i am a completely new to ebay and need some advise. ro

isn't the lowest price the reserve price? sorry, i'm not really sure what the difference is.

No, some people put their bags at like, 0.99, and then have a hidden reserve price of $100, for example. The auction shows 0.99, but the bidder doesn't win until they hit $100. Until then, the auction will just show "reserve price not met."

Me, along with a lot of other Ebayers, will NOT bid on a reserve auction like the one above. I do not want to "guess" what their reserve price is and hope someone else bids up to it. I don't have that patience. So if you do something like that, you'll get a lot of views because people will think "Wow! A Chanel purse for a penny!" But many will just assume your reserve is too high and not bother looking at the auction again.

I would advise, if you cannot sell your purse for less than $100, put your starting price at $100. You'll pay a little more in listing fees, but you'll gain customers like me who at least know where they can start from.

BUT...if you get into the MP, it doesn't matter!! That's definitely the first place to start! :smile:

why do i have to pay more in the listing fee if i start my price at $100?
i'm actually not willing to sell it unless i get what i paid for it, which is $1475. but i'm not charging them taxes, and the shipping fee will be very minimal, so i'm hoping someone will buy it off of me. or do you ladies think i'm completely out of my mind thinking i'm going to sell it for what i paid for?
the bag is completely new, it hasn't been used at all, still has the tissue and stuff on it. so i really don't want to sell it for any less than what i paid for, i don't care as much on making money on it, just want to get what i paid for back

If you do decide to go ahead on Ebay - and I agree this may not be easy due to your lack of an Ebay history - you might consider tackling the concerns potential buyers are likely to have head on in your listing e.g. explain why this is your first item, that you understand people may be wary, you'd welcome enquries, questions, will provide extra photos etc. Of course, only say this if you can and will do all those reassuring things! May be worth considering an application to MP though.

OMG! 25-40% that's insane...i think i'd rather risk loosing the listing fee and try it myself...it is brand new, i haven't even worn it, it'd hurt to give away 25-40%...ouch!

anyhow, what's the most an auction can cost me?

If you sell the bag on eBay then you will incur listing fees - most like $5.15 on this bag, plus 3% final value fees. If you accept payment via PayPal then an additional 3% in PayPal fees. So potentially 7-8% of the final value of the auction in selling fees. Additionally, it will take your personal time to take pictures, do the listing, and at the end of the auction package the bag and go to the post office to ship the bag. All of the running around amounts to time and money spent that you could have been spending doing something else. So there's a monetary value to the time you spend listing, managing, and shipping your item.

If you sell the bag on eBay then you will incur listing fees - most like $5.15 on this bag, plus 3% final value fees. If you accept payment via PayPal then an additional 3% in PayPal fees. So potentially 7-8% of the final value of the auction in selling fees. Additionally, it will take your personal time to take pictures, do the listing, and at the end of the auction package the bag and go to the post office to ship the bag. All of the running around amounts to time and money spent that you could have been spending doing something else. So there's a monetary value to the time you spend listing, managing, and shipping your item.

thanks smooth, boy, it's really alot more complex than i expected...my friend told me about the 3% paypal fee, but i didn't know about another 3% fee charged based on final value...that's quite alot...is there any other methods of paymet besides paypal that's safe and secure?

Paypal is the best imo and many people won't bid unless you take pp. it's too much risk as a buyer to send a mo or check or even pay with balance transfer. most buyers- esp of items that spency- want the protection of using a credit card.

it's really not that complicated though it does seem daunting when you first start out.

just know this: do not start your item for less than you want for it. that includes whatever fees you might incur. if say you want to clear 1300 you should price it at say 1350 or so on. i wish i could say you will definately make your money back but the reality is with listing, ebay and pp fees even pricing it at retail would incur some loss for you. but of course there's the burd in the hand philosophy.

i personally hate reserves. i believe you should price your items at the least you would be happy with and go from there. some people think the lower you start off your item the more it will encourage bidders. works for some, never worked for me. if you need to use a reserve i suggest saying what it is in the auction. that way all's clear and if anyone is going to bid that high to start with they will. i always ask what a reserve is when there is one and if they won't tell me i flat out won't bid. it's not a guessing game- it's just meant to protect the seller.

now what MIGHT be good for you is a buy it now. since this is a harder to find bag you can set a bin higher than retail. it won't cost much and you never know- you could have someone end up buying it right away- or someone bidding sooner to knock out the bin so no one snipes it from them.

anyway just some ideas. good luck!

thanks smooth, boy, it's really alot more complex than i expected...my friend told me about the 3% paypal fee, but i didn't know about another 3% fee charged based on final value...that's quite alot...is there any other methods of paymet besides paypal that's safe and secure?

It's Listing fees + Final Value fees on eBay of about 3-4% and on top of that 3% PayPal fees (but paypal fees could be more if your winner is an international eBayer - 4.5%). You can choose to only accept money orders, but then you are limiting the number of people who are willing to bid in your auctions.

In my honest opinion, based on the fact that you have no eBay history, I think expecting to get $1,475 or more for the bag is unreasonable.

Add to the reserve price the ebay fees and the paypal fees. So whatever u hoped to sell for, you have to add in the ebay paypal fees and that would be the lowest price ur willing to sell for. Hope this helps in calculating ur reserve price!

In my honest opinion, based on the fact that you have no eBay history, I think expecting to get $1,475 or more for the bag is unreasonable.

^ ITA with Mon on this one. Sadly, people are looking for bargains on eBay and unless the item is very rare or in very high demand, the chances of you recouping your total expense is rather low.

I did a quick search of Chanel ultimate soft bags on eBay and came up with these two listings:

An ended auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/Fabulous-CHANEL-Soft-Quilted-Leather-CC-Handbag-Purse_W0QQitemZ190096298639

An auction that's still currently running:
http://cgi.ebay.com/NWOT-CHANEL-QUILTED-RED-LEATHER-CHAIN-STRAP-PURSE-BAG_W0QQitemZ280100530316

I know that your bag is brand new, so the price might be slightly better. Still, you'd probably be lucky to get anything over $1000 as a zero feedback seller. :sad:

Like the other ladies have said, if you really are serious about listing your bag, start the auction at the minimum price that you're willing to let it go for.

Good luck, takeoutbox! :yes:

thanks so much lily for the links to the listing, i tried to do a search but nothing turned up...i guess odds are against me for selling it at what i paid for :sad:
aiy :sad: i didn'tt hink it'd be this tough...tks ladies for giving me a reality check