How versatile is oak?

peanut202

O.G.
Jun 7, 2006
Hi all!

I am deeply in love with the Alexa style, originally loved the OL but have all but given up hope of hunting one down. As I scroll through modeling pics and gaze at pictures of the oak Alexa I am falling in love with THAT one.

Because the shape of the bag is so classic I thought the OL would be a lovely pop of character. I would still LOVE to get my hands on one of these BUT the oak has caught me eye. I'm just wondering if the classic shape of the bag paired with such a classic color translates into a bag that is bit boring?

My question - as there seems to be quite a lot of variability in the oak color in terms of depth, leather, etc...do you find this color to be versatile? I do wear a lot of black but the black Alexa does nothing for me. The oak just appeals to me more. I'm just wondering if this bag would be a good investment in this color...

All opinions greatly appreciated!

I understand exactly where you are coming from. I was exactly the same; it took a lot of purchases for me to be able to buy a black mulberry bag. Now I have a couple in black I honestly and absolutely ADORE them. But, I had to get lots of other, brighter and more individual colours first. So, if it is your first mulberry then imho, you are right to get oak. It is more noticeable and it lifts and works outfit (as opposed to black which imo, refines an outfit and makes it simply sleeker). I think that oak works with pretty much all colours. it looks great with black clothes. Go get that oak alexa!!!!!! It is a beautiful style and SO useable :smile: xx

Thank you for all the replies! Sorry - OL = oak leopard. I do LOVE the style of Alexa so much and the more I see oak I love it...I may take the plunge!

I have a gunmetal Agyness (that I still love) so it wouldn't be my first Mulberry...but I have a black Balenciaga that I use quite a bit and is quite classic.

Also - I am 5'2 so I'm thinking the regular size...although I do carry quite a bit with me day to day (book, wallet, Chapstick/gloss, keys). I fear the oversize would overpower me and end up looking like a feedbag! Is the regular size still roomy?

Ugh, decisions!!!!

I think the oak is gorgeous and really suits the Alexa style. Oak looks terrific with a lot of different outfits, and it pops beautifully against black clothing.

I am about 5'2", and even though I am fluffy (that seems to be the current euphemism for fat), I still like the regular size on me. I would never be able to find my things in an OS bag.

I'm 5'3" and I have the OS Oak Alexa, which I love. The smaller one would be too small for me! I totally agree that oak is a brilliant colour that really goes with everything, and can really lift a black, navy or grey outfit etc.

I am 5'7 (174cm) and have 2 regular alexa's, they just looked better on me. But the few Alexa's I have seen irl have all been OS carried by ladies of different height and size and they all looked great. I think that if you get a chance to try and compare you will just know what you are comfortable with.
I love the look of the oak alexa, it really pops out when carried with a black outfit. For some reason though I am not great with oak bags despite being dressed in black a lot. Just personal preference I guess.

Last edited:
TheaBerry, how does the NVT oak wear compared to the Darwin oak? Is there any difference over time? The new NVT oak bags I have seen all look matt compared to the darwin oak bags that Mulberry used to sell. The NVT looks almost dry and undernourished!!

I see what you mean! I believe the nvt gets a richer looking patina once you've started using it, but looks rather dull when new - my oak bays is still too new to have started developing a patina (strange to buy something you don't think looks 100 % perfect, but will have to use to make it perfect). The nvt oak Joel I've got looks more like a patina'ed Mulberry - not dark, but more shiny and warm.

The old darwin oak bays I had looked better than my current nvt oak bays, but I'm positive the nvt one will look stunning in a few years!

I've never heard that nvt doesn't age a nicely as darwin, just that darwin leather usually is thicker.