Home & Garden I am making a closet room.

gillianna

O.G.
Dec 27, 2005
:smile: I can't believe I am doing this....... I wanted to turn our small guest room into a exercise room. After my friend left from her stay with us I was in the guest room and thought it really is a cozy room. It does not face the street and has a pretty view of the side yard and is very quiet. Part of the ceiling slopes down. So I though why not make it into a closet sitting room for me? I will leave my pilates machine and exercise bike in my bedroom for now (eventually get them into the basement).
My plans for the closet/sitting room is to paint the walls a stunning shade of deep pink (have it on my ceiling in the dining room and love it). The ceilings will be white. I will move my 6 IKEA small closet wardrobes in there (until I can switch them out with the big ones PAX design that are in the basement). I can put my vanity by the window and have a chaise lounge to put on the back sloping wall. I will do it up in shabby chic design. I think it will give me a very comfortable place to hang out and read a book along with getting dressed. All my stuff will be orgaznized. Right now the IKEA units are in my bedroom and I don't love the look. Hubby took control of the very huge walk in closet (not that I could ever share a closet with his mess).
I am very excited to have a special room of my own that I can make pretty. I can't pink up the bedroom and put shabby chic things all over it-hubby would die.
So hopefully after I do my tax paperwork for our business this week I can start painting the room. I will take before and after pictures. I am stressed out so this project will give me something to do that will end up in a place to relax.

That sounds *wonderful* Gilliana, and I look forward to seeing pictures! :biggrin: One thing I discovered when decking out my sewing room and little home office is that the ceiling lights are what made the rooms truly my place. Hung a shabby chic chandelier in the sewing room and a ceiling fan with faux antique globes in my office. They weren't expensive pieces, in fact they were very cheap. But they seemed to make the rooms truly mine, and different in personality from anyplace where my DH would hang out.

Good luck! The pink sounds divine! (I painted all the furniture in my sewing room pink.) Looking forward to the pics!

That sounds great!! I just purchased 1 pax unit to see how I like it and I'm considering building it in my bedroom. Do you have pictures of it in your bedroom? I have a spare room but I want to keep it a guest room otherwise I would love to make a closet room. Good luck on your project!

I can't wait to see pictures, it sounds like it will be fab.

I have two spare bedrooms and I really should turn one into a closet/sitting room. I just have so much stuff in both of them that even starting seems very daunting.

^ Same here, although I only have one spare room. Our home is a very old farmhouse that had running water, electrical and forced-air heating added long after the home was built, so the spare room never had a heat vent. Of course, leaving the door open allows it to maintain a fairly normal temperature, but we have used it for storage.

I've started to clean it out, but it is a daunting task. I love threads like this one and other closet inspiration threads because they give me the incentive to keep going. Our spare room is fairly small, so it won't be nearly as grand as some others, but it will allow my DD and I to have a place to keep pretty things and a vanity in a house that otherwise has small closets and limited bathroom space!

I am trying to clean the room out today and hopefully will paint the ceiling tomorrow. I might do a perwinkle blue paint instead of pink. I had my son's nursery painted perwinkle blue and I really loved the color. I have beautiful drapes and Laura Ashley fabrics in this color so I might switch the chaise out for a daybed. I do want this room to be a sitting room and place to read and relax. I am not worried about closet and clothes storage since I have really tried to unclutter my life. I only have the 4 small Ikea wardrobes but do have the larger Pax ones in my basement with all the great inside fixtures--so I need to figure how to get them up to this room eventually. I have 2 white small Ikea wardrobes where the two pieces are really only as big as the other wardrobes. They have shelves and I put a lot of misc. things in them such as beauty supplies and books.
I think I will take the doors off the closet that is already inside this room and paint the inside walls to match the wall color and maybe do something unique for storage in it. I had open bookcases in a closet in my daughter's room when she was a baby. It helped unclutter her room. She had Ikea wardrobes for her clothes. I guess my mind is think of all the things I could do and I just need to figure it all out. I find there is really no reason to have the guest room sitting empty for one guest a year.

