HTF or VHTF Nailpolish Forum Etiquette

nejjie

H-Core Dusty Hunter
Jan 22, 2013
I know that the NP community has some rules regarding HTF polish. Specifically that talking about it is a no-no to avoid being taken advantage of at the place which can't be named.

Just wondering what the general forum etiquette is here since dusty hauls and HTF collecting is my main obsession?

I know that the NP community has some rules regarding HTF polish. Specifically that talking about it is a no-no to avoid being taken advantage of at the place which can't be named.

Just wondering what the general forum etiquette is here since dusty hauls and HTF collecting is my main obsession?

I guess I'm not in the know... 'cause I didn't know about any of that...

What are these rules I have never heard of?

Erm. If you mean when it comes to trading or selling, you can't do that at all here (HTF or normal polish). You're welcome to talk about the polish, post swatch pictures, haul pictures, etc.

...is that what you meant? :shrugs:

This goes for everything. People in Chanel, Hermes, etc. . . are always so scared to discuss most wanted, stock location, etc. . . because of this same reason.
I can't live like that :biggrin:

I am not sure how the 'rule' translates to NP sales, as many out there are NOT VHTF but are advertised as such. If you do a quick search, you can determine if anything is rare or special and get a good idea of actual prices. Often I see NP postings screaming Rare/VHTF/ discontinued, etc. when none of these descriptions are true. What is true is that if social media hypes something, it flies like a rumor and can influence demand and price. If one person goes gaga for a relatively unavailable ANYTHING, others seem to crave it. Looking back in regret for having 'missed' a superstar...

With handbags, this can be significant due to changes in design, workmanship, leather quality, place of manufacture or even brand ownership. Leather quality includes colors that remain stable with use, stress points that wear like iron, even patina, easy upkeep; all things that only time tells, which is why some of the best get away before we know how good they are! Swankymom is right, but I have seen pf members reveal and gush over a bag one day before listing it for sale, to promote their own item should anyone do research. So, it's really a mixed bag here. (pun unintentional)

Back to NP and dusties~ We all love to find something on our wishlist for a bargain. In fact, tho, many of the old formulas contain chemicals we can live better without, have degraded/separated, or are thickened and cannot be restored to original glory. It's more fun to look forward. Colors are always repeated. Finishes and fads (mattes, duochromes,holos, megaglitter,etc.) are mostly personal preference, so really no need to get caught in anyone else's bliss. I am happy for anyone who finds what they are looking for in any form at all~emotional, physical, spiritual, beautiful, peaceful, extravagant or economical~ all good!

Collecting itself is a hobby. Finding every piece of a LE collection~ of any kind, takes a certain passion and rewards the collector with a sense of satisfaction. This does not always have huge monetary rewards, and is not the point actually. Both handbags and NP can be viewed as works of art in a broad sense (OK forgive this pun, again, not meant as such). In theory, art should increase in value over time. In real life, it is useless unless we love to look at it and use it in daily life, for inherent usefulness or sheer pleasure/happiness. Only time tells if it is good art and we'd miss NOW if we are looking back or are waiting for some future point in time. Be happy in this moment.

If somebody wants to share their joy of anything at all, it's cool. Shared joy multiplies, just as shared pain diminishes. This is how creatures coexist, and why we are here.

yeah I know, deep.

where did Op find this rule ? Swanky, you said it goes for everything. Is an an unwritten rule and a custom based on fear of driving up prices amongst the honest folk ?

I am not sure how the 'rule' translates to NP sales, as many out there are NOT VHTF but are advertised as such. If you do a quick search, you can determine if anything is rare or special and get a good idea of actual prices. Often I see NP postings screaming Rare/VHTF/ discontinued, etc. when none of these descriptions are true. What is true is that if social media hypes something, it flies like a rumor and can influence demand and price. If one person goes gaga for a relatively unavailable ANYTHING, others seem to crave it. Looking back in regret for having 'missed' a superstar...

With handbags, this can be significant due to changes in design, workmanship, leather quality, place of manufacture or even brand ownership. Leather quality includes colors that remain stable with use, stress points that wear like iron, even patina, easy upkeep; all things that only time tells, which is why some of the best get away before we know how good they are! Swankymom is right, but I have seen pf members reveal and gush over a bag one day before listing it for sale, to promote their own item should anyone do research. So, it's really a mixed bag here. (pun unintentional)

Back to NP and dusties~ We all love to find something on our wishlist for a bargain. In fact, tho, many of the old formulas contain chemicals we can live better without, have degraded/separated, or are thickened and cannot be restored to original glory. It's more fun to look forward. Colors are always repeated. Finishes and fads (mattes, duochromes,holos, megaglitter,etc.) are mostly personal preference, so really no need to get caught in anyone else's bliss. I am happy for anyone who finds what they are looking for in any form at all~emotional, physical, spiritual, beautiful, peaceful, extravagant or economical~ all good!

Collecting itself is a hobby. Finding every piece of a LE collection~ of any kind, takes a certain passion and rewards the collector with a sense of satisfaction. This does not always have huge monetary rewards, and is not the point actually. Both handbags and NP can be viewed as works of art in a broad sense (OK forgive this pun, again, not meant as such). In theory, art should increase in value over time. In real life, it is useless unless we love to look at it and use it in daily life, for inherent usefulness or sheer pleasure/happiness. Only time tells if it is good art and we'd miss NOW if we are looking back or are waiting for some future point in time. Be happy in this moment.

If somebody wants to share their joy of anything at all, it's cool. Shared joy multiplies, just as shared pain diminishes. This is how creatures coexist, and why we are here.

yeah I know, deep.

where did Op find this rule ? Swanky, you said it goes for everything. Is an an unwritten rule and a custom based on fear of driving up prices amongst the honest folk ?

On my hunt for lists of HTF polishes to keep an eye out for I stumbled upon it on several blogs .... I guess it's not a big deal

Makeup Alley gets funny about people discussing hard to find polishes. Well, more specifically, if someone comes in and goes "what are all the htf polishes?" They tend to not get a straight answer due to the presence of eBay scalpers who then take that info and use it to jack the prices up on eBay.

People are pretty laid back here about that sort of thing, I wouldn't be too concerned.

Makeup Alley gets funny about people discussing hard to find polishes. Well, more specifically, if someone comes in and goes "what are all the htf polishes?" They tend to not get a straight answer due to the presence of eBay scalpers who then take that info and use it to jack the prices up on eBay.

People are pretty laid back here about that sort of thing, I wouldn't be too concerned.

Awesome. Thanks for all the feedback!