How you buy a bag: tricks, routines, tips.

I should think that by now, when a good SA sees someone ripping the stuffing out of the bag -- that they have a serious shopper on their hands. They should fall over us, showing us other options if that particular bag doesn't work out. We are buyers!

Haha :roflmfao: that's such a good point TropicalGal!!

I've never actually taken the stuffing out of a bag...and I don't think I've ever made any bag mistakes...but then I tend to buy smaller bags, which don't change shape much with/without stuffing. And I am used to fitting a lot into a small space because I love little bags so I've never tried putting my things into a bag before buying it either. But trying it on is a must, as is a mirror! And I always shop IRL as:

1. I love to shop :biggrin:
2. I am lucky and have great access to shops
3. I like to see exactly what I am paying for before I buy it

But from now on I will empty the stuffing out when I buy a bag, if for no other reason than to show any enlightened SA that I am a buyer!!! :nuts:

rainrowan -- i am very much like you. i don't take the stuffing out until i am sure the bag is a candidate...

here's another question for you ladies: i am reading that many of us take the stuffing out to see how the bag drapes and looks. the look can change entirely as we know. however, i find that SA's look at me like i'm nuts, ripping out all the stuffing. if we are all doing this, why are SA's still surprised when we do this? are most other shoppers NOT taking out the stuffing?

Almost without fail, the Nordstrom SAs ENCOURAGE me to take out the stuffing and try my things in the bag.

This is sooo smart. There are those who want to do this to see how the bag looks, and there are those (like me) who need to see how the bag functions and how my stuff works in the bag. For me, that's the clincher!

Bags look so different without their stuffing. The Gerard Darel 24-Heures, when stuffed, looks like a sausage. When unstuffed, it looks like slouchy French chic (bon chic bon genre). I passed up on Gryson Olivia when I didn't take the stuffing out. It just looked positively lumpish. And then I see it on people and it looks great.

I take out the stuffing to check the insides, but I don't put my things in it. I know how much I carry and I can tell if it will fit. I do inspect it for loose threads and damage, and I always check carefully the inside corners and the inside pockets. If the bag is a used return, there is almost always something left in those places.

I put it on and there has to be a full-length mirror. I need to look at the bag on me and then I need to walk around and catch a glimpse of myself walking past the mirror to get the first impression the bag gives to others.

I also usually wear it around while looking at the rest of the boutique or department to get a feel if it will stay on my shoulder and how comfortable and heavy it is.

I do this too.

I also usually pull the stuffing out and put my wallet in there since it is my largest and heaviest item. That way I get a good idea of what my stuff in it is like but don't have to dump my whole purse in there. I like to get an idea of how the bag will change shape with a heavier item inside, how heavy it feels, etc. You can't tell this type of stuff with the stuffing.

I like to model it, make sure it fits on my shoulder without falling, etc.

If it has closures, I also close and open it a few times to make sure the closure won't bother me.

Some zippered bags cut your hands when you're going into them. And I'm wondering if the Mulberry Bayswater or Emmy or Roxanne are hard to get into because so many closures and locks... All this is very important for we discerning shoppers! I don't like messenger bags that have a huge flap, because you always have to lift up the entire flap to see what's inside.

wow, this is such a helpful thread! i recently bought a BV and it was gorgeous in person, gorgeous in the mirror, and felt wonderful. and then i brought it home and actually PUT THINGS inside. the shape of the bag changed. now, don't get me wrong, the bag was still gorgeous and i like the way it looks with things in it, but it made me realize how important it is to check first how a bag will look with things inside.