How to Write Cheesy Pop Ballad Lyrics

caitlin1214

tPF Bish
O.G.
Jul 7, 2006
Introduction

We have all heard them playing on the radio and adding a sorry yet sappy undertone to the emotions we already feel inside. I am talking about cheesy pop ballad lyrics of course. There are just some timeless pop and rock ballads out there, that no matter how we put it, they somehow manage to stir up the emotions in us and make us all giddy. If you have ever wondered how to write cheesy pop ballad lyrics, here is how you do it.
Instructions

Difficulty: Moderately Easy
Things You'll Need

• Pen and paper
  • Fake emotions
  • Knack for poetry (or lack thereof)
Steps

Step One

Create the title. This is one of the most important steps in writing a pop ballad. You must think of a name for the song and make that the basis of your song.

Step Two

Write the first and verse. Now that you have a title, you may want to jot down a few ideas on what you wish for the song to encompass. Such as lost love, a person with whom you missed an opportunity for romance or a cheating significant other; the classic break-up is always a good notion as well. You want your lyrics to try and rhyme here and there, but more importantly at the opening and the closing of sentences. Usually your verses should be four to six sentences in length but can be longer if need be.

Step Three

Create the chorus. This is the most important part in writing a pop ballad. You want your chorus to be catchy, cheesy and heartfelt. Make sure to emphasize the main concept and underlying theme of the song. Pick a few choices words, and make sure to drag one of them out repeatedly.

Step Four

Make the second verse resolve something. If you had love and lost it, you have found it again in the second verse. If you didn’t have love but needed it, the second verse gives it to you and so on.

Step Five

Add a bridge. A bridge is like a change that distracts the listener from both the verses and the chorus; in effect spicing the song up. For a bridge you may want to talk about future trials and tribulations or overcoming personal weaknesses that may get in the way of your new found love or may have caused you to overlook it in the first place.

Step Six

Proofread and edit. Is your grammar and spelling correct, do enough of the sentences open and close on a rhyme? Is your chorus short, simple and to the point, yet still catchy?

Tips & Warnings

• Try listening to current cheesy pop ballads on the radio or at home, you will get a really good idea of how to write lyrics this way.
  • Try not to get all emotional when writing a pop ballad; this may cause you to become upset.
(http://www.ehow.com/how_2151890_write-cheesy-pop-ballad-lyrics.html)

LOL that's classic!

I'm gonna do it, but it may take some time. After all, I don't want it to sound like i have no talent and just slapped it together to make a quick buck and will rely on appearing in the video clip semi-clad and gyrating on a beach while the tide washes up around me and soaks what clothing i am wearing while i gaze out into the sunset and play with my hair. That's just not what a pop ballad is about.

Hmmm... step 1... a title... a title... how about "You Left Me Standing at the Fountain in the Square?"

Lots of stuff rhymes with "square."

Feel free to help out at any stage!

Wowow, a perfect iambic hexameter! :tup:
Well, how's about this if we keep the title as the first line:

You Left Me Standing at the Fountain in the Square
There I stand still like the left ear of a hare

Next please???

If it makes it to the charts, we can throw the royalties into a big communal bag-fund! :graucho:

(*although Alexander Pope warns again monosyllables ("And ten low words oft creep in one dull line") but whatever...)

Wowow, a perfect iambic hexameter! :tup:
Well, how's about this if we keep the title as the first line:

(*although Alexander Pope warns again monosyllables ("And ten low words oft creep in one dull line") but whatever...)

Oh, thank goodness you noticed - I wasn't sure if my iambic hexameter would come through clearly enough!:P

Nothing says "14-year-old teenybopper" like iambs. You're clearly in my target audience, friponne! :lol:

LMFAO!!! That was the most hilarious thing I've read on this forum in a while.

Step Four

Make the second verse resolve something. If you had love and lost it, you have found it again in the second verse. If you didn’t have love but needed it, the second verse gives it to you and so on.

HAHAHAHAHAHA/infinity.

There I stand still like the left ear of a hare*
I try to find you but I don't know where

BRILLIANT. Pure magic!

I though we'd keep up the leporine theme:

you left me standing at the fountain in the square
there i stand still like the left ear of a hare
i try to find you but i don't know where
come back my rabbit, i need you heeeeeeere [insert soaring crescendo]

OK... cue chorus! :yahoo:

Bunny come back! You can blame it all on me!*
The back yard is so lonely when you're away. Bunny come back! Oh bunny can't you see?
I was a fool to forget to change your hay.

*with apologies to Ambrosia.

^^ Oh my god - i laughed so hard i think i damaged something :roflmfao:

Hmmm, verse 2: Make the second verse resolve something. If you had love and lost it, you have found it again in the second verse. If you didn’t have love but needed it, the second verse gives it to you and so on.

Perhaps we need to fill in the back story a bit before resolving the issue? let me think...

There I stand still like the left ear of a hare
I try to find you but I don't know where

Come back my rabbit, i need you heeeeeeere [insert soaring crescendo]

Bunny come back! You can blame it all on me!*
The back yard is so lonely when you're away.

Bunny come back! Oh bunny can't you see?
I was a fool to forget to change your hay.

*spoken* Oh, sweet rabbit, why'd you go away?
I didn't mean to treat you so bad.
I promise, I will do better.
Just come back to me.
I'm lost without you.
Bunny, please . . .
*resumes singing* I need you heeeeeeere!

[cue violins]

^:roflmfao::roflmfao: Oh, god, oh god, I think I re-damaged whatever I popped yesterday LOL *wipes tears away*

Caitlin, why have your untapped songwriting talents remained hidden until now?