I am falling back in LoVe with BIG bags

KimTX

O.G.
Mar 19, 2013
I'm starting to get excited about my bigger bags and even buying pre-loved big bags that aren't in style, so they are priced nicely. I just bought a 2009 Mahina XL in excellent condition for $1,280 on Yoogi's, and it was marked as around $5,000 retail. It's a huge and gorgeous bag! I had fun reading the old Mahina Clubhouse where they gushed over the beauty of the bag. I also just bought a Noe (original size, so BIG!) from the LV website and it will come next week. I've been trying to purchase that bag for about 18 months but it's never in the boutiques and I just caught it online. Back in Feb I bought the Watercolore Speedy 35 on Fashionphile for $1,595-since it's big, it's less desirable than the 30.. I've seen the 30's for $4,000 on the pre-owned market. I've been hunting that bag on and off for many years. I'm beyond thrilled with it.

I have 4 small to medium LV/Chanel bags, so I'm all set for that size and function. Now, I want to have more BIG bags for fun and to change my look. One thing about turning 50 that has been great is that I truly don't care about trends in the same way. I notice trends, but care WAY less about them, and don't mind going off trend if it makes me happy.

What about you? Do you hate big bigs, love them, somewhere in the middle? For clarification, I'm not talking about a big bag for work or travel. I mean to carry to a lunch date or a day shopping, etc. To carry it for the style of it, not necessarily b/c you need to carry a ton of stuff.

I detest small/mini/micro bags for me.........there is no way. Before covid I always carried a full size wallet, cosmetic bag, eyeglasses, sunnies, phone and keys minimum. Now, I leave the cosmetic bag out but everything else has to stay.
The ideal size for me is a 9x13 bag with long detachable strap. Could go up to 15" wide but not over that. Anything smaller and I find myself having to take everything out and re-cramming it back in whenever I take one thing out.
I have yet to find a bag that would work crossbody on me. Kudos to those who can rock them, but they are a complete fail for me

Even though I am petite, I carry too much “junk” in my purse to use a small bag (except for an occasional sporting/concert event). I like the look of small bags like the Alma BB, Pochette Metis, Boite CS MM, etc but I can never use them on a daily basis (I have put my things in them at the store before so I know). The smallest I can go -- the South Bank Besace and my Reissue 227 but not exactly ideal for more than the weekend. Last year, I bought a like-new Mahina L from YC too (so pretty and pristine, the leather side tabs are perfect and not curled at all :lol:). Is the XL really huge?

Even though I am petite, I carry too much “junk” in my purse to use a small bag (except for an occasional sporting/concert event). I like the look of small bags like the Alma BB, Pochette Metis, Boite CS MM, etc but I can never use them on a daily basis (I have put my things in them at the store before so I know). The smallest I can go -- the South Bank Besace and my Reissue 227 but not exactly ideal for more than the weekend. Last year, I bought a like-new Mahina L from YC too (so pretty and pristine, the leather side tabs are perfect and not curled at all :lol:). Is the XL really huge?
I will let you know when it arrives. From everything I've seen in pictures, I think it's possible Yoogi's misnamed the bag and it's an L. It's hard to find measurements since the bag was discontinued years and years ago to compare, but it looks too small to be the XL in pictures. I remember seeing that bag on two different women back in the mid-2000's. I was so in love with it, but it was out of my price range back then. Who am I kidding-I don't spend $5,000 on a single bag even now. ;)

I detest small/mini/micro bags for me.........there is no way. Before covid I always carried a full size wallet, cosmetic bag, eyeglasses, sunnies, phone and keys minimum. Now, I leave the cosmetic bag out but everything else has to stay.
The ideal size for me is a 9x13 bag with long detachable strap. Could go up to 15" wide but not over that. Anything smaller and I find myself having to take everything out and re-cramming it back in whenever I take one thing out.
I have yet to find a bag that would work crossbody on me. Kudos to those who can rock them, but they are a complete fail for me
I miss my full size wallets, but I would not be able to fill them up anymore. I rarely use cash, I almost never need store loyalty cards, and usually use my iPhone's wallet app feature. Maybe I'll get one anyway just because they are beautiful. And I bet I can get a good deal b/c no one wants full size wallets anymore!

I would say I’m the exact opposite, actually:giggle:I’m only using big bags for travel and work, and have loved medium/small sized crossbody bags for most other occasions as they’re convenient for being hands free and can pack all essentials + a bit more.

But this has changed since last year, now I’m leaning more and more towards even smaller clutches as they’re really easy for «grab and go» and it’s not so many items to transfer when switching between different bags :P

So this is a great experience which tell me to never sell any bags without long and thorough consideration first, as my preference obviously changes with time and I’m most likely returning to other types and sizes later :smile:

Reactions: KimTX
I would say I’m the exact opposite, actually:giggle:I’m only using big bags for travel and work, and have loved medium/small sized crossbody bags for most other occasions as they’re convenient for being hands free and can pack all essentials + a bit more.

But this has changed since last year, now I’m leaning more and more towards even smaller clutches as they’re really easy for «grab and go» and it’s not so many items to transfer when switching between different bags :P

So this is a great experience which tell me to never sell any bags without long and thorough consideration first, as my preference obviously changes with time and I’m most likely returning to other types and sizes later :smile:

I've never been one to like clutches, but there is one style from LV that I liked years and years ago and now see it for fairly inexpensive on the pre-loved market. Pre-Covid, my hubby and I used to like sitting at restaurant bars for dinner, and I always used my Chanel WOC. But I might seek out this older clutch. I think what I'm going through is not liking JUST small bags, but loving all sizes and feeling good about carrying a big bag even when they aren't on trend. I for sure wouldn't be plopping up a Mahina XL on a bar! lol! Can you imagine?:biggrin:

I will let you know when it arrives. From everything I've seen in pictures, I think it's possible Yoogi's misnamed the bag and it's an L. It's hard to find measurements since the bag was discontinued years and years ago to compare, but it looks too small to be the XL in pictures. I remember seeing that bag on two different women back in the mid-2000's. I was so in love with it, but it was out of my price range back then. Who am I kidding-I don't spend $5,000 on a single bag even now. ;)

Both the XL and the XXL were ridiculously huge.
https://www.purseblog.com/louis-vuitton/louis-vuitton-mahina/

Reactions: KimTX
I love big bags and I cannot lie!

My first premier designer bags were the XL GST and the Neverfull GM. Since then, I've collected so many totes and "shopping bag" (fancy word for tote?) styles. It's only in the last couple of years that I've started downsizing the size of my bags (a 226 and a jumbo are considered downsizing for me, lol) but as a worker with paperwork and a laptop and all those accoutrements, nothing small will ever become my "daily" bag. I've managed to make a zippy coin holder my daily wallet but I still miss my long wallet where I didn't have to crumple receipts and bills into them.