How would you dress for THIS wedding?

GypsyWater

O.G.
May 5, 2011
Hi everyone,

I am invited to a wedding in early June and I am a bit confused about how to dress.

The ceremony is in a church, 1 PM. The reception does not start til 5 PM, leaving at least a 2 hour time lag, maybe even more.

Do I wear two different outfits? or dress for the later event and keep the bling covered up with a jacket during the ceremony? Any hints would be sooooo appreciated. Thanks

I've been to weddings like that. Usually I wear the same outfit, but from what I could tell, around half the people attending would switch outfits, so it's entirely up to you. You could always adapt your outfit for the evening (i.e. adding accessories, different shoes etc.) if you don't feel like changing.

A strapless dress with a cover up for the ceremony. Jacket or little sweater similar to what Kate Middleton did for the evening party the day of the wedding. I think it was white angora bolero sweater. Or a really nice shawl. Then you can take it off and look dressier and as if you are wearing something a little different. You could take along a necklace in your bag that you could put on later for a different look as well. Just posting the pix for the sweater.

kateseconddress2x.jpg

Like everyone else has said, I'd wear the same outfit but sass it up with accessories. Or just wear the same thing.

Assuming you're wearing a dress, I'd stick with one that's a solid color--maybe something in a bold color that works both day and night? A pair of nude, silver or gold pumps work day to night.

One of those TART brand infinity dresses would be perfect for this type of situation. You could switch up how you wrapped the top between the ceremony and the reception and, voila, new dress :smile:

Thanks for the opinions. I have checked out that infinity dress in the past, and I think it's too young and revealing for me. it's a brilliant dress though.

I have some good dresses to choose from. It is WAY too easy to find a dress, don't we all know that??? I have three here with me at home and I just have to choose at this point.

Did I mention the perplexing timeline for this wedding? It is a 3 hour drive. When we arrive out hotel room will not yet be ready...I guess I will go into the hotel and ask to use a courtesy room or the gym, and change there. Nothing good can come of sitting in one's nice dress for 3 hours, right?

Thanks all!

@ GraceKelly --- I LOOOOVE that pic of Kate Middleton!!! I was not so crazy about the first dress but I love the second one in the photo.

Veering off topic, was Kate discussed here? I am new as of last week.

Thanks for the opinions. I have checked out that infinity dress in the past, and I think it's too young and revealing for me. it's a brilliant dress though.

I have some good dresses to choose from. It is WAY too easy to find a dress, don't we all know that??? I have three here with me at home and I just have to choose at this point.

Did I mention the perplexing timeline for this wedding? It is a 3 hour drive. When we arrive out hotel room will not yet be ready...I guess I will go into the hotel and ask to use a courtesy room or the gym, and change there. Nothing good can come of sitting in one's nice dress for 3 hours, right?

Thanks all!

I feel your pain about the hotel room not being ready! Been there and I will never go to a destination wedding again over that and what it cost me! The hotel staff suggested that I change in the ladies room! My DH went ballistic. The groom was walking thru the lobby when this was happening and was aghast and insisted that we use his room as he was not going back to it after the ceremony. The wedding couple was going to the Bridal Suite. It was very sweet of the groom and we did it, and then had to move the bags into out into our room during the cocktail hour reception. The entire thing sucked! I was glad that I had put my make-up on at home and all I had to do was change my clothes.

I would not wear the dress in the car, and worst case do what I did which was have hair and make-up all done so if you get stuck in the ladies room, it won't be as difficult.

I would just wear the same dress day and night. I wouldn't care. No way am I going to go home and change or have to buy two dresses for one wedding event. What if the guest is from out of town or far away? Just wear one dress, make it appropriate for the reception if you had to choose one, and just put a little shrug over the dress in the church. I wouldn't worry about it. You'll be seated in pews most of the time anyway. The reception is where everyone interacts and mingles.