How/Why did you get bitten by the Dooney Bug? :-)

Where do you find the best costume jewelry? I used to be so into my accessories, forever 21, Claire's, Dress Barn!! But now to me even thinking of a Charming Charlies is too much. My style has also changed so much.. if I'm feeling into it I'll throw on a pearl necklace or stud earrings.. it's just easier for me that way. Have you seen the Paparazzi jewelry?
@pharaohkitten - Though I have a few items from the early 1970’s I particularly love, I got into Etsy and have a large collection of handmade that I enjoy wearing more than silver or gold now - just because it’s all so colorful! There’s some really gifted artists on etsy who take such pleasure in their wares! Plus, I’ve made a few long distance friends too.

@pharaohkitten - Though I have a few items from the early 1970’s I particularly love, I got into Etsy and have a large collection of handmade that I enjoy wearing more than silver or gold now - just because it’s all so colorful! There’s some really gifted artists on etsy who take such pleasure in their wares! Plus, I’ve made a few long distance friends too.
Thank you! I will have to check out Etsy, I do have a beautiful piece from.. Entymology? Thank you @Lilybarb!
So sorry for going off topic!!

Reactions: Lilybarb
I've always loved purses. Since I was probably 5 years old. My mom did not allow me to carry them back then, so I made my own out of paper. Like I colored a design, folded it in half, stapled the sides, and made a strap. Voila! I had a purse. Fast forward to high school, and I saw several of my classmates carrying Dooneys. In 9th grade. This was in the early 1990's. I so wanted one of these gorgeous bags! But my parents weren't into paying that kinda money for a handbag. I got my first Dooney in the summer of 1997, right before I started college. It was a British tan mini drawstring my mom purchased from Spiegal. Loved her! My mom also bought my 2nd Dooney my 2nd year in college from Parisians. It was a bone/cedar trim zip top shoulder bag. Loved her too! I'm now 38, and still adore Dooneys. Do I've had an admiration for about 24 years now, most of my life!

Do you still have your first two?

In the 1990s, I own an equestrian style saddle bag in bone with tan trim, but I have always been a Coachie. I always admired classic styles that not wear out easily. That was then. Anyway, during the early 2000s, I fell in love with the massive Gucci horsebit bag and it was a that time that Dooney created their own version in Anniversary signature. I owned the small, large and Giant. My favorite was the giant; I carried to work and found it a fantastic overnight/weekender bag. After that,I had come across QVC and at that tme they didn't offer very many styles and certainly not on EZ pays. (I'll confess that's part of the equation with QVC Dooneys.) Anyway, I fell in love with the Florentine collection--especially the small satchel in black. Then there was TSV hook. Some worked, some didn't. As I've gotten older, DB styles have appealed because they're not trendy, still contain vestiges of classic design and for the amount of money spent, are of decent quality. (Coach, on the other hand, has jettisoned its classic heritage and chosen to focus on more trendy, upscale and $$ bags.) My latest favorites in the Barlow/Flynn family.

Reactions: Dooneysta
As I've gotten older, DB styles have appealed because they're not trendy, still contain vestiges of classic design and for the amount of money spent, are of decent quality. (Coach, on the other hand, has jettisoned its classic heritage and chosen to focus on more trendy, upscale and $$ bags.) My latest favorites in the Barlow/Flynn family.

Like you, I like the often venerable styles and affordable price point of Dooneys but I'm surprised you think them only of "decent" quality. Every time I try a different designer bag in a comparable price range--e.g. USD $200-$350--I shake my head over the rather large gulf in quality between most other designers and Dooney.

To me, the stitching, the durability of handles and straps, the hardware of Dooney are far beyond "decent." I'd say they are very good to excellent depending on the particular model of bag.

Is there some designer or brand you do feel has "very good" quality, and can you share the names as a reference point for me?

Like you, I like the often venerable styles and affordable price point of Dooneys but I'm surprised you think them only of "decent" quality. Every time I try a different designer bag in a comparable price range--e.g. USD $200-$350--I shake my head over the rather large gulf in quality between most other designers and Dooney.

To me, the stitching, the durability of handles and straps, the hardware of Dooney are far beyond "decent." I'd say they are very good to excellent depending on the particular model of bag.

Is there some designer or brand you do feel has "very good" quality, and can you share the names as a reference point for me?
I agree with you about Dooney quality being very good. In my experience, across the Dooney line the construction, materials, and overall quality is excellent. I'm sure there are exceptions at lower price points or specific issues on specific handbags. But in general I find most other mid priced handbags ($200 - 400) to be far lesser quality than Dooney.