How to tell your parents you're getting PS in Seoul?

usernotfound

Nov 26, 2016
I know my parents are against PS, so they'll definitely freak out when I tell them. Especially since I'm doing pretty much my entire face! I'll be 18 when I'll get the surgeries done, so I'll be an adult by then. So that's not a problem.

Does anyone have any experience with telling your parents/other people who you know are against PS?

My parents will probably say stuff like: "but you're already so pretty!" and "if you're insecure you should get a therapist and fix the inside". I know they're worried, but I just want a different look. I'm not extremely insecure or anything.

I am not 18 yet but will turn so in few months. I can fully understand how you feel. My parents didn't understand why I was thinking of getting plastic surgery at first. They told me that I was already good looking enough. They didn't know I faced a problem. Whenever I would smile, I could see my face becoming rounder and hence I stopped smiling. Many people would tease and bully me because of my smile. I couldn't share these things with my parents since in most asian homes one cannot freely share whats going on in our personal life. My ex had uploaded a picture of me mocking my face. It was then I was decided that I will pay any price to improve it. My parents already knew about the bullying part since I have attempted suicide several times before. When I explained to them why I wanted the surgeries to be done, they eventually agreed. You firstly have to be sure about the surgeries. Do you really need them? If it's yes, then I am sure you can convince your parents. Try talking to them about it when they are happy, it worked for me :biggrin:

There's a girl at my guesthouse who didn't tell her parents or fiancé but she's 28 not 18. If you're asking your parents to pay for your flights, surgery and accommodation then you should just sit down with them and discuss it with them ^^; if they disagree then you'll have to get surgery through your own means. In my case, I only told my mum I wanted to get FC and didn't tell her about rhino until 2 days before the surgery [emoji28] I'm also getting BA when we come back later in the year but I haven't told either.

Reactions: krod2017
There's a girl at my guesthouse who didn't tell her parents or fiancé but she's 28 not 18. If you're asking your parents to pay for your flights, surgery and accommodation then you should just sit down with them and discuss it with them ^^; if they disagree then you'll have to get surgery through your own means. In my case, I only told my mum I wanted to get FC and didn't tell her about rhino until 2 days before the surgery [emoji28] I'm also getting BA when we come back later in the year but I haven't told either.
can i see ur progress? also whats BA?

I already decided to pay for the surgery on my own. I never even thought of getting my parents to pay it for me. My mom did say she's willing to pay for food and accommodation for my trip though. (I already told my parents I'm going to Seoul after graduating, I just haven't told them why) I want to tell them, but I know they won't be supportive. They're Dutch caucasians, so they won't understand my viewpoint. (So am I, but I have the Korean mindset when it comes to PS and they don't) They're amazed by the things the Korean surgeons can do, but they always say "people should be happy with their own body", "one's body shouldn't be altered" etc. They'll kill me when I tell them I want PS. I'm afraid they'll kick me out or something. If I were in my 20's, it would be fine. But I'm not so it's even harder.

I guess I'll just joke around about me getting plastic surgery and then tell them I'm serious when I'm 18. If I just drop the bomb on them it definitely won't go well. Hopefully I can get my mom so supportive of me that she'll want PS too lol.

I am not 18 yet but will turn so in few months. I can fully understand how you feel. My parents didn't understand why I was thinking of getting plastic surgery at first. They told me that I was already good looking enough. They didn't know I faced a problem. Whenever I would smile, I could see my face becoming rounder and hence I stopped smiling. Many people would tease and bully me because of my smile. I couldn't share these things with my parents since in most asian homes one cannot freely share whats going on in our personal life. My ex had uploaded a picture of me mocking my face. It was then I was decided that I will pay any price to improve it. My parents already knew about the bullying part since I have attempted suicide several times before. When I explained to them why I wanted the surgeries to be done, they eventually agreed. You firstly have to be sure about the surgeries. Do you really need them? If it's yes, then I am sure you can convince your parents. Try talking to them about it when they are happy, it worked for me :biggrin:
The thing is, I don't need most surgeries on my list. Only ptosis correction and under eye fat grafting are necessary (and maaayybe v-line, because my sister always teased me of having a rounded jaw). The rest is purely because I want a different look/a new start. And ofcourse 'cause I wanna look prettier. :smile:

That's one of the main reasons it'll be tough. Most surgeries I want just because I'll look better, tbh. (and because to get a huge confidence boost, ofcourse)

You should definitely let them know you're going to Korea at least. My biggest fear would be dying on the table and no one knows what happened to me because I didn't tell anyone. Just curious, have you been saving for your surgeries? You have quite a list of surgeries you want and it's going to be costly

I am a few years older than you. I made a horrible decision by flying to Korea and not telling them I was getting a breast augmentation. They were INCREDIBLY disappointed that I went behind their back. Please do tell them, even if they say no, you can still do what you would like since you're an adult. As long as you tell them that is what you're doing, they will eventually accept it. They may not like it but they will be incredibly angry if you aren't honest. Just PLEASE don't lie like I did.

You're welcome to message me on tips that I have for your stay, how to bring it up to your parents, things I wish I would have done or things I shouldn't have done!

Last edited:
I'm in my mid 20s and didn't tell ANYONE. I travel a lot for work and only go home maybe once per year, so I'm hoping by then my family won't notice the difference enough to know I had surgery haha.

I made a horrible decision by flying to Korea and not telling them I was getting a breast augmentation. They were INCREDIBLY disappointed that I went behind their back. Please do tell them, even if they say no, you can still do what you would like since you're an adult. As long as you tell them that is what you're doing, they will eventually accept it. They may not like it but they will be incredibly angry if you don't be honest. Just PLEASE don't lie like I did.

Your post makes me really nervous [emoji24] can I pm you about it?

convincing parent will be difficult part. if you are are an Asian, more difficult.

assuming from your profile picture, you seems caucasian?

hm. i dont know.
you will have to make up a story to convince them.

"people made fun of my nose in school"
"there was one boy made fun of my eyes. such and such"
Yeah, I'm caucasian. :smile:

That won't help though. If I tell them I was bullied, they'll make sure I don't get bullied again instead of letting me change my face. :sad:

You should definitely let them know you're going to Korea at least. My biggest fear would be dying on the table and no one knows what happened to me because I didn't tell anyone. Just curious, have you been saving for your surgeries? You have quite a list of surgeries you want and it's going to be costly
I'm definitely telling them, even though it's tough. I'm saving up as much money as possible. I'm hoping to save up at least 17 000 euros. :smile:

I am a few years older than you. I made a horrible decision by flying to Korea and not telling them I was getting a breast augmentation. They were INCREDIBLY disappointed that I went behind their back. Please do tell them, even if they say no, you can still do what you would like since you're an adult. As long as you tell them that is what you're doing, they will eventually accept it. They may not like it but they will be incredibly angry if you aren't honest. Just PLEASE don't lie like I did.

You're welcome to message me on tips that I have for your stay, how to bring it up to your parents, things I wish I would have done or things I shouldn't have done!

Your experience sounds very similar to mine, I definitely agree with you. My biggest regret was not telling my parents before going.

Your experience sounds very similar to mine, I definitely agree with you. My biggest regret was not telling my parents before going.
May I know is it because your parents got furious and not supportive after they knew you went surgery? My mom knows I'll have my rhino revision soon however I didn't tell her I also plan to go for BA this time. I think she'll be 50%supportive (for this is what I want) and 50%against (for the risks and costs). So I don't want her to worry all day and night about me until my surgery is done. Still I'm not sure is this the right thing to do.