How's that No Communication working out for you?

Schientist

Schientist
O.G.
Oct 5, 2009
A coworker walked into my office the other day (not a start of a bad joke, I promise) and ranted that he'd purchased something from Ebay, had heard absolutely nothing from the seller, and when the item arrived and he went to leave feedback, he only had the option of 5 stars. He was so mad. Apparently he hadn't gotten any automatic tracking updates, acknowledgments, or anything, and had planned on dinging a star for it.

I had to laugh, and explained to him that Ebay now views "no communication" as the new "good communication." :graucho:

And have to admit, as a seller, I've mostly stopped sending my customary "thanks for your purchase! Your order has shipped, should arrive in x days, contact with questions, yada yada" email. Why? Because I was tired of sending them and answering questions fast and still getting my stars dinged for no reason.

But I do feel a weird sense of guilt, because even though Ebay has taken away all incentive for being a TRS, I still want to do a good job. But I still care less. Sort of. So sometimes I still send my emails.

How's it working for you?

I am trying to remember when the last time I dinged stars for “communication” was. I do not think I ever did that. Normally if I ask a question and do not get an answer, I do not buy from this seller. With the new rules now sellers avoid any form of contact so they can get the 5 stars. It does not bother me. And your co-worker can always put his feelings into the feedback.
Some sellers started to contact me directly avoiding eBay messaging system to let me know at my purchase is on the way. I appreciate it, because it shows they care.

I am not a seller but I do think that any type of communication is important..

I am not sure but when a buyer pays for their item isn't their contact

info provided to the seller?? So the email does not have to go thru ebay's system

or does it?? The seller could just e-mail the buyer or can't they??

I email back and forth with my customers a lot. Many are in other countries and don't speak English as their first language. I even use a translation tool to properly answer them.

I guess I'm just a chatty Cathy.

:giggles:

If my seller emails me regarding that the item has shipped or whatever, I always mention that in the feedback as "good emails" or something similar; if I don't hear from the seller after the auction but the item arrives fine, I don't say anything about communication.

If I ask questions BEFORE I bid and get no answers, I don't bid--that's the danger zone to me.

If my seller emails me regarding that the item has shipped or whatever, I always mention that in the feedback as "good emails" or something similar; if I don't hear from the seller after the auction but the item arrives fine, I don't say anything about communication.

If I ask questions BEFORE I bid and get no answers, I don't bid--that's the danger zone to me.

So true because you know they're not going to answer you after.

To be clear, I always definitely answer any questions I receive. I didn't mean to imply I don't :smile: I like this idea of replying directly to an email to avoid the messaging system! Good call!!

Ignoring it! I'm a low volume / mostly low value seller so as well as marking as sent in both ebay and paypal I am still sending my "thankyou / shipped / please let me know it's arrived" mail - and getting great feedback (from those that bother anyway!)

On the buying side, my recent purchases have been low value from business sellers, so as long as it's marked as despatched within their time frame then it hasn't bothered me. If I was buying something more expensive, however, a note would be appreciated & worthy of mention in feedback to make the distinction.

I asked a question regarding this in another thread before but didn't get any answers so I'll try here. I recently bought a couple of nail polishes on Ebay from different sellers. Low value items and there was no communications with the sellers. I was still able to choose my feedback. Nothing was preset at 5 stars. Anyone know why this is?

I don't care if the seller sends me a 'packaged has shipped' email or not. I only rate communication if I have asked a question or raised a problem, and base my stars on the timeliness and politeness of the response. Not whether or not I get what I've asked for. Most things arrive within a week and I wouldn't bother to contact a seller until a week had passed and the item is a no-show. Maybe that's just me.