Husbands and handbags

tetsubean

O.G.
Apr 7, 2010
I was just wondering if any of your husbands has bought you a purse without you knowing and was he successful in getting you what you like/wanted? I was at a party this weekend talking with another couple and my husband blurted out that I love purses. The wife proceeded to ask if her husband told us about the time he bought her a purse...from her face, I could tell it wasn't a success. My husband has never bought me a purse but he has definite opinions on the ones I buy. Just wondering :smile:

This is funny! My dh would NEVER buy me a bag that I didn't request.....it's much too personal of an item to take a chance with IMO. For the very same reason I would never try to buy him a wallet.
He was quite successful however in purchasing the very bag I asked for....that seems to work every time!

My husband usually has pretty good taste but every once in a while...like the one time he was trying to help me find a dress for a wedding and brought me what I think was a kimono style shirt that he swore was a dress...not in this lifetime, no how, no way!

He has not BUT he probably could as he does 'get' what i look for in a bag. However, he would much prefer to either take me or give me a GC for the boutiques. In other words play it safe. :lol:

I received "surprise" black leather map case yesterday.
Bought @ military surplus store.
Because man in my life thought would suit smaller/dog walking bag role.

Sweet thought. Might have worked.
Didn't.

After soaking in sun outside, being sprayed with vinegar & stuffed with coffee beans--still reeks of weird chemicals.
Color already peeling off/cracking, as bend straps.

His first epic fail.
All other bag gifts = perfect. Even surprises.

No wrong--easy to engineer fatal accident for map case, then move on. ;)

Yes. DH got me a gold MK bag for Valentine's Day this year. He went to the store, picked it out all by himself and proudly presented it to me at dinner that night. He was grinning from ear to ear, SO excited and proud of himself.

It's not something I would have picked out myself (too blingy) but I love that dang purse. The intent was for me to take it on our vacation to FL the following week and I did (even though I really missed my Hermes [emoji26]). It has now become my staple vacation/FL bag and everytime I carry it I remember that silly grin on his face. Priceless!!!

ps it also came with matching shoes [emoji23]

ImageUploadedByPurseForum1447903138.297927.jpg

ImageUploadedByPurseForum1447903181.682327.jpg

Reactions: sfmel
Yes he did and it wasn't a success. We were dating at the time and he brought one back from one of his business trip as gift. It was a Gucci bag and it wasn't my style. Wore it a couple of time and then it sat in a packing container for years until I gave it away. I don't like DH going into the boutique and buying me things. He gets easily persuaded by the SAs. After a few mishaps, dh just let me pick my own gifts.

He has gotten me a wallet and a bag, but both were items he knew I wanted to begin with. I don't think he'd dare to pick something out on his own, which is fine with me since I'm fairly picky! He understands this because he's the same way, I would never buy him anything to wear without him approving of it first for example, it's just wasteful to buy things that might not be used. For surprise presents we usually go for movie/concert tickets, books, restaurant dates, edibles, flowers etc.

I don't think DBF would be brave enough to try and buy me a bag on his own. He gives me money to buy what I want for Christmas and bdays, so he doesn't have to stress over shopping and I get what I want. Usually a bag.
That means no surprise presents, neither good or bad, for me. And I shop for him every now&then - he's hetting a new laptop backpack and Ray-Ban Clubmasters for Christmas. He'd never go out and buy those and I know he will throw a slight fit when he receives them but in the end, he will be happy. He just has this thing about spending money - he doesn't mind doing it for me but to buy "expensive" quality items for himself is totally out of the question. Go figure. :weird:

My husband would never buy me a handbag. Ever. Or clothes. Or sunglasses.
He mostly sticks to jewelry and Chuck Taylor's. I will wear any piece of jewelry that he buys me. Any color of Chuck Taylor's always get me. When he went to Vietnam on a business trip, he bought me two pair. He could do no wrong for the next week. LOL!

My husband has never bought me anything without my approval or guidance. I'm incredibly picky and indecisive which makes it even worse so he has no clue what i like, even aftee 12.5 years. He does support me with whatever i wanted to buy, bless him!
Oh he did actually surprise me a few times, but they were small gifts such as flowers or cute vday presents.

My husband was oblivious to any handbags. Gradually he'd see me get complimented on my various purses when we were out and about. He began to recognize some brands "in the wild" and ask me if a bag was a such-and-such. It was cute. He wouldn't surprise me with a bag due to all the choices out there, but he is generous to a fault with everything else.

My DH recently surprised me on my birthday with a handbag from Louis Vuitton, which he purchased all by himself for the first time ever.

DH was smart. He knows my SA and asked him what I like. Unbeknownst to my DH, I left a wish list with my SA, just in case. [emoji6]

Yes. DH got me a gold MK bag for Valentine's Day this year. He went to the store, picked it out all by himself and proudly presented it to me at dinner that night. He was grinning from ear to ear, SO excited and proud of himself.

It's not something I would have picked out myself (too blingy) but I love that dang purse. The intent was for me to take it on our vacation to FL the following week and I did (even though I really missed my Hermes [emoji26]). It has now become my staple vacation/FL bag and everytime I carry it I remember that silly grin on his face. Priceless!!!

ps it also came with matching shoes [emoji23]

View attachment 3192069

View attachment 3192070

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23], so sweet of you to carry the bag.