How to Tell if a Pre-Loved Bag Has Been Re-Painted?

Chamorrita83

Jul 1, 2020
Hi all!

I purchased a beautiful 2012 Chanel Beige/Brown 2.55 Reissue Quilted Calfskin Leather Classic 226 Flap Bag from Yoogi's *almost* 30 days ago (so I can still return it), and I'm having some concerns that it was repainted and I wasn't told, as I'm noticing some too-quick shift in the aging of the bag since I got it, and I've only used it 3 times.

What are some tips you have for telling if a bag has been repainted? I am sorry if this thread is elsewhere, but I couldn't find it.

Check around stitching. It's very hard to avoid going over stitching but thread will make the the dye/paint pool if gone over. Under-stitching could be different too.

Check comparison with leather threaded within the chain (is applicable)

Sometimes the leather will feel different or appear more matte.

Check original colour for the year, research photos of bags on tpf to compare.

Check age. If the bag looks immaculate and it's years old it would raise my suspicion. Even put away in a wardrobe leather still ages slightly.

Check wear inside versus outside. It's very rare that a bag looks worn and used inside and completely pristine outside

Hi I just bought a second hand white caviar double flap from a reputable seller and I’m also worried it’s been painted and I haven’t been told. It smells strongly of something - maybe a cream cleaner? And when I wipe it with a duster some white colour comes off on the duster. Did the OP ever find out if hers was repainted?

This might be helpful.

Reactions: nateaser14
Reactions: Ricks Krispies
Can anyone help identify if this bag has been retouched? TIA. I can’t check in person :sad: but love the bag and wanted to be sure. The seller does not see any signs but can’t really guarantee if it’s retouched cuz it’s vintage

Attachments

• 2F3C3460-E3DE-4015-B7BB-14AF82F004B7.jpeg
    2F3C3460-E3DE-4015-B7BB-14AF82F004B7.jpeg
    182.1 KB · Views: 58
Hi
Can anyone tell me if this look redyed vintage lambskin
the flap corners and bag corners have some wear of color as well does that mean its not been repainted
On black on black i cant see the holes clearly i may have to check in sunlight
I put some renapur and colonil on it thats it but when i put renapur , quite a lot color came off too i dont know if its because is 27years old bag or redye thats coming off

F8D9D87C-949C-43F1-8B0C-E8C9D6D9F11D.jpeg

CF51B1F4-83E0-4D7A-A658-C68D19A77100.jpeg

9BBC57F8-56EC-4E8F-8248-B7B3F39D6FFC.jpeg

30833352-0062-4862-94BB-1E28F484C50B.jpeg

296A717B-BCD6-42D5-AECC-511FF4C434BA.jpeg

5CF95CB0-33E0-4C9E-B9D5-4BA4DEAF40E9.jpeg

I need some serious help! I recently bought a gorgeous red Chanel jumbo in Lamb (ruthenium hardware), 19 series. Because I am obsessed with this particular red and the shade paired with ruthenium, I had to buy pre-loved of course, which I never ever have done before with Chanel (too risky, imo). I went with Fashionphile and paid $4835, and may have paid a bit of a premium because I did want the reassurance of being able to return and have had good experiences with the company in the past both selling my own bags and purchasing. BUT, the bag I purchased was redyed from Chanel. I knew this going in, but I was not expecting the redye to change the lamb so much. Honestly, the bag looks INCREDIBLE, the most gorgeous, saturated red ever, and the structure and everything else is completely pristine. I also don't actually mind the texture of the lamb now that I've gotten used to it......seems more durable and I certainly do plan to use this bag often and am not the biggest fan of having to baby my lambies, though of course I do anyway.

I'm a Chanel purist, and I'm trying to get over the fact it's been redyed. Am I crazy? Should I just use and enjoy the bag regardless of whether it has been repainted? Does anyone have experience with the longevity/durability of redyed lamb? I have scoured every single post on redying I can find but really need that specific question answered if any of you know. Did I pay too much for a redyed bag? I know prices have obviously soured out of control on the resale market. I'm well aware.

I do not have photos of the bag available with me to post, but it is truly stunning.

Thank you all in advance for your honest opinions or reassurances!!