I Am Virgin And In Need Of Advice Please

*Sai*

May 28, 2010
Hello Chanel Lovers

Ok I am so totally new to chanel and after being a dedicated LV and Balenciaga bag fan, I have now developed a love and obsession for all things CHANEL!!!

My 25TH Birthday is in January and my DH has promised me that I can choose any CHANEL bag I want as a gift.

Now after extensive research I have decided that I love the Jumbo flap (and having seen my friend's one IRL I love the size but she owns the lambskin one). I do not own any black bags at present so want it in black. Now here comes the dilema do I choose the patent or caviar bag? Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of both. I do not want lambskin and I own balenciaga bags and feel I have to baby them (whereas I want a bag that I do not need to baby as much)

Thanks In Advance (and I am so excited)

caviar, unless you're a diehard patent leather fan.

(1) caviar is just much more classic, and for your first chanel, something i was agonizing over a few weeks ago myself, you want to go classic.
(2) in case you ever want to consign or sell the bag off for whatever reason, patent leather chanel bags do not sell as quickly or for as high a price from what i have seen.

I just became "addicted" to Chanel a couple of years ago and at first, all of my Chanel purchases were patent and lamb....I didn't understand the great love of caviar on tpf. But now, after getting a few caviar...I get it!! It definitely "grew" on me. So, I say caviar for sure!!

Caviar is very low maintenance compared to lambskin. I don't own anything in patent, so I'm not a great judge on that. But, I do have a black caviar m/l flap and a silver lamb woc. The black caviar flap is almost two now and I have taken it around the world with me. It still looks brand new. The lambskin woc is gorgeous, but I definitely baby it. So my vote is for caviar!

Good luck with your decision! Happy Early Birthday! :smile:

Patent is also low maintanence especially in a dark colour like black. If you want low maintenance then caviar or patent would be a great choice. The thing you have to consider is the shine/glossy factor. Patent is definitely more noticeable/flashy than caviar.

Have you tried both bags?

TBH I have only tried the caviar but then as usual I come on TPF and see other TPFers patent flaps and then I fall in love with them too hahaha....

See I want something I can take out when I go out with the DH to restaurants, bars etc. I dont want to have to worry about it getting damaged. Also for the price it is I want it to last... as it is my first chanel I have very limited knowledge, and I also have a feeling this first will not be my last. Thank you all so much for your help

Caviar is very low maintenance compared to lambskin. I don't own anything in patent, so I'm not a great judge on that. But, I do have a black caviar m/l flap and a silver lamb woc. The black caviar flap is almost two now and I have taken it around the world with me. It still looks brand new. The lambskin woc is gorgeous, but I definitely baby it. So my vote is for caviar!

Good luck with your decision! Happy Early Birthday! :smile:

Lol thanks

hm, like i stated before, i am still a champion for caviar, but the nice thing about patent leather is it is more rain resistant than caviar. others please chime in if i am incorrect?

but overall as i think patent leather is more for evening, caviar will be the most flexible. you can take it out on the town with your husband but also use it in the day. it is always appropriate for any occassion, whether dressed up or down.

i do think the patent leather flaps look great, but personally i prefer patent leather in small doses, ie on a WOC or even the new summer flap everyone is all excited about it. for me, it's a little flashy, and in a jumbo it might be overwhelming (no offense to anyone out there with a patent leather jumbo, just my opinion). so if i were you, i would get a caviar jumbo for now and then get something smaller in patent leather later, especially if budget is a consideration.

have you considered any of the reissues? still very classic chanel, and since some of them come in calfskin to my knowledge (again, anyone feel free to correct me if i'm wrong), very durable. a lot of tpfers seem to use them for both day and night. personally, i would prefer that look for day, but i could see how they could look fabulous for evening affairs as well, especially in a smaller size. esp if you like balenciaga, you might like the reissue as it is more rocker-esque. but then again you might want something very different since you already have the rocker bag thing going on, so i dunno...so many choices! :smile:

i do think the patent leather flaps look great, but personally i prefer patent leather in small doses, ie on a WOC or even the new summer flap everyone is all excited about it. for me, it's a little flashy, and in a jumbo it might be overwhelming (no offense to anyone out there with a patent leather jumbo, just my opinion). so if i were you, i would get a caviar jumbo for now and then get something smaller in patent leather later, especially if budget is a consideration.

I agree. If you can, do try on the patent jumbo to see if it is you.

Hi Sai, I remember you from the LV forum! I purchased several LV's and a Prada in the past few months, but now I'm obsessed with Chanel now as well! I recently purchased a black patent WOC and LOVE is so much and its low maintenance. I pretty much agree with miabeewee about liking patent in small doses. If I were going to get a jumbo flap I'd get the caviar because its so classic, durable, and you can't go wrong. Although....if I could have many Chanel bags I'd get a jumbo patent too! Your DH is so sweet to get you any Chanel you want for your B-day, he sounds like my BF : )

Last edited:
Well Sai, I am little biased because I only have lambskin and patent and love them both. It really depends on what you will use it for. Like some of the other ladies say, if its an everyday bag maybe not the patent, although I say why the hell not. The main thing is that you love it. I have no trouble with my lambskin and dont particularly baby mine either. As I myself take advice from the ladies on TPF and hear many times, I'd say go with what makes your heart sing. If its more a spesh occasion bag to take out to dinner with DH etc. then patent might be your best option. Good luck and let us know what you go with. :P

Thank you all for your wonderful help and feedback....

I think as it is my first chanel I do want something classic and versatile so I will most likely decide on the caviar black jumbo bag. After reading your advice I think if I were to choose a patent bag it would be best to choose a smaller bag as oppose to the flap.. Unfortunately I have to now wait until January to do a reveal and get my first chanel...

Oh well I guess in the meantime I will continue to lurk around the chanel forum :smile:

The patent is gorgeous but is a lot of "shine." The caviar (which I have) is very classic and more understated than the patent. Caviar can take a beating (to a certain extent).
You can't go wrong with either and both are fine in the rain. I would go to a boutique and see which one makes your heart sing. Happy Early Birthday to YOU!