how would you handle this?

Queen Maria said:
I don't see anything wrong of being Honest!
Im sure the gift was from her heart and of
course I will appreciate her effort ! and by
telling her the truth also I think will not break
her heart and I think she will appreciate the honesty ! I don't know but I always like when people correcting me in right way or telling me the truth and I really appreciate that rather than
make me believed or pretend that they like
what I give ! and also it depends how close
your friendship is too ! My BFF and I doesn't have a problem with "honesty" plus,
I will never say " I don't like it or that's ugly !!!
One more thing, do u really think if she
doesn't see you ( OP ) using the eclipse
she gave u she won't understands it ??
and do u really think that you can hide it
from her that you told her that u really like
the bag but the truth is.. U don't like it because
it's fake ?? it will hurt her more if she finds
out that the bag is still in the closet for ages
or you donate it to salvation army or goodwill !!!

Again, this is just my honest opinion and I'm
NOT trying to argue or anything ;)

OP - being honest is one way of building
a healthy relationship ! I know it's hard to
tell her .. But, it's for the better ;)

First of all, the OP could have told her friend what she thought about the bag when it was first presented to her. She didn't because after all, it's a gift and she didn't want to hurt her feelings. So why say anything now. Eventually her friend will notice that she's not using it, maybe she will ask about it and maybe she won't. I'm sensitive towards the feelings of people, and I know how gift giving feels when you think someone is going to love what you've given them. Apparently OP sorta feels the same way. Your take on this situation is your opinion like what I said is mine, and I'm sure the OP will decide when or if she will discuss it with her friend. And BTW, I didn't or wouldn't suggest hiding the bag, giving it to Goodwill or whatever else you were saying, so find those posters and give them your spiel like you did me.

Sent from my iPhone using PurseForum

Last edited:
IMO...
I vote some truth.

Not sure all of the surrounding facts or how "close" you two are.
Instead of babying her... Educate her on LV, Counterfeits etc... So she knows its frowned upon & illegal. You don't want her working/supporting the wrong crowd if she is new to the States?

Being truthful may help WAY MORE than being secretive and i think she will appreciate the fact you are guiding her:tup:

aww thats so sweet... i guess its the thought that counts! i would say keep it and use it around her... i wouldn't be happy if i bought something for you and then you sell it or something even if it is a real or fake, its the thought and the emotional value that counts...

llmar304 said:
First of all, the OP could have told her friend what she thought about the bag when it was first presented to her. She didn't because after all, it's a gift and she didn't want to hurt her feelings. So why say anything now. Eventually her friend will notice that she's not using it, maybe she will ask about it and maybe she won't. I'm sensitive towards the feelings of people, and I know how gift giving feels when you think someone is going to love what you've given them. Apparently OP sorta feels the same way. Your take on this situation is your opinion like what I said is mine, and I'm sure the OP will decide when or if she will discuss it with her friend. And BTW, I didn't or wouldn't suggest hiding the bag, giving it to Goodwill or whatever else you were saying, so find those posters and give them your spiel like you did me.

Sent from my iPhone using PurseForum

I didn't say YOU said to hide the bag or
donate it to goodwill .. It's just an example
and maybe you missed it .. It's for OP ;)

I'm very sensitive on others people feelings
too but I won't lie if ..... That situation will
be ever happen to me ! Instead, I'll educate
her about Lvs . :peace:

sayakayumi said:
I agree with QM, I would find a nice way to tell her the truth if she was a real friend, but if the other person is more of an acquaintance I would just donate the bag and say nothing to her.

I wouldn't keep it either, I don't see why you'd need to carry something you don't like or have it waste valuable space in your closet for the sake of someone else's feelings. :shrugs:

yes, i would also rather hear the truth than to have someone else "pretend" they like something for the sake of "friendship"... there's too much fakeness in the world to lie to your friends, unless they're not really your friends, then sometimes it's better to pretend to avoid any friction...

True !!!

I don't agree with telling her the "truth" about the bag. I don't think you should see this as real or fake LV as much as you see it as a bag, a gift, from your friend. Don't let vainness or pride about the material possessions interfere with the relationship you have with this special friend.

Also, I don't think you should donate it or let get back in the market for fear it will get in the wrong hands and end up on ebay as a "genuine" bag.

BOBAErose said:
IMO...
I vote some truth.

Not sure all of the surrounding facts or how "close" you two are.
Instead of babying her... Educate her on LV, Counterfeits etc... So she knows its frowned upon & illegal. You don't want her working/supporting the wrong crowd if she is new to the States?

Being truthful may help WAY MORE than being secretive and i think she will appreciate the fact you are guiding her:tup:

Agree!

This same scenario actually happened to me when I was first dating my husband. His mom bought me a fake LV as a Christmas gift the first year we were together. I was shocked and thanked her for thinking of me, but I told her it was a fake bag and they are illegal to buy and carry (so that excused me from having to carry it and pretend!) His mom had no idea what LV was and that there were fakes out there...she just found it at Goodwill! I felt glad that I was able to educate her and get out of having a fake around the house! Maybe this same situation can be applied here?

i say let it slide;)!!! just keep it some where in your house and let her see it when she is over!!! how nice of her to think of you!!! and as for throwing it out :amazed: like some others have said?!!!! how rude it would be to do that!!!!!

The sale of illegal counterfeits is prohibited by law so you can't sell the bag, eBay or otherwise. Treat the bag like you would any other gift that is not your style: donate it, give it to someone who wants it, or toss out. You did your part by being graciously accepting her generous and thoughtful gesture but you are not required to make use of it.
i would not want to give you a present....:roflmfao: toss out???!!! that to me would be so rude!!!

I think I'd keep it and only use it around her. She obviously went beyond her means to show her gratitude to you so I think she'd really appreciate to see you use it. Since she probably spent way out of her budget, maybe you can think of some other way to gift her something back as well?

In addition to my input .. OP I just
want to share my own experience !
My BFF mother in law got me a fake
sunglasses from target $29.99 as soon
as I saw it .. I roll my eyes ( mean ) only
My BFF and I knows I'm not into fakes ..
Sunglasses, Parfum , bag or even fake
People !!! Moving on .. I don't want to hurt
Her feelings and I kissed her and told I
Appreciated the gift and how nice of her !
1yr after my birthday came and my BFF
MIL asked me if why I don't use the
Sunglasses she gave 1yr ago and where
is it .. Before I answer her my BFF told
Her .. That I don't use cheap stuff !
Straight on her face . Surprisingly she
wasn't upset instead she told me this ...
" Why you didn't tell me at the beginning
I paid $29.99 for that and I could've get
my money back or get you something else ?
I'm shocked and don't know what to reply !
She's right .. If I told her right on the spot
she can get her money back than wasting
it inside my drawer , I know it's not a lot
But for old people .. They think it's a fortune !
She was upset more that I didnt tell her and
pretend that I like it and find out out after a
year that I don't like it ! Lesson learned !

image-539536248.jpg

Attach the infamous target sunglasses
That still sitting in my drawer !!!

I cannot carry a fake bag just to show
To a friend that I appreciated her thoughts
of me when she's around then hide it to
the closet when she's gone . I'm adult now
and those days are over ( pretensions )
IMHO !!!