HW Repair on Brand New Old Céline Box Bag

lyxxx035

May 17, 2019
With some random luck, I was able to find an old Céline Black Medium Classic Bag in box leather BRAND NEW at a department store yesterday. It was never on display and I was able to use my department store points on the purchase (since Celine is never on sale). The SA shipped me the bag overnight and everything about the bag (leather, shape, straps) is immaculate except for a chip on the corner of the hardware. I didn’t notice it at first because the rest of the bag is perfect so of course now I’m debating what to do. I’ve emailed Celine to see if I can get this part replaced and provided my receipt along with the below pictures. I’m a bit concerned since I didn’t purchase in a boutique they’ll tell me NO and to follow up with the department store. I also mentioned in my email that I did not want to exchange the bag as this was an old Céline and I wouldn’t be able to find another one. Hoping they get back to me with positive news but if they can’t replace the HW, what should I do?

1. Keep the bag, it’s perfect in every other way, old Céline and I was able to save a few hundred dollars using my department store points.
2. Return the bag, chip on the corner of the HW is a dealbreaker.

1E1BBD15-A515-45EA-ADCD-5B276139F463.jpeg

5801052C-2943-4E1D-BE0F-A77F2C51276B.jpeg

5BAB5D64-4E59-406E-B9BE-A86C9564DAA8.jpeg

05EF5C44-4387-480B-B43C-395AB65D0233.jpeg

6BEFD557-7420-43DB-88B2-2FF2618D4926.jpeg

I'd see what Celine say, but if they won't replace the HW (I suspect they Will fix it.
I had HW fixed on a 3 y/o trotteur I brought from their concession in a London dept store free of charge)
I would keep the bag as its so small and barely noticeable but I would reach out to the store you brought it from flagging this and asking for some of your spent points back as a goodwill gesture

This is difficult.
I, too, prefer the old Celine bags to the new ones, but I think this chip is quite visible - maybe not right away, but I feel like after you noticed it you will just always see it again every time you look at the bag. But of course, everyone's different and you might actually get used to it and be fine with it.

I don't think it was right of the store you purchased the bag from to not inform the buyer of this defect unless they didn't notice it.

I'm interested to hear what Celine will reply, too. And like others suggested, I think you should inform the department store and ask for some sort of compensation. Please keep us updated!

Reactions: lyxxx035
I'd keep the bag, because it still has the old Céline logo, and send to a Celine boutique for repair.

I've had experience with hardware repairs.
I purchased my bag overseas, and repaired the bag in my local boutique (no receipt; only brought it in together with a dustbag)

Of course, I had to pay for the cost of repair, and the cost was decent/reasonable.

hope that helps!

Ah man this is a hard choice! Have you looked into repairs outside of the dept store and Celine? I'd love to hear which department store you found this gem at if you're open to sharing! Good luck deciding!

Wanted to update everyone as my bag is back! All happened super quick surprisingly, I shipped it to them on November 30, they received on December 4. Repairs were done and I had the bag back in hand on December 13! Uploaded some pictures, they replaced the front clasp and it came back perfect. I've been pleasantly happy with Celine after care service, this cost me nothing as they covered all shipping and repairs. So excited to have an old Céline Classic Bag in my collection!

Attachments

• 20201222_125502.jpg
    20201222_125502.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 56
  • 20201222_125516.jpg
    20201222_125516.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 59
  • 20201222_125533.jpg
    20201222_125533.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 56