How will monogram hold up in humid weather?

Uthra11

Jul 22, 2013
Do you all think DE is better suited for humid weather than monogram? I will be moving to a very hot and humid place very soon. Please share your thoughts. I am trying to decide between monogram and DE Canvas. Thank you.

I can't remember the source, but I had read that temps over 84 degrees F are not good for the canvas. (Cracking)
And never leave it in a hot car. Vachetta does darken faster in hot, humid weather. As soon as it would get very hot or cold, I wouldn't use my LV bags.

Hi, I live in a hot, humid climate year around and my experience may be a little different than what some of the others have posted. My first LVs were purchased in 2009 and I have pieces that I purchased new as well as preloved. Most of my preloved pieces were purchased locally so the previous owners were living in the same climate as I am. And I can honestly say that I haven't had too many problems and I have seen people carrying older LV canvas bags (say from the 1990s) and I don't really think they are any worse for wear than bags being carried in other places.

I think that a lot of people have concerns that humid weather will ruin leather, canvas etc. This was my concern as well so I avoided buying anything with leather for a long time. But after a while, I gave in and found it to be fine overall. As for the LV canvas, I don't find that it is particularly prone to cracking here. However, I have noticed that the canvas can become very soft and patent leather can become a bit sticky to the touch so you need to watch out for this. I think the biggest worry is water damage from heavy rain and so forth. I would also try to avoid taking bags out when it is misty outside since that might cause some condensation on the bag (although here there are not too many mornings that are very misty). I do believe the other poster is right about the patina. It may darken much faster in a hot, humid environment but if you are not worried about dark patina then that would no be too much of an issue. Also, sometimes lighter color bags may darken or yellow a bit . . . but that hasn't stopped me as you can see from the Speedy and NF in my avatar.

I think what you might do is start off with a smaller piece with minimal or no vachetta and see how you think it works for you. This is what I did when I purchased my first LVs in 2009. I started off with items like a cosmetic case, phone case, cles and card holder plus a preloved Musette Tango (similar to a pochette from 2001). All of these pieces are monogram canvas. They are all still fine - which is more than I can say for anything I had purchased previously in nylon or synthetic leather (thinking this was the better option, when in fact this wasn't since these materials are not durable at all). . . I lot of people chose Damier Ebene here to be on the safe side too as you say. Sorry for the long post! Hope this is helpful - And good luck with your move :smile:

Thank you so much for all the helpful answers. I went ahead and bought the delightful. And I already have neverfull in mon n DE, eva in mono. I will hav to take a little extra care, and I am ready to do it. :smile: