I am SO sick of clothes like this

IrisCole

O.G.
Dec 28, 2007
My brother's girlfriend's birthday is this week, so while I was out shopping for her, I figured I'd look for me too :angel:

When I was clothes shopping, I cannot tell you how many garments I came across that are such an annoying length - they're too long to be a decent looking shirt, but way too short to be a dress. And they all hit at the most unflattering part of the thigh.

I like a cute tunic top, but why is so much cut like this now?
Just let us have our dresses and shirts...separately :lecture:

Haha I know exactly what you are talking about - my friends and I have the "not-a-dress!" argument all the time. Over the last season it's been all the rage amongst people we know to go out wearing a too-long-as-as-shirt-too-short-for-a-dress top paired with leggings or just heels.

Even though most of the people we know doing this more or less have bodies to pull it off, I still think it looks super tacky. I don't like the idea of passing off a shirt as a dress, and you're also totally right - as a shirt, they're just too long to be flattering.

Had to laugh when I saw this because I thought maybe it was just me!!! I'm 5'2" & 115, but tunics hit me at my widest point & make me look shorter & 10 pounds heavier! I never know if something is a mini dress or a tunic! If a top has no shape, it's just not going to work for me. Too bad most of the stuff out there doesn't have shape....

it hides a lot of people's tummies though. i think they look cute with jeans imo. i dont like short shirts at all. esp with all the low rise jeans these days, i don't want to see any cracks.

There has to be a happy medium between short shirts and tunics, though! And it is a myth that longer shirts hide a tummy. If they have an empire or babydoll waist they often make people look pregnant, and if they are cut less generously they accentuate a tummy that is less than flat. Overall, I am not fond of the look at all.

lol I know what you're talking about but these actually really work on me. Granted, I kind kind of skinny legs so that may be why it looks flatter on my legs. I pair it with leggings or something. I feel kind of young but it is really comfortable. I am really harsh on myself but I've found some that really aren't bad. Now actually taking the time to find them was a PITA.

My rule of thumb is, you have to be able to see 2/3 of my back pockets on my jeans, at least. My hip area is the most curvaceous on my body, and so I

a) don't want to hide that under a shirt.
b) know that covering it up with a shirt just makes it look bigger and is more unflattering.
c) want to show off the cute back pockets of my jeans :P hahahhaha!!!!

my roommate and i like to play the "is this a shirt, or is this a dress?" game.

i only have one shirt that could REALLY go either way, but since a lot of the material is spent trying to cover my boobies, it can't be a dress on me. empire waists really work for me, though, so i'll continue to purchase them.

LOL! That ALWAYS happens to me at stores. I pick up something, stare at it for about 30 seconds, then ask an associate if it's a shirt or a dress. They usually just giggle and say how they would wear it.

Luckily I'm so short that I can usually wear those long tops as dresses. On taller girls though that try to wear shirts as dresses, I've noticed when they walk you can almost see the bottom of their butts. It can get pretty tricky.

i'm so sick of seeing ppl wearing leggings or tights everday... its like they don't even have any jeans or other types or pants but leggings. cause of so many of these shirts... u can't wear it along as a dress and its too long to be a shirt like u said so everyone wears leggings under it.