that these kinds of shennanigans are legal there! Very, very shoddy!!

Anyway, just some food for thought...... I really do hope that you are able to convince them that refunding your money is the right thing to do!! I know we are all crossing our fingers for you!!! :hugs:

also, technically selling a counterfeit bag is against the law and they could have their items seized by the authorities, if one chose to take it to that level. so they should give you a prompt refund, or else they are breaking the law...

also, technically selling a counterfeit bag is against the law and they could have their items seized by the authorities, if one chose to take it to that level. so they should give you a prompt refund, or else they are breaking the law...

Ditto.

Fight to get your money back. They probably didn't know it was fake, and even if they knew, I wouldn't approach them that way kuz you're more likely to get your money back being diplomatic than by being confrontational. IF they blow you off, then I would use my claws...

i was very apprehensive before going into the store but i knew i had to get it over with! the store had a few customers, all within hearing distance. i went to the counter immediately, placed a shopping bag holding the "stam" on the counter and asked the cashier "may i have a refund?" and due to a language barrier she put my shopping bag on the floor. then she looked at me because i was still there and she was like, "oh! refund? sorry, all sales final." i said "yes i know, but there's a problem". meanwhile i was trying to keep my voice down..i didn't want to make a scene and let other customers know they sold me a fake. i pulled out my 5-page ebay MJ authenticity guide and pointed out the photos of the tell-tale signs. she compared the photos to the bag and decided to call up the manager. she asked if i had a receipt and i told her no but i bought it on friday around noon. she nodded and hung up. she then asked me if i paid in cash and i said yes and she proceeded to calculate the amount on a calculator and handed me my refunded amount. i told her thank you and sorry for any inconveniences (even though it wasn't my fault but i thought it would be polite) and then i left.

i'm SO relieved and glad that that was solved peacefully! this was really stressing me out lol!

thanks for all of your advice ladies! i really appreciate it! :heart:

Personally, I would have made sure the other customers knew that the store sells fakes - I'm sure there are a lot of other people who are unaware of tPF who have bought inauthentic items from them before! But good for you for getting your refund!

im glad you got it worked out. did the bag cost a lot? here's where i would have made a decision to let other customers know or not. if they are selling the bags for the amount a used stam (when authentic) should sell for, there's a serious problem that needs to be addressed. if they are charging like $100 or under, then it's more reasonable to assume they know what they have and are aware they are selling fakes...either way, i would speak to the manager as they need to be aware what they're taking in on consignment, with what liabilities and deal with the consequences of engaging in the sale of replicas, if that's what's going on.... that's just my two cents though...i am so happy you got a refund! but i worry about all the other unsuspecting buyers who dnt know about PF...