Hummingbirds

Echoes

O.G.
Aug 8, 2008
Summer brings loads of them. Zipping around certain flowers and bushes like bees. I've almost been hit in the head by one quite a few times. It's kind of funny to see them come up to you when you wear something red or orange.

Pity that they have to work so hard for such a tiny meal of nectar.

I've tried feeders, but they just draw bees and wasps and with the flowers in bloom the hummers seem to prefer the natural sources.

i love the hummingbirds!!! in PA at our house i used to hang the feeder and gets loads of them...very pretty and fun to watch....i did hang the feeder when we moved to long island last year but didnt get any...i miss them...lol

The other day, I happened to be looking out my second floor patio door into the back yard....and all of a sudden, a hummingbird appeared....facing me....about 2 feet from my face. She hovered in the air, almost appearing to be curious who or what I was....stayed in place for about 5 seconds, and then flew off. Amazing!

I LOVE them, too!

I used to see lots in California. I miss them.

I also can't hang a feeder because of wasps.

Oh well. I'll just focus on the bunnies, deer, and deer babies that cross my yard instead.

One of these silly things hit me in the head this morning while I was trimming some bushes. I had to look and make sure I didn't get too close to a nest, but I didn't see one.

I think these have to be among nature's most innocent creatures.

They've been all over here lately, even flying into the garage. I had to set some feeders out this morning and it took them no time at all to find them and start loading up. I figure they must be trying to build up their energy for migration.

^^they do fuel up for their migration. I've had my feeder out all summer and have about 3 hummingbirds fighting over the feeder. They can get a little territorial. I love them though!
Be careful with the garage......some garages have that red rope hanging from the handle and the hummingbirds think it is a flower and they can get stuck in the garage and die. I found one in my garage in some netting, alive, but weak. I let him go and he flew off, so I guess he was okay. The red rope hanging from the garage handle was the reason he flew in there, but then couldn't get out. I have since removed them.

I've been watching the hummingbirds all summer at our house. We have two feeders on shepherd's hook-type poles on our back deck. Hummingbirds are the coolest birds; so funny to watch. Mine seem to get rather territorial too. I have one that likes to perch on top of one of the feeders, and runs all the others off if they even get anywhere near it. I hate that they'll be leaving soon...I think my cats enjoy watching them as much or more than I do lol. But I'm sure they'll be back again next year when it warms up.

^ I've noticed that too! I love to hear them in the trees chirping away while we're out back grilling. Some of them have gotten so used to us that they will come down to the feeders while we're out there. I never knew there were so many different colored hummingbirds til we started feeding them.

I love Hummingbirds and I am sad that we don't have them in Germany. We do have a similar type of flying.. thing.

It's a type of butterfly but it's almost just like a Hummingbird. I enjoy seeing them on my flowers :biggrin: