I am Maid of Honor-- What do I do?

may3545

Happy living
O.G.
Mar 15, 2006
California
www.instagram.com
My best friend just got engaged and I get to be Maid of Honor~!!! However, this is one of my first weddings to be involved in, and my friend is also one of the first of our friends to get married, which should be in August 2009. We are both Chinese and she is planning to have a fabulous traditional yet classy wedding in Southern California.

Here is my question: WHAT DO I DO? I've never been in a wedding except a flower girl when I was 5. I know it's going to be a lot of commitment, but we will have a blast for sure!

What are good books/websites/resources so I know what I'm supposed to be responsible for? What has your experience been like? Anything, ANYTHING would be helpful.

Thanks in advance!:yahoo:

jsenning

O.G.
Jul 3, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I just got married two months ago. My maid of honor helped my mom plan the bridal shower, planned the bachelorette party, and helped me make decisions along the way. Oh, and she also calmed my nerves down A LOT the day before the wedding. :smile: The best thing you can do is emotionally support her, like you have been!

theknot.com was my main wedding resource. HTH!

DiorDeVille

Apr 27, 2006
U.S.
Was maid of honor for my best friend a couple years ago. Basically, you just do what she needs you to do - just ask. :smile: And yeah, you can google "maid of honor" to get the traditional list of what you're responsible for - but that might vary from what your friend needs, so while it's good to know, asking is always best! In my experience, that's probably going to entail being there to help pick out wedding party dresses, set up fittings, just a lot of administrative detail. Hope it works out well! And congrats to your friend!

illinirdhd

O.G.
Dec 14, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
Ask your friend what to do! I was a pretty low maintenance bride - let my MOH choose her own dress (gave her 2 color choices), shoes, etc. All I really wanted her to do was show up and stand beside me! She helped with flowers, etc., the weekend of the wedding, but that was really all I wanted!

Other brides want a bachelorette party, showers, etc.

Just ask her - she'll tell you!

ahertz

O.G.
Jul 16, 2007
Santa Monica
My maid of honor picked out the wedding cake and planned the bachelorette party, but I've known MOH that have done a lot more or a lot less. As other girls said before, the bride should guide you on this one.