Food How to transplant hydroponic plants to soil?

purly

resident knitting nerd
O.G.
Sep 30, 2006
I'm not sure what section this goes in, but I figured some of you might be gardeners so here it is...

I've been growing basil, thyme, dill, parsley, and a few other herbs in one of those AeroGrow things and the basil has grown too tall for the AeroGrow. So I want to transplant it to soil but I really don't have a clue about gardening. I try really I do, but I'm worried that if I just stick it into some soil I will ruin it.

Anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? :flowers:

Sorry, I've never heard of AeroGrow. But, I grow herbs and have transplanted them quite a bit and they've done fine. Mine are outside year round though b/c we don't get snow where I am. I think if you put yours in an appropriate soil and did some plant food, you'd be okay. Are you going to keep them inside, like on a window or outside? I doubt I helped much, sorry!

Sorry, I've never heard of AeroGrow. But, I grow herbs and have transplanted them quite a bit and they've done fine. Mine are outside year round though b/c we don't get snow where I am. I think if you put yours in an appropriate soil and did some plant food, you'd be okay. Are you going to keep them inside, like on a window or outside? I doubt I helped much, sorry!

How do you put the roots into soil without crushing/twisting/breaking them? All of my roots are just sort of floating in the water right now.

If you are going to put them into a pot, I'd just get a larger pot than what you need, so the roots don't have to get broken/squished/etc. Whenever I transplant anything into a pot, I just do a larger pot w/ a good soil cushion on the bottom. If you are planting into the ground, my solution is always just a larger hole than necessary w/ a good bit of new soil and to be as gentle as possible. I have even squished roots down and everything turns out fine- just give plenty of soil for cushion and lots for cover. The plants may be in shock for a few days though, from your transfer. I would not transplant though if the plants were still quite young b/c they may die on you from the shock. HTH!

There are advantages of DIY organically grown food ; Such as free of poisonous chemicals , lack of quality , high prices. Do it yourself there isnt much to growing at least your vegetables most commonly used. Hydroponic makes this is extremely simple allowing you to even clone more from one single 3 dollar mother plant. Information free for you just to come and comment on my weblog first time created. Thanks
http://www.highdroponics.blogspot.com