I am envious. My hubby has already claimed his son's bedroom as his future man cave. We have another spare bedroom, but my mom always stays in there when she is with us. Oh well.

It's almost done. I still have to paint the trim on the closet door and thought of wood floors but the rugs I put over the carpet look cute. I need to spray paint my frames for my pictures since I decided to do black frames and have silver ones now. The major drawback is my vanity in there. I am trying to decide if I will keep it of get a desk with side drawers to use as a vanity this way I can put all my beauty/nail products in there. I kind of let the closet room go a bit while I started working on other projects and then I threw my back out again lifting up heavy pots in the yard--so I can't bend right now.

My daughter is happy with the closet room. I ended up giving her the IKEa closets and I took the regular closet which is working well for my stuff. I would LOVE to get my HUGE Ikea closet units from the basement and put them in this room and take out the small ones that are there. The IKEA ones in the basement are the PAX unit and have all the great interior shelves, drawers, shoe things. They just have to be moved up two flights of stairs and the one flight in basement has a pole in front of it so I doubt it can be done from the inside stairs. The movers took them in the basement from the side basement door and there is no way they could ever go back out that way due to all the stuff blocking the room the door is in.

I think the best thing about making the closet room was getting rid of anything we did not need or use. It really made a difference to let go of stuff I was hanging on to. Also it's nice to have a private closet room that is just for my daughter and I. We joke that we should have a huge spa bathroom attached to it....

The design has changed to a more clean edge and not shabby chic. The chaise lounge did not fit in well so it is in my bedroom and working great there. The walls are off white in a color called calm and the art work will be of fashion prints. After I painted the walls I decided to paint the ceiling white and it opens the room up. I might eventually paint the ceiling that pink color I love but the paint store went out of business so I will have to travel two towns over to buy the same color paint.

It's almost done. I still have to paint the trim on the closet door and thought of wood floors but the rugs I put over the carpet look cute. I need to spray paint my frames for my pictures since I decided to do black frames and have silver ones now. The major drawback is my vanity in there. I am trying to decide if I will keep it of get a desk with side drawers to use as a vanity this way I can put all my beauty/nail products in there. I kind of let the closet room go a bit while I started working on other projects and then I threw my back out again lifting up heavy pots in the yard--so I can't bend right now.

My daughter is happy with the closet room. I ended up giving her the IKEa closets and I took the regular closet which is working well for my stuff. I would LOVE to get my HUGE Ikea closet units from the basement and put them in this room and take out the small ones that are there. The IKEA ones in the basement are the PAX unit and have all the great interior shelves, drawers, shoe things. They just have to be moved up two flights of stairs and the one flight in basement has a pole in front of it so I doubt it can be done from the inside stairs. The movers took them in the basement from the side basement door and there is no way they could ever go back out that way due to all the stuff blocking the room the door is in.

I think the best thing about making the closet room was getting rid of anything we did not need or use. It really made a difference to let go of stuff I was hanging on to. Also it's nice to have a private closet room that is just for my daughter and I. We joke that we should have a huge spa bathroom attached to it....

The design has changed to a more clean edge and not shabby chic. The chaise lounge did not fit in well so it is in my bedroom and working great there. The walls are off white in a color called calm and the art work will be of fashion prints. After I painted the walls I decided to paint the ceiling white and it opens the room up. I might eventually paint the ceiling that pink color I love but the paint store went out of business so I will have to travel two towns over to buy the same color paint.
Any pics of you progress yet? I am turning my office into a closet very soon...

After putting all the Ikea stuff in and reorganizing the room at least three times over I got sick of having to go to the end of the long hall every time I wanted something from my closets. So I moved the Ikea units back in my bedroom, kept the in wall closet and dresser there for my daughter and turned the room into a exercise room. It has my bike, Pilates machine and solar flex in there. I will probably eventually move the exercise stuff in the basement and then perhaps make this room into a reading nook for my daughter. It is crazy how plans change. The idea was great but it just didn't work out the way I hoped it would. Perhaps if the room was right next door to my bedroom it would have been working better.